Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Not Black Friday, but refurbished Ipod touch 4th gen on sale at Apple for limited time. 8 gb $129.00 32 gb $179. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...ouch-8gb-black Just ordered one to replace my 1st generation which I have loved.

Last edited by Carmelreader; 11-09-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The 32GB Nexus 7 finally showed up in a BF ad. Office Depot will be selling it for $230. Hope it'll be available online.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I got the 8gb Sansa Clip Zip last year, and I have a couple of Clip+ players. I have different music genres on each, and now I want another Clip Zip just for audio books and old-time radio programs. I don't know why any buys any other brand of mp3 player--these are the best!

Why wouldn't you just get one iPod that holds all of that? I have the iPod Classic with 160GB that I have pretty much everything I own on it. I have music, audiobooks, podcasts etc. Wouldn't one device with everything be much easier than multiple devices with limited capacity?

I would think the price of the 160GB unit is much cheaper than paying for all those smaller capacity units too. The 160 iPod Classic is $250. Best Buy sells an 8GB clip for $60. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something but that just doesn't make sense to me to have multiples instead of one bigger capacity device.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The 32GB Nexus 7 finally showed up in a BF ad. Office Depot will be selling it for $230. Hope it'll be available online.
Thanks for that. If only I could subscribe to an alert for that one possibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Why wouldn't you just get one iPod that holds all of that? I have the iPod Classic with 160GB that I have pretty much everything I own on it. I have music, audiobooks, podcasts etc. Wouldn't one device with everything be much easier than multiple devices with limited capacity? . . . . The 160 iPod Classic is $250. Best Buy sells an 8GB clip for $60.
Perhaps people view each Clip they own as storing the perfect music for a given situation -- working out, relaxing, driving -- like modular mix tapes with miniplugs.

I'm in the 160 GB camp myself (the Classic is the only iDevice I own other than a laptop), but people's listening habits differ, therefore their tastes in appropriate hardware diverge.

Truthfully, any device I own becomes a kind of mix tape no matter how sprawling the amount of storage.

BTW: iRiver is coming out with a music player that plays 192kHz 24-bit FLAC files and looks to be a gorgeous successor to the iHP140: the AK100.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Why wouldn't you just get one iPod that holds all of that? I have the iPod Classic with 160GB that I have pretty much everything I own on it. I have music, audiobooks, podcasts etc. Wouldn't one device with everything be much easier than multiple devices with limited capacity?

I would think the price of the 160GB unit is much cheaper than paying for all those smaller capacity units too. The 160 iPod Classic is $250. Best Buy sells an 8GB clip for $60. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something but that just doesn't make sense to me to have multiples instead of one bigger capacity device.
It's just a matter of personal preference. I can add up to a 32gb micro SDHC card to the 8gb and 4gb Sansa mp3 players. I have one with Christmas music, one with classical music, one with all other kinds of music, and now I want one for just the audio books and radio programs. I could just swap out the memory cards, but the Sansas are cheap enough that I can indulge myself by buying multiple units.

On sale, the 8gb players are around $40, and the 4gb around $30. If one breaks, I'm not out too much money, and I still have the memory card to use in another device.

And I don't buy iStuff anyway.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have a player for my car, the back of the house (housework), and in the garage (yardwork). I like the fact that if something happens (stolen/dropped/water/etc) to one of them, then I don't feel too bad about it. I have a Samsung YP-P2, awesome for movies, music, make/receive calls through bluetooth, etc., but I don't use it anymore. I worried about leaving it somewhere, dropping it, etc.. So, it became a nice expensive little paper weight.

I am looking forward to picking up another clip zip during the sales. I got a good deal at Radio Shack last year.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The reason to have an old-school iPod was never the Apple aspect. You'd buy one refurbed and give it to your weird cottage-industry pals to perfect and mutate. One friend of mine used to confect special cables out of various precious metals and send them to me for the cost of the materials sans labor. Another would rewire it to bypass the internal amp and replace the body with bits of my personal choosing.

As popular as it remains, Apple gear isn't quite dominant enough to inspire that subcultural intensity any more, but the whole reason to buy one aside from storage used to be this: it was so mainstream that it was capable of becoming the strangest and most customized player of all, from idiosyncratic hardware to Rockboxed/Linuxed firmware.

That said, the iHP-140 kicked its wee metal buttocks and was the only music player of its time to allow the use of an external DAC by means of an optical out and an ADC through its one-of-a-kind optical in.

CatLady makes an excellent point about SDHC cards. It's rather nice to be able to remove the card when the player dies, and the possibility of expansion makes internal memory less significant.

The AK-100 has a card slot as well. All of the high-end players from Korea and China have that same capability and all iPods suffer for not including it.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
It's just a matter of personal preference. I can add up to a 32gb micro SDHC card to the 8gb and 4gb Sansa mp3 players.
Do you use Audible for audiobooks? I used to have a Sansa, but for some reason I thought I couldn't run the Audibooks off the microSD card (it was a very small Sansa). So my only iThing is the iPod Classic so I can stuff it full of audiobooks and not have to worry about adding and removing books as I listen to them.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Thanks for that. If only I could subscribe to an alert for that one possibility!
I'll send you a PM as soon as I find out something. Though it might not be until the actual online sales begin. I expect the online sales to start just after midnight on Thanksgiving morning eastern time.

This tablet is #1 on my list of BF purchases, so I'll be following it very closely.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
I got the 8gb Sansa Clip Zip last year, and I have a couple of Clip+ players. I have different music genres on each, and now I want another Clip Zip just for audio books and old-time radio programs. I don't know why any buys any other brand of mp3 player--these are the best!
Hear hear, Catlady - but purple ?

Lawks .....

Mind you, if there was a bright yellow one .........

Mmmm ... paint ... mmmm... I wonder......

No, mustn't - already got 3 ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Do you use Audible for audiobooks? I used to have a Sansa, but for some reason I thought I couldn't run the Audibooks off the microSD card (it was a very small Sansa). So my only iThing is the iPod Classic so I can stuff it full of audiobooks and not have to worry about adding and removing books as I listen to them.
It's supposed to be a device that can read the Audible format, but I have only listened to mp3 and wma audio books.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Hear hear, Catlady - but purple ?

Lawks .....

Mind you, if there was a bright yellow one .........

Mmmm ... paint ... mmmm... I wonder......

No, mustn't - already got 3 ....
Well ... maybe orange.

My only quibble with the SanDisk people is their use of boring black and gray for the 8gb versions. Why only purty colors for the 4gb ones?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

Perhaps people view each Clip they own as storing the perfect music for a given situation -- working out, relaxing, driving -- like modular mix tapes with miniplugs.

I'm in the 160 GB camp myself (the Classic is the only iDevice I own other than a laptop), but people's listening habits differ, therefore their tastes in appropriate hardware diverge.

Truthfully, any device I own becomes a kind of mix tape no matter how sprawling the amount of storage.

BTW: iRiver is coming out with a music player that plays 192kHz 24-bit FLAC files and looks to be a gorgeous successor to the iHP140: the AK100.

thanks for the tip. I was looking at the squeezebox touch, but they dropped all of them (and the prices shot up like crazy).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

I prefer several tiny devices to one large device. That way I can stash them about - home, carry, car, work - and never be without one. 4 x $250 = $1,000 vs 4 x $30 = $120. Besides, a Clip fits easily in the coin pocket of my jeans. Not so with the iPod classic.

Additionally, the Clips offer a large feature set - MP3, WMA, Audible, Ogg, FLAC, AAC (Zip only), FM radio, voice & FM recorders, stopwatch (Zip only), mSD card slot.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I listen to audible all the time on mine (+ and Zip). with books from three audible accounts and most on SD cards
koland is offline   Reply With Quote