Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #31
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
sandisk micro-sdhc 8gb class 2 card worked fine (there were files on it just to be safe).
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #32
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
sandisk micro-sdhc 8gb class 2 card worked fine (there were files on it just to be safe).
thanks J.C., I've updated the top message.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #33
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezed View Post
Hi All, i just received my PB603 (aka Leggo IBS) and here is my two cents after a little bit of usage. I found no track about it in the user guide so here it is.

When you take a note on a book or html article or anything else, a pop up menu will ask you to save the note as an image. This image can be modified on the device with a preinstalled dedicated software. You can do this by going into the book TOC or directly from the "Notes" area of the device.
For each note you will see a blocknote icon with a '+' sign on its left. Use the pen to tap on this icon (tapping on the note title will bring you to the page of the note) and it will open a spolier and let you see the image of the note. Now LONG PRESS on the image and from the pop-up menu choose 'Modify'. This will load the image inside a drawing software from where you can underline, handwrite some notes etc.

Hoping this helps someone and sorry for my bad english
Well I'll be damned! You actually _can_ add your own comments to the note! On my 902, I can do it by selecting the note in the Note Application or in the contents of the document, and then pressing the Menu button. In the menu is the Edit command, that lets you type stuff into the note. The menu also lets you rename the note, so something other than "Note" appears in the list of notes. FBReader also shows a little pencil icon and line next to the selected area in the text, showing that you made a note for it (Adobeviewer doesn't seem to do this though). Excellent! This requires some passing out of karma!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #34
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
I've seen this in the 2.0.4 release notes about the color led which they 'fixed' so now its blinking amber when its charging and steady amber when its done, Which is true with my PB602 f.w. 20110120_602_NA_2.0.4.

from what I observed it seems the led now turns green whenever the device is active or something similar (i.e. when you turn it on or move it or flip a page).
This might be useful if you're not sure its working but doesn't strike me as anything other then a debug feature and frankly ... annoying.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #35
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@doublezed
Quote:
When you take a note on a book or html article or anything else, a pop up menu will ask you to save the note as an image. This image can be modified on the device with a preinstalled dedicated software. You can do this by going into the book TOC or directly from the "Notes" area of the device.
For each note you will see a blocknote icon with a '+' sign on its left. Use the pen to tap on this icon (tapping on the note title will bring you to the page of the note) and it will open a spolier and let you see the image of the note. Now LONG PRESS on the image and from the pop-up menu choose 'Modify'. This will load the image inside a drawing software from where you can underline, handwrite some notes etc.
doublezed, this is really amazing, though I was not able to reproduce all of what you managed to do: specifically, I did get to the point of saving the note as image, retrieving it in the contents menu, and seeing the image again (the spoiler you refer to): what I am missing is what happens after your "long press", i.e. I do get a pop-up menu, but I can only edit the text, and do not get the drawing software to open. So I have three questions to you:
1) could you explain again what you mean by "LONG PRESS"? Do you press with the stylus?
2) could you reproduce this same thing (i.e. calling the drawing programme) with buttons?
3) I am on the December version of 2.0.4 firmware, which version do you have?

@rkomar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Well I'll be damned! You actually _can_ add your own comments to the note! On my 902...
this works on my PB903 too - it definitely is a significant improvement on at least what I thought were the note-taking capabilities of these devices - thanks

(and karma to you both )

Last edited by paola; 03-03-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #36
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
hi,
to my knowing the Leggo IBS has a customized fw, so it could be possible that some functions are peculiar to this brand.
cheers
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #37
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
Paola it appears you're doing it the right way. Just to be sure, you can use buttons in the notes app and:
1. highlight the note with the image
2. press the Index button (the one with a stylized book on it)
3. the pop up menu with the "Modify image" entry *should* appear

teofrast you are right: ibs provided us with a custom firmware. But since ibs is a bookshop and they removed several features from the PB603 (like dictionaries and the rss feed reader) i never tought they could invest time (and money) on developing such a feature.
I'm a snooper so i downloaded the 2.0.4 firmware (ibs is 2.0.5) and searched in the .BIN file either for the string "Modify image" that for it's identifier in the it.txt language file but nothing. Got no time to manage to extract acontent.app - the note manager - from the firmware image and unfortunately i can't attach mine here without violating the copyright
Maybe IBS used a 'nightly' version of the firmware, if so at least it's a good news for the upcoming update!

If someone can check it's acontent.app with md5 -b, the result is:
8cf7cf78b016df5de979b9463d0e4eab

If i can i will post a video this week end so you will see this feature
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #38
atango
Enthusiast
atango began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902pro
Quote:
EDIT:
Discovere a way to use buttons instead of pen:
1. when you are on the page, press the OK button: this will show the 9 icons menu
2. choose the "Take a note" icon then press OK button again
3. now a little thin black bar will appear on the top of the screen. This black bar state the beginning of the block you want to became your note. Move it with the up and down buttons and than press OK
4. Now use the up/down button to highlight the area you want to note and press OK
5. Here the pop up menu with "Copy as image" entry will appear. Use up/down buttons to highlight the entry and than press OK
Hi,
After reading doublezed and rkomar's post, I found out note-taking is working in my PB902, too.
How to edit note is a little bit different, since there is no touch screen in PB902.
Here I am trying to explain it a little bit more organized way.
(Note-taking is the same as above.)

1. (In fbreader or adobeviewer) Press OK, then press "Contents" in the pop-up menu.
Now you can see the notes you took.

2. You can navigate between notes with up-down key. Select note you want to modify and press menu button then there will be pop-up menu.

3. In the pop-up, you can rename the note by choosing "rename" menu.

4. If you want to read or edit note, choose "Maximize" at the bottom of pop-up menu. Then you can read the saved note.

5. For Adobeviewer, you can only save note as image. Choose "Edit text" menu in the pop-up, then the virtual keyboard will be open. With keyboard you can type note in the note. The text will be added on the top of the note.

6. For FBReader, you can either save note as text or image. If you save the note as a text, you can edit the note itself. If you save it as a image, it is the same as Adobeviewer case.

Thanks doublezed

Last edited by atango; 03-04-2011 at 01:32 AM.
atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atango View Post
1. (In fbreader or adobeviewer) Press OK, then press "Contents" in the pop-up menu.
Now you can see the notes you took.
Even better, just press the Menu button and you get the contents page right away.

I have to say, though, that 'typing' with the software keyboard on the 902 gets old fast. I wouldn't want to have to take extensive notes this way. A bluetooth keyboard would be so much better.

For those with a 903, can you use the stylus on the software keyboard?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #40
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
For those with a 903, can you use the stylus on the software keyboard?
I have a PB 603 and it's the same as 903 but the display size. We can use the stylus to tap on the keyboard but it's too slow to take long text note because you have to wait that the key you pressed is highlited and then unhighlighted before you can press another key and this is really a slow process. You can tap fast on keys but system often loose some keypress and you'll be constrained to doublecheck the typed text.
I think this process would be much faster if they studied an highlight system thar requires less display update.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #41
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I have a PB 603 and it's the same as 903 but the display size. We can use the stylus to tap on the keyboard but it's too slow to take long text note because you have to wait that the key you pressed is highlited and then unhighlighted before you can press another key and this is really a slow process. You can tap fast on keys but system often loose some keypress and you'll be constrained to doublecheck the typed text.
I think this process would be much faster if they studied an highlight system thar requires less display update.
doublezed thanks for the explanation, I'll try it out (and I am on the "old" 2.0.4, so perhaps should upgrade): but just out of curiosity, do IBS have a public website with their 2.0.5 firmware?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #42
doublezed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
but just out of curiosity, do IBS have a public website with their 2.0.5 firmware?
Also if IBS told that upgrade will come, there is no tack of firmware download on their site. Furthermore they sell ONLY the PB603 and as i can understand you got the 903 with a larger display so the driver in the firmware could be different. The only is to wait or contact pocketbook, via the @pocketbook_int twitter account they are much active.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #43
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
We have the same problem with the 902, but I never really noticed it because navigating the keyboard with the buttons is so slow that the keypress animation hardly makes a difference (unless I just want to keep typing 'g' over and over). Try typing with the arrow buttons to select the keys and maybe you will feel better about the speed with the stylus.

The highlight system makes sense when navigating the keys with the buttons, but I can see that it would get in the way when using a stylus.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Also if IBS told that upgrade will come, there is no tack of firmware download on their site. Furthermore they sell ONLY the PB603 and as i can understand you got the 903 with a larger display so the driver in the firmware could be different. The only is to wait or contact pocketbook, via the @pocketbook_int twitter account they are much active.
ok, thanks - as for note taking, doublezed again many thanks, but nope, it definitely does not work for me: after perssing the "book" button the pop up menu gives me the following options: cancel, open, rename, edit text, delete, settings, minimise. But again, it could be an improvement of the 2.0.5, or it could be a feature in the January version of the 2.0.4 firmware, while I am still on the december 2.0.4. If anyone on the January version could double check, it would be very useful - at any rate once we know for sure I am going to edit the top message with doublezed and rkomar's note taking tips!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #45
yuryfdr
Connoisseur
yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.

Device: pocketbook 301, pocketbook 603
Straycat from Antuan (at russian forum) is also work on Pro devices
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18439
yuryfdr is offline   Reply With Quote