Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
chiefraven
chiefraven began at the beginning.

Device: none
MobileReader noobie =D

Hey fellas,

I'm new here, but i have been thinking of buying a device for reading ebooks for quite some time now. For crying out loud, i've downloaded so many ebooks, but never really read any of them because i just couldn't stand sitting in front of my computer and read the pdf page by page.... i just couldn't do it!@@#@ hehe

What ebooks would you guys recommend? How many types of mobilereader are out there? I'm sure some probably has more capability than others....

In addition, i would love to hear about your experience with your product, how much you enjoy using it.... does it strain your eyes, easy to use? does yours do anything else other than reading ebooks?

Lastly, should i get one now or should i wait for newer product if there are any coming out soon that might be worth looking into. if not, where do you guys get yours from? does anyone know a good place to buy them for cheap? and how much do they usually go for? =D

Hope to hear from you all soon.

-mike

Last edited by chiefraven; 03-27-2008 at 11:17 AM.
chiefraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Without knowing which country you live in (it helps if you add it to your profile!), it's difficult to be specific.

These days, most dedicated bookreaders use electrophoretic displays, more popularly called "eInk". This is a non light-emitting, and complete "static" display technology - like reading printed words on paper. Truly excellent for comfort.

The most popular eInk devices which can be used world-wide are, in no particular order:

- The Sony Reader (aka "Sony PRS505")
- The Bookeen CyBook Gen3
- The iRex iLiad

Plus, if you happen to be one of the 5% of the planetary population who lives in the US, there's the Amazon Kindle, but that's obviously of little relevence to most people, who can't buy it.

Really all of these are excellent devices - you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Best thing to do is to browse the forums for a while and see what's what. You'll soon pick up lots of info.

Hope that's of some help to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I thought the Sony Reader also had similar restrictions as far as where you are allowed to buy it, though obviously many people outside the US do buy and use it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I thought the Sony Reader also had similar restrictions as far as where you are allowed to buy it, though obviously many people outside the US do buy and use it.
The Sony Connect Books store only works in US, and the warranty is only good in US. But, I think people outside US have bought it from various retailers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Plus you can purchase eBooks in other formats and easily convert them. Just have a read around the forum. Also, you'll end up with DRM free eBooks too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Of course. Which is pretty much the same functionality you'd have with a Kindle if you weren't in the US. You can still read books on it. You just have to buy them somewhere other than Amazon, convert them, and load them via USB. Granted the Kindle is more expensive, but then it has search and dictionary lookup. It would be a shame to not get to use the nifty wireless features, but I don't understand why the Kindle is being singled out. If we're going to tar and feather a company for excluding the rest of the world, then Sony is equally guilty.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
chiefraven

oh i am in the u.s.
how much do they go for? does anyone know a web site where we can get it for a little cheaper than the retail price? =D

and which one would you guys go for if you were in the u.s.?

Last edited by chiefraven; 03-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefraven View Post
oh i am in the u.s.
how much do they go for? does anyone know a web site where we can get it for a little cheaper than the retail price? =D

and which one would you guys go for if you were in the u.s.?
If I didn't have one today... (all though I so I know it a bit better) I would get the Kindle... due to availablity of books, prices of books, and the ability to shop/buy from the device and also not needing to hook it up to a PC.

My second choice would be the CyBook... for the content availability... MobiRead books are easy to find.

BTW: I own a Sony PRS500.

BOb
Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
chiefraven

hmmm what do you mean? i mean i already have a lot of ebooks i downloaded... they are all in pdf format.... you mean some ebooks will only work with certain reader?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
hmmm what do you mean? i mean i already have a lot of ebooks i downloaded... they are all in pdf format.... you mean some ebooks will only work with certain reader?
Yes. Most devices support PDF, but a PDF formated for 8.5x11 paper shrinked down to a 5 inch screen makes it unreadable.

Most devices support some type of text format such as .txt, .html, .rtf. So, any books you can get in, or convert to that format will work with most/all devices.

Most devices support a "single" DRM (copy protect) format. Each device of course a different one. CyBook supports Mobipocket, Sony supports BBeB which is propritary to Sony's connect store, Kindle supports Kindle books (although I hear there are hacks to get it to support MobiPocket DRM since it's native format is basically Mobi.), iRex Iliad... not sure what it supports for DRM format.

Those are the big four for eInk... There is also the Hanlin V3 but that doesn't seem as popular.

There is also the eBookWise which is an LCD device.

Of course, most PDAs run the Palm Reader or is it eReader format.

That is why, if you really want something for PDF's for the most part... a tablet or UMPC is the best bet. Bigger screen, basically, plus it will run Adobe Reader, eReader, Mobireader... but then again, battery life is much sorter and weight is much higher.

Bob

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-27-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Of course, there is no standard format that is established for eBooks and PDF is one of the poorer alternatives for portable readers due to the fact that PDF files are usually intended to be printed and thus expect a paper sized display (either letter or A4) which is way to big to be easily carried around. The only reasonable dedicated eBook reader for PDF is the iLiad and it will read 1/2 page at a time. All the others are too small unless you have PDF's that are specifically made for small displays. Go to the top of the page and tap wiki to get educated on this subject.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Are there any mobile devices that read DRMed PDFs? I don't know which kind the OP has, but last I checked, you could only read the DRMed PDFs on a PC. Hopefully the OP's are DRM-free. If they are, you can convert them to various formats with the right software. The results vary based on the original PDF. I've had some that were just fine and others that came out wonky. Graphs and tables often ended up illegible or incorrect. Text usually isn't too bad, readable but a little off.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
chiefraven

but can't i just easily use an ebook reader software to convert whatever pdf i have into the format that fits for my own ebook reader? or does this application not exists? so this way it wont matter since the software will allow me to convert the regular pdf file into the size that fits onto my screen?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
but can't i just easily use an ebook reader software to convert whatever pdf i have into the format that fits for my own ebook reader? or does this application not exists? so this way it wont matter since the software will allow me to convert the regular pdf file into the size that fits onto my screen?
Well, if you control the source and are creating the PDF you can size it propertly for the device.

BUt, if you don't... well, at least for the Sony, it doesn't convert the PDF in any way. There is other stuff out there that will do it. But, you loose the layout, fonts and graphics. If it is 100% text, it won't be a problem.

The Kindle will convert PDF's... you can email it to your device for 10 cents or to a fee email address and they will email it back to you converted, and you can load it via USB. But, I have heard these conversions are hit and miss.

BOb

BOb
Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
There are conversion programs but there are many different kinds of PDF files out there with all kinds of special formatting needs. Some converters so an excellent job on some files but none of the converters can handle all of the files except for the ones that just turn them into JPG images and then display the image. When it is an image you hit the same problem of size onces again. Once they are shrunk to reader size you can't read them.

Currently none of the readers except PDA's support reflow in a PDF file so even if the reflow is set up and working properly in the PDF the readers don't know how to use it anyway.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote