Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Does Fictionwise use calibre?

I'm asking because I like the kerning on their converted book. (I'm assuming that's what it is; although, could it be a different font than BookDesigner's default font?)

What would I have to do - exactly - if I wanted to format a book to look like Fictionwise's books?

I use BookDesigner exclusively, and I like it. However, I'm in a playful (dangerous?) mood right now and want to experiment.

Also, I don't want anything to get "broken" with Sony's Ebook Library.....so any advice, calibre fiends?

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There was a previous thread where I believe that it was determined or confirmed that yes, they were using it.

Installing calibre will no way interfere with your Sony eBook software, as long as you do NOT install the calibre drivers. I think not installing them is the default on the installer anyway.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, Fictionwise does use calibre. However both Fictionwise and BookDesigner use the same installed base Sony fonts -- "Dutch" (Times) and "Swiss" (Ariel.) I have noticed no difference between the two in the look of the on-screen fonts. Both seem to use the default font spacing and ignore any special kerning data that my be embedded in the font file. Kerning would only be present in the final page display (not the file creation) and that is controlled by the Sony OS when it reads the LRF file. Since both programs create LRS files that are then converted/compiled into LRF files they do not contain kerning data themselves. Even when they contain a special font not normally found on the Sony Reader the reading of that file is still controlled by the Sony OS rendering engine. Also, given the power of the Sony CPU I doubt that it processes kerning data and spaces a line with just the standard glyph offset information.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I find that the fonts in files created with bookdesigner look to have a more bold appearance than those created with calibre.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynewman View Post
I find that the fonts in files created with bookdesigner look to have a more bold appearance than those created with calibre.
That's because the default paragraph font in BD has the "bold" attribute set. Turn it off if you wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Ahah! Thanks Harry. I don't mind it so much, it was just an observation. Good to know though.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Fiacha
Enthusiast
Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo H20, Nook Glowlight 3
I work around font files for a living.

Kerning data is stored in the font file by the font designer. All the shaping engine can do is choose to use it or not.

If you like calibre formatted books better, it will be because of the choice of font rather than anything else. That means that youshould be able to tell Book Designer to use the same fonts and get the same appearance.

Rember that most fonts were designed for use on printers that do at least 300 dots per inch while we have only 160 (and computer screens usually run 96). The more dots, the more precise you can be about placeing gyphs next to each other and so the better you can make the text look.

Microsoft has invested a lot in making fonts that look good at 96 dpi. If you get the chance, compare the fonts that were new for Vista with the older ones.

The ony problem with using better fonts is that most people won't have them installed.
Fiacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There was a previous thread where I believe that it was determined or confirmed that yes, they were using it.

Installing calibre will no way interfere with your Sony eBook software, as long as you do NOT install the calibre drivers. I think not installing them is the default on the installer anyway.

BOb
I own the Sony PRS-505, so there should be no drivers to confuse or compete with calibre....that is correct, right?

I understand this problem was with the Sony PRS-500.

Correct?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I own the Sony PRS-505, so there should be no drivers to confuse or compete with calibre....that is correct, right?

Correct?
I don't have the 505 but I believe that you are correct. Perhaps someone with a 505 can confirm that you can transfer books from either the eBook Library or Calibre with no driver issues.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Correct?

Don
Correct.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote