Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
jerry2
jerry2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
How do I delete my contents safely?

Hi there

I have a Kindle Graphite which screen has gone defective. I can return it, but I have on it a Duokan firmware and the book I am writing (checking the grammar for the n-th time before I go to sleep ;-). Now if I return it, I must put original FW on it, is this doable without any trace of the Duokan? The second thing is how do I erase everything so that there would be no traces of my book? Is deleting from the windows explorer (deleting folder) enough? Is there some "secret" place in Kindle that stores my book? Or I am just beeing paranoid?

Thanx

Jerry
jerry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jerry,

I can't answer your question about the firmware. But deleting the book is easy. Just connect the Kindle to your PC or Mac, go to the Documents folder, and delete all the files in the usual way.

Whether or not that will remove all traces of your book probably doesn't really matter. I strongly suspect that, given the screen is defective, Amazon will just throw the Kindle on the junk pile. Or, at best, remove the salvagable components for recycling. I seriously doubt they will try to resurrect the device to sell to someone else, who will then hack it to find any remaining remnants of your book.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
jerry2

Yes, that is true. I guess that there isn't a "second storage" on the kindle itself if I delete the storage 4GB I deleted my book. If the title stays somewhere it really doesn't matter. Guess I am being paranoid.

Can anybody advise me if I can flash original firmware back without somebody noticing?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Can anybody advise me if I can flash original firmware back without somebody noticing?
Unless you bought the hardware in China with Duokan pre-installed, the original Kindle firmware is still there and doesn't need to be "flashed back." Just use the Duokan uninstall utility and delete the dk_ folders from the user mounted filesystem. Then maybe a Factory Reset. There may be a few stray files left laying around, but I don't think it's anything to be overly paranoid about.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
jerry2

THanx. So if I understand correctly Duokan is not really a firmware, it is more of a layer on the Kindle firmware? The ROM isn't flashed when I got DUOKAN?
Advert