Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Can a Rooted Nook Touch download books from the web or Dropbox/Sugarsync apps?

I'm having a difficult time trying to find out exactly how rooting will change what I can do on the Nook. I'm thinking of picking up a refurbished Nook STR, but I hate what I've read about the stock UI.

1. If I root the Nook, can I use the wi-fi to download my books from cloud services such as Sugarsync? (this is the most important thing for me)

2. Can I still read free books at B&N stores?

3. How well does the Kindle app run on e-ink?

4. What else do you like/dislike about the Nook STR after it's been rooted?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
The inability to delete sideloaded content without connecting the Nook to a computer really bothers me.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
The inability to delete sideloaded content without connecting the Nook to a computer really bothers me.
That would bother me also. The point of wi-fi, for me, is to bypass having to connect my reader to the computer. If I wanted wi-fi to be pointless, I might as well get a Sony PRS-650 in red, which is a beautiful little machine, the main con being that it has no wi-fi.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just talking about being able to delete books from the Nook...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm just talking about being able to delete books from the Nook...
No, I understand. I just mean that would be a reason I would have to hook it up, even if I'm able to download books. it would be less frequently, but still an annoyance.
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you are rooting you can use an app to delete just like you will be using dropbox to download the books nesler seems to be Kindle fanboy not actually reading the question.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Rooting touch allows you to install other apps you don't loose any of its original functionality.
They are no downsides apart from maybe loosing warranty
Hate the mobi format and have always avoided it so can not say how kindle app works. Last I read it refreshes the whole screen every time you turn pages but that problem was solved. You would be better off looking at the nook touch xda forums

Last edited by Dopedangel; 10-21-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
nesler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If you are rooting you can use an app to delete just like you will be using dropbox to download the books nesler seems to be Kindle fanboy not actually reading the question.
Actually, I was reading the question just fine. And I own a Nook Color and a PRS-600, as well as the Kindle 3. But thanks for assuming.

You're correct that I didn't answer his question, as I don't know the answer. But his main topic was expressing his reservations about the Nook's OS, and wondering if there were solutions. I added what my own concern about the OS was--the inability to delete sideloaded books without manually managing the directory.

If you root, you can use alternative applications to read (Moon+ Reader orthe Kindle app), and obviously you can delete the books you use in those apps, from within the respective apps.

But, is there an Android application that can access the stock Nook partition and delete side=loaded books?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Actually, I was reading the question just fine. And I own a Nook Color and a PRS-600, as well as the Kindle 3. But thanks for assuming.

You're correct that I didn't answer his question, as I don't know the answer. But his main topic was expressing his reservations about the Nook's OS, and wondering if there were solutions. I added what my own concern about the OS was--the inability to delete sideloaded books without manually managing the directory.

If you root, you can use alternative applications to read (Moon+ Reader orthe Kindle app), and obviously you can delete the books you use in those apps, from within the respective apps.

But, is there an Android application that can access the stock Nook partition and delete side=loaded books?
Root Explorer