Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Sony Reader Theme

I made a new theme (icon set) for the Reader. I think it's nicer than the original.

If you want to install it extract kBookIcon_Mod.zip to \files\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\script s on your SD card with the universal flasher from Igorsk and flash your Reader.

If you want to go back just overwrite with the kBookIcon_Ori.zip file and flash again.

Hope you guys like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	3681
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	4390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	2682
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	4391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	2359
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	4392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	2023
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	4393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	2051
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	4394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	2046
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	4395  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kBookIcon_Ori.zip (7.2 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: zip kBookIcon_Mod.zip (38.3 KB, 1327 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 07-11-2007 at 02:02 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Definitely very talented. Think about creating icons commercially.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Those really look great.. I guess I am going to flash my new baby once again
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
What Adanzas said.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
Great work !!!!
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
How did you manage to deactivate this "stretch the book title and increase font size to fill all the space"-function in the "books" menu?

Also: did you somehow use smaller fonts in the menu?
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeezle View Post
How did you manage to deactivate this "stretch the book title and increase font size to fill all the space"-function in the "books" menu?

Also: did you somehow use smaller fonts in the menu?
This is not part of this theme. To get the smaller font you need the main.xml file. This will change the font in the menu's and in the book menu as well.

You can get it here

Last edited by diabloNL; 07-11-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Wow, I get to improve the appearance of my reader! I am looking forward to installing it.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Thanks guys for the great response!

However, I found I made a little mistake. The "info" icon somehow managed to get upside down and shows now as an exclamation mark. I don't want to blame anyone but I think it was my cat. He likes to walk on my keyboard when I work and maybe he hit some shortcuts.

I just updated the file in the begin post so it shows an "i".

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Woow, this is très cool, diabloNL.

The time has started... let's customize our Readers!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Woow, this is très cool, diabloNL.

The time has started... let's customize our Readers!
Thanks! For all who want to experiment I attached the PNG files. To get the best results make sure your images that you place in the template have not more than 4 colors:

Black: #000000
White: #ffffff
Grey 1: #555555
Grey 2: #aaaaaa

You can use other colors too but I haven't figured out how the Reader handles these. It looks like the Reader will change your chosen color into the closest color of those four mentioned above. Probably the same way the picture viewer in the Reader works. So when you would increase the color depth of your template to 16bits and use full color icons it will work but most icons will look blurry and not as nice. Some icons will look nice but all depends of the initial colors used and how the Reader will adjust them to the four colors. If you leave the template in greyscale and your icons are also in greyscale they will look better but still not as good as when you use the 4 colors mentioned above.

In the attached picture you can see the difference:

"Books" icon is made with the 4 mentioned colors.
"By Author" icon is in greyscale.
"By Date" icon is full color.

Although the two last looks the same on the picture they look different in real. But the 4 color icon looks clearly sharper and nicer. You may need to adjust and play around with the 4 colors until the icon shows up best in the Reader. Or maybe I'm being Mr. Precise.

In other words; just do what you like most.

Just place the PNG files you changed in the folder mentioned in the first post and flash away. Don't forget to backup the original so you can go back if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	1358
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	4411  
Attached Files
File Type: zip PNG_Files.zip (21.6 KB, 825 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 07-11-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I'm very curious to know if somebody installed this theme and if they like it.

Anyone......Bueller?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I like them, and totally forgot about this thread. I will flash mine soon
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I like them, and totally forgot about this thread. I will flash mine soon
Thanks! Believe me it looks great on the Reader.