Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
monsieurms
monsieurms began at the beginning.

Device: palm 680
Question Scanning and removing footers/headers

Hi--I was scanning a chapter of an out of print book and while I can remove the scanner headers and footers manually, it is a hassle manually.

I usually scan to WORD after completion.

So, either from the scanning software (Abbyy) or WORD, is there a way to mass remove footers and headers, which usually consists of title and page numbers...?

THanks in advance.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I just do various search/replace tricks in Word. If the header/footer is a smaller font than the main text, search for that font type or size and replace blank. Or use a wildcard search. Once you figure out wildcards & regex, Word is actually pretty powerful for this type of work.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
monsieurms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I just do various search/replace tricks in Word. If the header/footer is a smaller font than the main text, search for that font type or size and replace blank..
Yep, that's what I've been doing---but sometimes I find a universal search eliminates legit language, not just what's in headers, so I wind doing it click by click. Even that is not SO bad.... but it just occurred to me that if I really understood either scanning or WORD, there must be some way to just say "remove headers" to get rid of (a)page numbers and (b) titles; in one step. (I've located WORD's delete headers command from the ribbon, but it doesn't seem to implement a universal delete.)
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
So, either from the scanning software (Abbyy) or WORD, is there a way to mass remove footers and headers, which usually consists of title and page numbers...?
Yes, you can do this automatically in Finereader 9.0. Check the options available when saving to Word editable text. It will occasionally miss a running head or page number, but it gets nearly all of them.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
monsieurms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Yes, you can do this automatically in Finereader 9.0. Check the options available when saving to Word editable text. It will occasionally miss a running head or page number, but it gets nearly all of them.
Cool...I'll double check that..
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

With Finereader Pro 9 you have a very easy way to do this:

1 - import the scanned images or scan into Finereader you book/part of the book;
2 - save that file as a Finereader document;
3 - save again with a different name - more about this later;
4 - select one page who is a example of the all of the pages;
5 - choose edit image and then crop. Format the “margins” of the cropping to zero left an right and below off the header on top and above the footer/page number on the bottom;
6 - select the option apply to all the pages;
7 - apply crop image.

Now you have your book/part of the book without header and footers and ready to be ocr’ed.

Take very attention: the cropping option is not reversible and changes the file you have saved immediately, so if you make a mistake you loose the work (in scanned into Finereader) or have to load all the files again if you have scanned separated.
That’s why my advice to save with two different names on points (2) and (3), so if you make a mistake you can always revert to the other files, save it with a new name and work on that one again.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

With Finereader Pro 9 you have a very easy way to do this:

1 - import the scanned images or scan into Finereader you book/part of the book;
2 - save that file as a Finereader document;
3 - save again with a different name - more about this later;
4 - select one page who is a example of the all of the pages;
I'd stop there, and zone that page (Ctrl-E in FR7), editing the text zone to be just around the main body text (with a bit of extra space into the margins, because pages are rarely exactly the same size, and a quarter-inch difference will throw the zoning block off.) If the header/footer zones as a separate block, just delete it.

Then save out the block (under Image/Save Blocks in FR7); I use the name of the book.

Then, in the pages window, select all the other pages with text in the same arrangement (which for novels is usually all of them), and load the blocks (Image/Load Blocks; navigate to where you saved it).

Then either correct the OCR, or flip through all the pages to make sure none of the text is cut off. If it is, adjust the block manually to fit the text; re-read page if necessary.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
monsieurms

Thanks (and obrigado...) I'll play with this...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Ha... a fellow speaking the Portuguese language, or at least understanding it.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote