Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
This is exactly why I am reluctant to buy a Kindle. As other have posted, I keep my library stored at home with multiple back ups, and it is all DRM free.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
This makes me very happy that my e-readers are not wi-fi.

Amazon is not even considering the possibility of some computer error (I noticed that in the above-linked MR thread about a similar situation, the "reason" was the same--a RELATED account was the problem) and that Amazon is denying the customer access to legitimately purchased content, without advance warning.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
oh good, one more reason for a merry DRM-free Caliber library. I feel a bit sorry for these kind of ignorant consumers, but not much: ignorance must be punished.

if you ever don't want anymore my Brazilian money you just tell, Amazon
How can you be ignorant of something you didn't know was possible? If a linked account is because they have the same address, then that's not fair and not right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Every book I buy is stripped and backed up on multiple drives. If they want my books they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
Apache
I love my Kindle and I don't have a major issue with my Kindle and access, however, having said that, I don't turn on my WiFi all the time and to Apache's comment: Ditto and Amen!

I paid for these books in whatever format, they are mine so if today it is Kindle and tomorrow something else, my library stays with me.

Last edited by chilady1; 10-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This seems to come up about ever six months or so...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173468
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158314
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
This is exactly why I am reluctant to buy a Kindle. As other have posted, I keep my library stored at home with multiple back ups, and it is all DRM free.
Then you'd have absolutely zero trouble if you followed the very same practices with Amazon purchases.

I guess I don't quite understand why anyone would feel any safer purchasing, de-DRMing, and backing up non-Amazon ebooks than they would purchasing, de-DRMing and backing-up Amazon content. If you're going to take a proactive stance on de-DRMing and backing up your own purchases, surely where you get your content from is of very little consequence?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My only concern or comment would be ... I guess is technically possible for Amazon, to check fur DRM free books?

If that's the case, I wonder what type of violation agreements we'll be incurring, as we should not strip down DRM in USA even if we legally paid Amazon for it....

And the follow up question ... does Calibre remove any potential file identification (Amazon books) after liberating the file???
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
And the follow up question ... does Calibre remove any potential file identification (Amazon books) after liberating the file???
Calibre itself takes no active role in the liberation (or identity cleansing) of ebooks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I want to know what is going on in the UK?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
She lives in Norway. Is she legally allowed to buy ebooks from EITHER Amazon.co.uk OR Amazon.com?

eP
Yes. What makes you think we're not allowed? Amazon.com sells an international Kindle to Norwegian customers, even with whispernet access. An extensive library of e-books is available to us.

This is why I always run my newly bought e-books through Calibre and a few select add-ons. I could of course go completely pirate but I think authors deserve at least some money for their books. Funny thing is, if I want to pay for books, Amazon provides the path of least resistance for us Norwegians.

If Amazon tries to pull similar crap with me, I will probably try to get help from Norwegian consumer authorities. The same guys that made Apple drop DRM in iTunes a few years ago.
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Every book I buy is stripped and backed up on multiple drives. If they want my books they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
Apache
Well, they'll have to pry my ebooks from my warm hard drive.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't give them ideas....
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Calibre itself takes no active role in the liberation (or identity cleansing) of ebooks.
The plugin does, but was asking about ebook metadata. For instance, Amazon mp3 files, come with a tag for it ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Yes. What makes you think we're not allowed? Amazon.com sells an international Kindle to Norwegian customers, even with whispernet access. An extensive library of e-books is available to us.

This is why I always run my newly bought e-books through Calibre and a few select add-ons. I could of course go completely pirate but I think authors deserve at least some money for their books. Funny thing is, if I want to pay for books, Amazon provides the path of least resistance for us Norwegians.

If Amazon tries to pull similar crap with me, I will probably try to get help from Norwegian consumer authorities. The same guys that made Apple drop DRM in iTunes a few years ago.
Because when a US publisher buys the right to publish a book, they might only have the right to sell it "in the US." Other publishers bought the rights to sell that book in other countries. I honestly have no idea how Amazon works in other countries, that's why I ask. When you log in to Amazon.com (is that what you do?), you can see all the books, or only the ones available to you?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Well, they'll have to pry my ebooks from my warm hard drive.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't give them ideas....
Believe me, some authors have had that idea for many years. I recall on who used to post to rec.arts.sf.written, on usenet, that he, personally, should have the right and ability to rifle through any computer, anywhere, at any time, looking for pirated copies of his books. And that the appropriate punishment for copyright infringement is to be gang raped in prison. He was entirely serious.

(Oddly, he doesn't post there any more. Go figure.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
oh good, one more reason for a merry DRM-free Caliber library. I feel a bit sorry for these kind of ignorant consumers, but not much: ignorance must be punished.
People who do not know about extra legal tools must be punished?

(I call the tools extra legal because, for one thing, we are not allowed to link to them here.)

We are not talking about failing to secure your wifi, or clicking on spam link.

I don't read many stories in the mainstream media about stripping DRM to protect stuff you buy legitimately from supposedly legitimate companies.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote