Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Reading like a Writer - Francine Prose

I've read this a couple of times and always find it helpful, useful and often find something new that I missed or is just now making sense. She advocates 'careful reading' and provides tons of examples and excerpts from well-known books. I've had the hardback for a while but just noticed that there is an ebook available and so purchased it last night. So much nicer to have my useful books in ebook form!

(it is almost worth the price for the "Books to be Read Immediately" list at the end/appendix to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Like-W...+like+a+writer

P.S. Since the target appears to be writers I posted this here, but it just as readily applies to serious readers as well.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-28-2013 at 07:08 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Sounds like an interesting book ... but I can't help wondering if she changed her name for marketing purposes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wondered that myself but don't think so, at least as far as I can tell. I mean who would do that (other than Kim Dotcom)?

Last edited by kennyc; 01-28-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I read it last year in pBook. Had to order it from the US as I couldn't source it here. Lots of interesting suggestions - not sure I always agreed with her on which are the "must read" books, or some of the examples she gives as being the best illustrations of what she was saying, but certainly well worth a read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
kennyc

I don't think any writers (or readers) ever fully agree on "must reads" or best examples.

I personally don't care for the 'romance' type classics which she uses for numerous examples, but still found them informative.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't think any writers (or readers) ever fully agree on "must reads" or best examples.

I personally don't care for the 'romance' type classics which she uses for numerous examples, but still found them informative.
Agreed .

The romance classics was exactly my issue .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Francine Prose has been around for a number of years, and is a highly regarded writer.

To the best of my knowledge, this has always been her name.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I knew I should have added a smiley to my previous post. No offense meant to Francine Prose, I just thought the coincidence of the book subject and author name was rather neat.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Romance type classics? One more reason to buy this book. Sorry, Kenny, but thanks for the tip.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Romance type classics? One more reason to buy this book. Sorry, Kenny, but thanks for the tip.
Ha! If by that you mean Pride and Prejudice and the Bronte's then. Sure, yer welcome.

It's still a great book!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Her wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francine_Prose
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Hm. Well, I bought it, and I'm a few chapters in. The conclusion I have come to so far is that I don't read like a writer. I assume I read like a reader. I lose myself in the story, which is presumably what the writer wants me to do.

Of course, if it's a good book I've picked up, I will read it again, and again, and again, and will gain a little more each time, but I'm too eager to get to the dénuément (sp?) to take it one word at a time.

The thought that springs to mind is not seeing the wood for the trees.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
kennyc

I was just re-reading the chapters on "Characterization and Dialog" as I took my noonisn walk.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Hm. Well, I bought it, and I'm a few chapters in. The conclusion I have come to so far is that I don't read like a writer. I assume I read like a reader. I lose myself in the story, which is presumably what the writer wants me to do.

I absolutely read like a reader - which is why I am a horrible editor/proof reader. My skill at transparent on the fly error correction and belief suspension is off the charts.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Chuck Wendig- read like a writer
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote