Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Decisions Decisions

Well, I'm in the market for a new Tablet/eReader. I have a Nook Color, rooted. I use Mantano.

So I'm debating between the 7" Nook HD, and the Nexus 7.

I'm leaning towards the HD because of the expandable memory...especially since you can sideload apps via ADB.

Any thoughts between the two?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'd probably go for the Nexus. There's a 32 GB version now and to me that's more than enough storage. Waaaay more! But that's me, maybe not for everyone.
Even though I love rooting and fiddling, it's nice with something that is relatively "open" right out of the box!
Having said that, I wouldn't sya "no thanks" to a Nook HD... It seems lika an awsome device!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason I want alot of space is to put Comic Books on it on the SD card and then have the on board memory for books. Comics can take alot of space if good quality.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have the Nook HD+ 32 and love it. I have not tried the Nook HD. I have a number of PDF documents on mine and love having the extra storage for it. Not to mention I can have more than one card for different things.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
jhempel24 : Is there something similar to Apprentice Alf for comic books or is this something that I need to worry about? I am just starting in on digital comics and would love to know how to protect my investment.

Sorry for a thread jacking
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
jhempel24 : Is there something similar to Apprentice Alf for comic books or is this something that I need to worry about? I am just starting in on digital comics and would love to know how to protect my investment.

Sorry for a thread jacking
That I don't know, I just torrent them in all honesty.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
That I don't know, I just torrent them in all honesty.
You buy the paper comics first, I hope? I'm sure you're not advocating piracy, are you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard

advocating? not really. You get a digital comic with most comics you buy now.

I consider, and still do consider what I do a "try before you buy" If I find I enjoy them, then I'll buy. Or if I want to read X-Men/Spider-Man/Batman from the very very beginning I'm not going to go find and spend thousands of dollars on one issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would you have to spend thousands of dollars on one issue? You can buy a single issue, surely?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

Uncanny X-Men issue #1 went for $101,000 in auction. I'm talking comics like that....the very early ones.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Uncanny X-Men issue #1 went for $101,000 in auction. I'm talking comics like that....the very early ones.
Sorry, you misunderstood me. I mean surely one can buy them in digital form.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

Oh sorry okay.

I'll be honest I'm not so sure. It tends to be graphic novels and just the later issues that are digital now
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you are going for comics, 7" is too small. Especially if you don't have panel view. I'm 49 and I find I have to take off my glasses and hold my Nook Color very close to my eyes in order to read comics on it. It is not a great situation.

I just ordered the Acer A700 from Amazon, $350 for a 10.1" tablet with 1920x1200 resolution. It is more expensive, but for me the larger screen was worth it because I've already got over 1,000 comics on ComiXology.

If comics are driving your requirements, then go up to at least an 8.9" like the larger Fire HD, but I would really recommend a 10.1" for them. A Nexus 7 has 17.66 square inches of usable viewing area for a standard comic page; the 10.1" Acer (or any other 10.1 16:10 tablet) has 42.98 square inches of viewable area. (A standard comic page is about 68 square inches.)

Go bigger, it's worth it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Actually, comics aren't too bad on 7" screens - at least not if the screen is of a decent resolution (1280x800 or better). Been having no problems reading comics on my Arc these last couple of days - can't read at arm's length, of course, but I normally read comics & books only about 1ft away from my face...

A good way to try and see how reading comics would be for you ('cos it'll be different for everyone) would be, if it's out in your area, finding a place with Arcs you can poke at. The Kobo app should have a Star Trek comic in it that you can try out.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard

The 7" is fine. I read comics on my Nook Color with Comic Rack all the time. Just turn it to landscape mode and you're good