Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Question Pdf with DRM?

I am thinking of buying an iPad.
But, I have lots of DRM protected (purchased) pdf-books.
Can I read them on an iPad??
OlleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleF View Post
TXTR app can handle Adobe ADEPT DRM scheme (PDF + ePUB).
It's not the most advanced app, but at least it can do.
On the plus side, TXTR is available for lots of platforms. I'm using it on Dell Streak (Android) as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Bluefire Reader handles Adobe DRM

You should check the Bluefire Reader thread. Bluefire is easier to use than Txtr in that you can simply manage eBooks via iTunes as with other apps like Goodreader
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
lazyartist
lazyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad is my only Computer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleF View Post
Just open itunes and add the books to your library and sync your ipad, ibooks should have no problems reading them.
As long as you are not trying to convert them or edit them, you should not have any problems importing DRM ebooks to any ebook reader.
lazyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
xristy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyartist View Post
Just open itunes and add the books to your library and sync your ipad, ibooks should have no problems reading them.
As long as you are not trying to convert them or edit them, you should not have any problems importing DRM ebooks to any ebook reader.
Maybe iBooks "should have no problems" but it actually does have problems. You can indeed send an Adobe DRM'd PDF to iBooks but you're not going to be able to read it - all pages appear blank. The only apps that I am aware of that run on the iPad and provide access to Adobe DRM'd PDFs are Txtr and Bluefire Reader. iBooks does not implement the Adobe DRM and a major clue is that it doesn't ask to authorize the iPad / iBooks when you try to access an Adobe DRM'd PDF. As it turns out Bluefire Reader is a good solution and many others here swear by Txtr - partly no doubt since it was the only solution until a few days ago when Bluefire was released.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
AndroidGold
AndroidGold began at the beginning.

Device: AG2 Android Tablet from AndroidGold.com
If you can send me a sample file I'd like to test it on the Android tablets we've got for sale at AndroidGold.com

Would certainly be another selling point over Apple's iPad if our tablets are able to access files that the iStore/iOS DRM management prohibits.
AndroidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
xristy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidGold View Post
If you can send me a sample file I'd like to test it on the Android tablets we've got for sale at AndroidGold.com

Would certainly be another selling point over Apple's iPad if our tablets are able to access files that the iStore/iOS DRM management prohibits.
You can certainly go to whatever store you want and buy any DRM'd titles that interest you in whatever format you think is compelling for whatever you're selling and see whether you can read it on that device. There is no major DRM format that can not currently be read on the iPad and there is no limitation imposed by either the iStore or the iOS in this regard. Trolling in the Apple forum for Android tablets seem particularly weird. Of course I'm weird to be replying.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidGold View Post

Asking someone to send you a DRM'd file makes no sense. You can't test using a file that is linked to someone else's Adobe ID. You should have already known that if you were really serious about testing.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I use pdfunlock.com to remove DRM.. Works for me.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
xristy
Connoisseur

Thumbs down Not so Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I use pdfunlock.com to remove DRM.. Works for me.
Actually you don't. You "might" use it for certain kinds of owner password protection BUT as stated on the site you reference:

Quote:
A PDF file can also be subject to non-standard encryption, such as DRM. PDFUnlock! does not remove such.
Writing such stuff just confuses readers who are not aware and is a waste otherwise.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
Actually you don't. You "might" use it for certain kinds of owner password protection BUT as stated on the site you reference:

Writing such stuff just confuses readers who are not aware and is a waste otherwise.
Well, I actually thought it removed DRM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
xristy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Well, I actually thought it removed DRM.
I apologize for being snarky.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't think so, my understanding is that the ipad is a proprietary format and therefore available from only one vendor and as such you can not use PDF and/or Epub with an ipad, you would need to buy your books all over again from apple. The reason that I will never touch anything from apple is that ehir are proprietary, which in IT is a curse word.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Don't think so, my understanding is that the ipad is a proprietary format and therefore available from only one vendor and as such you can not use PDF and/or Epub with an ipad, you would need to buy your books all over again from apple. The reason that I will never touch anything from apple is that ehir are proprietary, which in IT is a curse word.
That is so incorrect. We have apps like txtr and BlueReader that can handle ePub with (or without) standard Adept DRM. Also supposedly they can also handle PDF. But if the PDF does not have DRM, use Goodreader. Much better app for PDF. Plus there are the nook & Kobo apps. So yes, you can buy eBooks in ePub or PDF from other vendors besides Apple. And buying from Apple is a bad idea. So use these other apps to buy from sellers who do not climb into bed with the Agency 5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
David Munch
Scholar

Im reading my PDFs, my books, and everything else on my iPad.

I seriously don't get the hate against Apple, except that it is popular to hate them. 95% of users won't be affected by their restrictions anyway, and at the same time it makes things so much easier.