Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #706
aprilsoup
aprilsoup began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
PW2 with 5.4.2 questions

@NiLuJe

Hi,I followed your insturction,but the Update Your Kindle link stays gray.

My device is WIFI paperwhite2. I bought it in Japan and shipped to China. My serial number is B05A.

Thank you.
aprilsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 AM   #707
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I've found out that Kindle Paperwhite 2 often ignores newly copied update files (Update Your Kindle stays gray).
Rebooting usually helps but the problem is, that an update file starting with lowercase 'u' is causing "Update error 4" on boot.
Solution is easy, rename the update file so that it starts with uppercase 'U'. Kindle ignores such update files on boot.
(That's because boot-time installed bundles are distinguished from usual UYK bundles with that lowercase 'u'.)

From now on, I will name my hacks like Update_*.bin .

Last edited by dsmid; 02-13-2014 at 02:36 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #708
aprilsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I've found out that Kindle Paperwhite 2 often ignores newly copied update files (Update Your Kindle stays gray).
Rebooting usually helps but the problem is, that an update file starting with lowercase 'u' is causing "Update error 4" on boot.
Solution is easy, rename the update file so that it starts with uppercase 'U'. Kindle ignores such update files on boot.
(That's because boot-time installed bundles are distinguished from usual UYK bundles with that lowercase 'u'.)

Thanks a lot,I will try
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #709
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, otaupd often falls on its ass and segfaults on new files. If you have a shell access, restart otaupd fixes the issue without needed to reboot .

@dsmid: Ooh, I might very well steal your uppercase idea, .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-13-2014 at 07:15 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #710
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
+1 to rsync.

And the books must be DEDRMed or they won't be readable on the new device, which has a different serial number.
Thanks for this info, but I run every ebook I get my hands on through Calibre before saving it to my backup HD. This way I don't have that serial number hangup.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #711
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
PW2 Search Function Not Working on Jailbroken 5.4.2.1?

This is a new one on me. My PW2 silently upgraded to 5.4.2.1, but my jailbreak was preserved and, after re-installing python, kindlets, KUAL and font hack and ss hack, all was good in my world. And, for good measure, added BackDoorLock in KUAL.

But now, out of no where, any time I search inside of any book using the search function at the top of the screen, it returns no results. I've tried with many different books and file formats, sideloaded, directly downloaded from Amazon, etc. Same result if I highlight a word and try to search for it within the book that way.

Is this an indexing problem? I have no indication that indexing is going on or hasn't previously fully run (battery is not discharging fast).

I would do a factory reset and start all over, but will I lose my jailbreak and the bridge that allows 5.4.2.1 to work? Or should I try something simpler, like deleting all of my books (ugh) and re-adding them one at a time?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone can offer here!

EDIT: OK, if search using "All Text" instead of "This Book" I'll get some results, but not the book in which I'm searching (and know the term exists). Deleted and redownloaded the book from the Cloud (fully paid for Amazon title). Waited for re-indexing. Still no go.

For indexing, does anyone know if it matters whether its an AZW3 file or a MOBI file? Or if it's DRM protected or DRM stripped? Sideloaded through Calibre or downloaded directly from Amazon? I wouldn't think any of those would make a difference, but I can't figure out why some titles are working with search, and others are not.

I guess I could also completely delete the Search Index folder contents, but given that redownloading a book didn't work, I'm think that will just be a big waste of time....

EDIT2: Deleted the Search Index -- but the Kindle is not re-indexing any of the titles now, even after a restart??? Result is search doesn't work on any title, even the ones it worked on before. Nor are those titles listed in ongoing indexing (when I do a nonsensical search from the home page).

EDIT3: OK, did it the long way. Did a factory reset (which I think did not erase the jailbreak, although I reinstalled it anyway and got the **Jailbreak** logo), and then reinstalled everything else, painstakingly one at a time. Indexing is now fully working on all titles, so I have no idea what happened.

Moderators, if you think this narrative will be of little use to anyone else, please feel free to delete.

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 02-13-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More info
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #712
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Thanks for this info, but I run every ebook I get my hands on through Calibre before saving it to my backup HD. This way I don't have that serial number hangup.
Just checking.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #713
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Originally Posted by nypaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just checking.
Hey, thanks for checking! The devil IS in the details.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #714
aprilsoup

uppercase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post

It worked out well
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #715
netwhr
netwhr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
the words **** JAILBREAK **** disappeared after a while. what happened?
netwhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #716
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwhr View Post
the words **** JAILBREAK **** disappeared after a while. what happened?
Just the screen was refreshed
Nothing to worry about, your Kindle is jailbroken.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #717
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Hi, I have a new kindle paperwhite 2 with fw 5.4.2.1
I copy everything to the root of the device (the update file has been replaced with upper case Update filename), but I get update error 007 everytime I try to do it, even after a factry reset.

What am I doing wrong?
Zirowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #718
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Zirowe: Check the FAQ in the first post (especially Q 2).

As for the lower/uppercase thing, err, which version are you using (and of what, actually)? The release from this thread, or the snapshot? If you're using one, try the other, on the off-chance I broke it in the snapshots.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #719
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Zirowe: Check the FAQ in the first post (especially Q 2).

As for the lower/uppercase thing, err, which version are you using (and of what, actually)? The release from this thread, or the snapshot? If you're using one, try the other, on the off-chance I broke it in the snapshots.
You mean "I can't figure out why the Update Your Kindle link stays grayed out (bis)?" this?
I don't have problems with the grayed out update option, because it's always aviable for me, but it does not start well because of the 007 error.

I'm using the one attached to the first post.
Where can I found the snapshot version?

Last edited by Zirowe; 02-18-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Zirowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #720
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirowe View Post
I don't have problems with the grayed out update option, because it's always aviable for me, but it does not start well because of the 007 error.
What is the exact name of the update file you are copying to Kindle ?
Didn't you change too much of its name when you renamed the file ?
Could you try again copying the original update file (+ the *.sh scripts) without renaming it ?

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch