Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
DigiCam1
Enthusiast
DigiCam1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wrong sorting of titles

Hello,
calibre always sorts books with titles like "the book" under "book, the".

How can I calibre force to sort it under "the book"?
DigiCam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Here are instructions from a few weeks ago: Managing book title display.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
DigiCam1
Enthusiast
DigiCam1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Here are instructions from a few weeks ago: Managing book title display.
Hi, Sabardeyn,
if I understand your posting, your column is showing der title like "book, the". Thats exactly not that, what I want. I want a sort like "the book", or didn't understood your posting?
DigiCam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCam1 View Post
Hello,
calibre always sorts books with titles like "the book" under "book, the".

How can I calibre force to sort it under "the book"?
Set the tweak 'Control sorting of titles and series in the library display' to 'strictly_alphabetic'.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCam1 View Post
if I understand your posting
You had to actually go to and read the tweak being referred to in the post to get the titles to sort as you desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Set the tweak 'Control sorting of titles and series in the library display' to 'strictly_alphabetic'.
@DigiCam Simply change your tweak (Preferences - Tweaks) as described by mbovenka above and you should have it exactly as you want it.

For the record though I take exception to the title of this thread. There is no "correct" way to sort titles, but It is my belief that most folks find the default sorting of "the book" under "book, the" (otherwise known as library sort) to be the preferred method for sorting titles.

Good Reading!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Ack, you were right and I got it exactly backwards. My apologies. As stated, change to strictly_alphabetic and you will see the books listed as you want.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
For the record though I take exception to the title of this thread. There is no "correct" way to sort titles, but It is my belief that most folks find the default sorting of "the book" under "book, the" (otherwise known as library sort) to be the preferred method for sorting titles.
I agree there's no 'correct' way but disagree about library sort always being preferred. I think it depends on what you're doing. When trying to compare two lists I prefer them sorted the same-and not all tools have 'library sort' as an option.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote