Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Thanks td,

I only tested with big documents and looked if the first few pages would get rendered. I can reproduce the problem you see very easy. I will have a look at it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Update: Oops a classical 'off-by-one' bug.

Last edited by Mackx; 09-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Bug while using Xournal for pdf annotating???

Hi Mackx, hi everybody,

Congratulations Mackx, congratulations to collaborators for the contributions. Xournal is getting better and better.

I have one remark:

Using Xournal for PDF files annotating looks very good. Unfortunately I've been recognizing one bug which prevent me to using this great feature. May be I am wrong but bug is confirmed each try.

The Xournal insert teh PDF pages to backround layer EXCEPT LAST ONE.

Why last page is not included?

Mackx all other experts I think bug is not very difficult to recognize and debug it.

Please try to improve this great feature to full functionality.

Thanks.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post

Update: Oops a classical 'off-by-one' bug.
How often have I made that mistake!
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
Xournal is getting better and better.
The pdf annotating functionality is mainly based on the work of the original developer of Xournal. He is using poppler_glib which is not ported/available on the DR yet, but it was not that difficult to use poppler directly. (I did not want to recompile poppler to include poppler_glib because the 'native' DR PDF viewer is also using poppler.)
Quote:
I have one remark:

The Xournal insert teh PDF pages to backround layer EXCEPT LAST ONE.
Is this the same problem that td was talking about in the previous message? You do not see the last page when using 'Annotate PDF'?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
jbbebg
Enthusiast

Quote:

Is this the same problem that td was talking about in the previous message? You do not see the last page when using 'Annotate PDF'?
Yes, it looks the same problem like td was talking about in previous message.
Yes, last page is ignored.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
Mackx
Guru

New update Xournal V6a

Additions to update: 6a (sorry for the confusing name)
- Annotating multiple PDF was not stable, improved on that.
- Last page can now also be annotated (stupid bug )
- The CropBox is now used (when specified in the original document) for calculating the scaling of annotations. This solves the problem that pthwaite found.

I updated the first message in this thread with the new installation files.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Thanks for that Mackx. Things are working fine now, I think...

pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
jbbebg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Additions to update: 6a (sorry for the confusing name)
- Annotating multiple PDF was not stable, improved on that.
- Last page can now also be annotated (stupid bug )
- The CropBox is now used (when specified in the original document) for calculating the scaling of annotations. This solves the problem that pthwaite found.

I updated the first message in this thread with the new installation files.
Dear Mackx, dear All,

Last page is included in the background layer. Fine. Thanks.

Just one additional questions:

What abut the search engine for text in the background or any other layers, is this possible?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #24
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Dear Mackx, dear All,

Last page is included in the background layer. Fine. Thanks.

Just one additional questions:

What abut the search engine for text in the background or any other layers, is this possible?
It seems that you want all the features that the native application also has ...

Can you explain why you would need it in Xournal? The pdf support in Xournal is not very good for reading books/magazines. So why search for words? Unless you want to use it to find some text markers that you put in/between your scribbles/notes. Mmmm that is interesting... let me think on that ....
Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
jbbebg
Enthusiast

Quote:
It seems that you want all the features that the native application also has ...
That's right. Yes, substitute for the fundamental pdf reader was in my mind. Xournal enables more optins while handling with the pdf, even new pdf equipped with the anotations may be printed back to pdf without using PC application...

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
That's right. Yes, substitute for the fundamental pdf reader was in my mind. Xournal enables more optins while handling with the pdf, even new pdf equipped with the anotations may be printed back to pdf without using PC application...
Hi jbbebg,

It will be difficult to get the refreshes correctly to minimise ghosting and maintain 'speed'. Also the caching of pages will be a big chunck of work that needs to be done to get the same performance. So I do not expect it will be as good in annotating pdfs as the native application. Maybe for some specific application (e.g. small pdfs).

I am looking if it is possible to read the scribbles of the iRex application so they can be merged and saved with Xournal.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
azad2002
azad2002 began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
Just installed the program, and just wanted to pop in and say that it is awesome!

Thanks for the hard work!
I agree that it's probably not suited to reading large documents (the reader's own software has a nice advantage there), but it's been able to handle some pretty large (pagewise) textbooks really well.

Great work!
azad2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
tjdean256
Zealot

Mackx,

I have run across an interesting bug in V6a: if you advance a page using the arrows or try to jump to a page beyond the end of the text, the last page is copied and appended to the end of the document when saved.

td
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Mackx,

I have run across an interesting bug in V6a: if you advance a page using the arrows or try to jump to a page beyond the end of the text, the last page is copied and appended to the end of the document when saved.

td
Hi td,

That is called a 'feature' . If you insert a page in the middle of a document (when annotating pdf) it also copies a page. When going to the end of the document and going down again, then a page is appended (the quick way to add a page at the end). So unlike the native pdf viewer/annotator, you will not run out of pages with xournal. Do you like the feature or is it 'bugging' you?

Regards,
Marcel.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
tjdean256
Zealot

Quote:
Hi td,

That is called a 'feature' ...

Regards,
Marcel.
Just goes to show that I don't know a good thing when I see it!

To me, the feature would more useful if it appended a blank page. It now appends a copy of the previous page and the annotation made on that page. Adding a new page from the menu does the same thing. I see that I can delete the accidentally created page, so the feature is reversible. The annotating a PDF function in Xournal has made reviewing manuscripts and grading student papers much easier than using the native annotation features. The merge function of the companion software does not work on my desktop.

?: Is it possible to run multiple instances of Xournal to work on associated documents simultaneously?

td