Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #646
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ewandeep: Same answer as the previous cases, clear the USB root, make sure there's no stray .bin file, restart your device, and then try again, after making sure you properly extracted the *contents* of the zip file.
Thanks, in the root folder of the kindle I have the following files:

ChangeLog.txt
README
README.txt
VERSION
WHERE_ARE_THE_SOURCES.txt
kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip
update_jailbreak_1.8.N_uninstall.bin
update_jailbreak_bridge_1.8.N_install.bin

I think it is correct, isn't it right?

the only doubt, I used the Mac to put the file inside, maybe some hidden file starting with "." could be inside. Could it be a problem?
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #647
Jiri
Jiri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White 2
Please help

Hello,
I tried to jailbreake my new Kindle and was not succesful. The line stayed grey out.

My device:
Kindle PaperWhite 2 (Wifi)

Bought in:
Czech Rep.

S/N:
90D4 ....

Thanks for help and advice.
Jiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #648
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ewandeep: Nope, you don't need any of that, you need the *contents* of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive, not this one, nor the archive itself .

@Jiri: Check the previous page for my first answer to @ewandeep .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #649
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ewandeep: Nope, you don't need any of that, you need the *contents* of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive, not this one, nor the archive itself .
Thank you, I was very stupid to misunderstand the readme....

Just a last thing to avoid to brick my kindle.

After the jailbreak, I have to install kindlet in order to install KUAL.
Is that the right file: update_kindlet-dev-20130710-k5-ALL_install.bin?
I wonder if it is the same also for Kindle Paperwhite 2?
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #650
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ewandeep: Yes . Usually, by 'K5', we mean the whole family of devices running FW 5.x (Touch/PW1/PW2).
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #651
Ecaz
Ecaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PW1 (Original)
Kindle 5.3.9 (2137120010)

I got an error:

The update was not successful: 007

rebooted (via single click power button)

Same message without the 007, but now the error is down below and said Error Code 3.

Last edited by Ecaz; 01-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Ecaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #652
Ecaz
Ecaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nevermind I'm an idiot.
Ecaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #653
IoanV
IoanV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Translation in other languages

Hi!

Do anyone know if we can get translate text in others languages - not present in options - (ex. Romanian), in kindle pw2? I use 5.4.2, jalibreak. (Or use other dictionary than we get in settings)
Country Ro.

Thanks!

Last edited by IoanV; 01-24-2014 at 12:01 PM.
IoanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #654
gsdariuoteiouywe
gsdariuoteiouywe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
PW2 Can't Jailbreak

Hey Guys

Thanks for your help in advance!

I can't jailbreak after unzipping the files into the directory - the "Update your Kindle" link stays grayed out.

Model: Paperwhite 2 Wi-Fi
Serial: B0D4
FW: 5.4.0

Just double checking I've extracted the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip file to the right place - when the kindle is mounted, extracted directly into this folder, not the system or documents folder?

Thanks!
gsdariuoteiouywe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #655
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gsdariuoteiouywe: Same answer as the others, clear the USB root, make sure there's no stray .bin file (5.4.2.1?), restart te device, and try again.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #656
gsdariuoteiouywe
gsdariuoteiouywe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
@NiLuJe

I had some files that calibre had left in the root directory.

After I moved these out temporarily after your advice, and then re-tried the process, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

Cheers!
gsdariuoteiouywe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #657
blogpirat
blogpirat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hey guys!

i successfully jailbreaked my kindle pw2 a few days ago. but i have to send the pw2 back to amazon, how can i remove the jailbreak from my kindle?

Thank you

blogpirat
blogpirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #658
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogpirat View Post
Hey guys!

i successfully jailbreaked my kindle pw2 a few days ago. but i have to send the pw2 back to amazon, how can i remove the jailbreak from my kindle?

Thank you

blogpirat
Just send it back, Amazon doesn't care if it's jailbroken or not. It would be a massive waste of time and manpower to analyze every Kindle that comes back. If it is to be refurbished, they'll just dump a new FW image on it anyway.

That said, there is an *_uninstall.bin file in the JB archive you downloaded. Put it on the Kindle and update it, and the jailbreak is gone. Surprisingly simple, eh?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #659
blamwham
blamwham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 5.4.2
'Jailbreak' sign and then back-up

Hi,

I have a PW2 90D4 with firmware 5.4.2. Bought in Australia.

I tried to get a grip on how to do the Jailbreak before I even turned on my new toy. I lost track of where I read what (I had to start way back at 'what can a Kindle can do'). Then I decided I will have to see if it all becomes clear while I actually do the jailbreak (and steps after that).

My first question is should " **** JAILBREAK **** " remain visible?

It appeared on my Kindle screen as expected. I restarted my Kindle, looked in Settings, and the Jailbreak text was gone. I plugged the Kindle back into my Linux laptop. The 'Kindle' directory appeared to be as it was before I extracted the files into it.
So I did a 'Reset Device' and repeated the above with the same result. During this second time I also enabled wi-fi and registered my device (not sure on the order I did these things - it was one whole hour ago ).

I decided I should probably ask silly questions before I brick my new toy.

If by chance I am on target, could you please point me to the steps to back-up my kindle in case I do brick it? Part of my confusion is around what I should be doing regarding the rescue pack, my version, and the scary 'README_FIRST' in the kindle-usbnet-0.15.N.zip file.

Thank you for reading. Sorry if I have missed the obvious.
blamwham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #660
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@blamwham: Nope, it's a one time message to give visual feedback that the JB process 'took' .

As for the rest, the wiki might be a good place to start.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch