Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Well, every device allows you to read what you want (I don't know of any reader that's forcing you to read content you don't want), when you want (not heard of any either waking you up to read when you don't want to) and of course how you want (sitting, standing, etc.). I can't really see the point in this argument in favor of kobo.
What I want: I can buy from anywhere, or borrow from the library and read on my KOBO.

When I want: Battery life is great, don't have to worry about battery dying in the middle of a read, also with the light I can read in the dark without worrying if there is a reading light available.

How I want: Font, font size, line spacing, light or no light, and no handed in bed (other than to turn pages).

For me all good reasons to have a KOBO.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I don't want to feed the trolls, but the idea that the KPW is the best e-reader is a highly American view. The KPW is substantially less attractive in other countries due to Amazon's eBook libraries being quite a bit smaller. Here in Canada, at least for the books I read, the Kobo store is superior to Amazon (and credit to Kobo, although their recommendation engine is laughable, the store actually has a really great selection of books). I think Amazon's a great company, but 90% of what makes them great is confined to the US.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mostly Math, can you take some photos of the Aura HD for us to see please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

It has come to our attention that a number of posts in this thread are inappropriate and negative in content. If any one individual has an issue with the SUBJECT HEADING OF THIS THREAD, then you are advised to put this thread on Ignore - or else simply do not post in this thread.

Everyone else, back to topic, please.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #35
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

OK here they are (I hope)

Edit: I guess not . I will read up on how to add photos and then try again

S
Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #36
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
What I want: I can buy from anywhere, or borrow from the library and read on my KOBO.

When I want: Battery life is great, don't have to worry about battery dying in the middle of a read, also with the light I can read in the dark without worrying if there is a reading light available.

How I want: Font, font size, line spacing, light or no light, and no handed in bed (other than to turn pages).

For me all good reasons to have a KOBO.

S
That was one of my initial motivations for not opting for the kpw, but I've realized ebook conversion is a piece of cake in calibre and I've not had a problem whatsoever in sending my epubs to kindle this way. There's no library though, granted. Still if I were to use one via overdrive I 'd probably opt for a sony instead.

In terms of battery life and reading light, these are markedly good on any good eink device, kpw, nook. You seem to be well versed in ereaders to be aware of that.

Every reader has font and line adjustments, the kobo has more than most, but the hacks to get these to other readers are very simple. Much simpler than debugging the kobo imo. As for no light, in the kpw it can go so low as to be virtually off. But I 've not met a single person who uses their kindles with the light off unless in very bright sunlight.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I love my Glo. It is head and shoulders above my previously used ereader, the K3. I agree that Kindles do have features not present in Kobo (some synch stuff, email to device, 3G bookstore?) but if you never use them, you won't care.

I wanted an e reader with an SD card for increased and removable storage, which Amazon don't offer me. I sideload my books so I need good management features with my PC to do this: Calibre and the Kobo driver do this very well. The epub format seems more widely used online: I realise Calibre will convert, however, I'd prefer not to convert id I don't have to. If I can download in a format the publisher has provided, with it looking how they intend, I'd prefer it that way thanks (from someone who used mobipocket before Amazon bought it: I used to be fairly attached to my MOBIs). I like that I I don't have to use Kobo Desktop at all, but it is there if I want that option.

I read a lot in bed and I don't have a lamp (tiny flat), so I always used a lighted cover with my K3. It noticeably ate the battery. Now with my Kobo Glo, I have the battery on all the time and the battery life is excellent, and has adjustable light levels.

I love the look and feel of my Glo: matt black means no shiny distractions. The screen is clear, and the font choices are limitless and adjustable options on page and type are brilliant.

I love how my Glo shows series information on all my titles. However, I wish they would give us a series sort option to utilise it properly. I also wish they hadn't changed series sort behaviour on a previous firmware revision without warning or a series sort option.

I love the way we get regular firmware updates.

Overall: I love my Glo. I like Kobo a lot. I have zero regrets about opting for the Glo.

Last edited by Liesse; 04-21-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Having used kindles but seen only videos of the kobo, I think one thing they need to do is an overhaul of UI graphics.

On the kindles, UI elements are very dark and clear making them easy to use. For ex, the keyboard has dark shaded buttons, as opposed to just plain rectangles on the kobo (though the aura helpfully has number keys). Or look at the screen of the front light control. On the kpw, it's a large bar taking the entire screen, very easy to adjust just swiping finger up and diwn. On the aura, it's a small slider, requiring some fine finger control. It's a small thing, but it makes a difference in usability and overall look of polishness.

On the library page, the kpw is saddled with stupid recommendations, but the cover pictures are larger. On the aura, there seems to be way too much wasted space. On the reading screen, the aura looks like it is wasting more space with the header and status bar.

Even simple things like pop up definition look nicer on the kpw. The kobo, otoh, looks half done. The kobo almost looks like a third party, hacked UI, rather than the native UI.

I know, who cares about looks, right? But I think it matters a lot to the overall impression that the product gives. Kobo seems to have spent considerable thoughts on making their product stand out, with the quilted and now curved back. They should spend some time polishing the UI.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #39
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Having used kindles but seen only videos of the kobo, I think one thing they need to do is an overhaul of UI graphics.

On the kindles, UI elements are very dark and clear making them easy to use. For ex, the keyboard has dark shaded buttons, as opposed to just plain rectangles on the kobo (though the aura helpfully has number keys). Or look at the screen of the front light control. On the kpw, it's a large bar taking the entire screen, very easy to adjust just swiping finger up and diwn. On the aura, it's a small slider, requiring some fine finger control. It's a small thing, but it makes a difference in usability and overall look of polishness.

On the library page, the kpw is saddled with stupid recommendations, but the cover pictures are larger. On the aura, there seems to be way too much wasted space. On the reading screen, the aura looks like it is wasting more space with the header and status bar.

Even simple things like pop up definition look nicer on the kpw. The kobo, otoh, looks half done. The kobo almost looks like a third party, hacked UI, rather than the native UI.

I know, who cares about looks, right? But I think it matters a lot to the overall impression that the product gives. Kobo seems to have spent considerable thoughts on making their product stand out, with the quilted and now curved back. They should spend some time polishing the UI.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

On the library page, the kpw is saddled with stupid recommendations, but the cover pictures are larger.
You do know that can be turned off, right?

Also, I see the the Aura having smaller cover thumbnails in cover view as a good thing, you can see more of your covers that way.

I wonder what the "shelf" or "collection" covers look like? (On the paperwhite they are abominable).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post

I love how my Glo shows series information on all my titles. However, I wish they would give us a series sort option to utilise it properly. I also wish they hadn't changed series sort behaviour on a previous firmware revision without warning or a series sort option.
Can you give an example of how this looks?

Just type out what you see in your list. Is the series info shown automatically, or do you use Calibre to put it in for you?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Oddly, I enjoyed reading your post. Your post was reasonable and makes some good points. I would disagree with some of your points, the light slider for example. The slider on my Glo is large enough to easily use (and my hands are not that small) and I prefer to see all the text and images while I am adjusting the brightness for the area I'm reading in. But as is often the case, baby duckling syndrome. It's what I am used to -- my iPad uses a small slider to adjust brightness as does my phone so I find the one on the Kindle PW to be oversized and klunky by comparison. Do I really need to be told to use high settings for brightly lit rooms and lower settings for darker rooms?

Anyhow, I'd suggest not replying to this message here. It's just a touch off-topic.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-21-2013 at 02:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Trying again with some pictures.

OK, so assuming you see the thumbnails they are as follows:

1) home screen, which I LOVE
2) library (on reader only) which shows more of each title than my Glo did
3) sleep screen
4) beside regular size tissue box for size comparison
5) back.

If this works I will also post piccies of a PDF and the brightness.

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_101548.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	104688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_101606.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	104689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_101752.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	104690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_102039.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	104691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_102052.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	104692  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #44
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The pictures give a better idea about the front ui the videos I watched were rather vague on what is shown there, it actually looks useful.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #45
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
So no thumbnails in the library list? For me, that's disappointing as they provide a useful visual cue when searching through my library list. This is one of the things I preferred on the Kobo UI over Kindle UI.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote