Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Looking for a good Google Play tablet

Anyone care to recommend a good Google Play- certified tablet? I'm looking for something in the 8" or larger size, with a storage card and bluetooth option.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
A2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Anyone care to recommend a good Google Play- certified tablet? I'm looking for something in the 8" or larger size, with a storage card and bluetooth option.
Take a look at the Lenovo Ideatab A2109 or S2109. The are both selling around the $300 mark. The A2109 has a 9" 1290X800 screen with an OMAP4 processor and the S2109 has a 9.7" 1024X768 screen with a Tegra 3 processor.

I wanted a iPa2 knock-off so I just ordered the S2109. If you are interested, when it gets here I'll post my impressions of it.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Depends on your budget, but both the Transformer Prime TF700 Infinity and the Acer Iconia Tab A700 would be my top picks - they come with high res screens (1920x1200) and pack a quad-core Tegra 3.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Depends on your budget.
My budget is a shoestring right now. I'm talking to AT&T about getting a cheaper wireless plan and move from a USB cell stick to a portable hotspot, but I don't have the money for a new device and activation fees just yet.

After all, I don't use Linux and FOSS everything, just for ideological reasons. The low sale price helps.

Edit: Just so we're all on the same page, my "must have" features are a memory card slot and bluetooth.

Last edited by teh603; 09-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I picked up the older Asus Transformer (TF101) on 1saleaday for $150. They do tablet flash sales pretty often.

I use a TF700 at work but I have no interest in upgrading. There just isn't a big enough difference to justify the price. It's still a nice tablet though.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Take a look at the Lenovo Ideatab A2109 or S2109. The are both selling around the $300 mark. The A2109 has a 9" 1290X800 screen with an OMAP4 processor and the S2109 has a 9.7" 1024X768 screen with a Tegra 3 processor.
The A2109 has the Tegra 3, the S2109 has the OMAP 4.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
The A2109 has the Tegra 3, the S2109 has the OMAP 4.
You are correct. Good catch - thanks.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
My budget is a shoestring right now. I'm talking to AT&T about getting a cheaper wireless plan and move from a USB cell stick to a portable hotspot, but I don't have the money for a new device and activation fees just yet.

After all, I don't use Linux and FOSS everything, just for ideological reasons. The low sale price helps.

Edit: Just so we're all on the same page, my "must have" features are a memory card slot and bluetooth.
The Transformer Pad T300 is another good option then.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

So I went by a store to do some comparisons, and the clerk suggested Asus or Toshiba(!). He said Acer was a good third pic, but hadn't ever tried a Lenovo one since they didn't carry them. I did receive one negative review of the Asus one, but that was several months ago and was one guy compared to the other recomendations I've seen.

I kinda prefer buying in a local store store because I can take it back for warranty calls easier than waiting for a call tag.

Anyone else got their own recomendations? Remember that my two killer features are a card slot and being able to use Google Play.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I picked up the older Asus Transformer (TF101) on 1saleaday for $150.
Excellent price. I got mine when they first came out and it's still a very good tablet despite newer models and Asus has done a good job with updates.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
So I went by a store to do some comparisons, and the clerk suggested Asus or Toshiba(!). He said Acer was a good third pic, but hadn't ever tried a Lenovo one since they didn't carry them. I did receive one negative review of the Asus one, but that was several months ago and was one guy compared to the other recomendations I've seen.

I kinda prefer buying in a local store store because I can take it back for warranty calls easier than waiting for a call tag.

Anyone else got their own recommendations? Remember that my two killer features are a card slot and being able to use Google Play.
Well it depends what type of files your mainly going to be accessing on extermal storage.
A nexus 7 with a OTG cable + NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER app -TOTAL price around $3 is great and at less than half the price of the other high spec tablets, its a real bargain.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189464

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Well it depends what type of files your mainly going to be accessing on extermal storage.
A nexus 7 with a OTG cable + NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER app -TOTAL price around $3 is great and at less than half the price of the other high spec tablets, its a real bargain.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189464
A Nexus 7 is a mite small; I saw another 7" tablet at the store and I'd really prefer something closer to the size of an iPad. It'd be dwarfed by the bluetooth keyboard.

As for the files, I'm going to be writing in .txt because that's what I always do. Write in windows-style .txt files, then move them to the desktop PC at home where I compile them into Smashwords or Amazon-ready documents. The only things I'm likely to put in system storage are wallpapers and ebooks.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Well if moneys tight then you will be a limited if you want a 9.7 inch screen ,so maybe a china tablet like the Onda Vi40 Dual core 32gb -$238 & Ainol Novo 7 Fire.

I was going to buy a Onda v40 myself but held off for the release of the nexus 7.

They don't have GPS and a few other gadgets like the nexus 7 but there a good price and this company is known in china to make good tablets.Also there screen resolution is a bit low for a 9.7 inch screen so it similar to a IPAD 2,And there is no bluetooth.
It terms of numbers sold there ,they put most big brands to shame.

YOU TUBE video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmhZiVwk1OY

On amazon uk you will find some reviews
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Onda-Vi4...cm_rdp_product

Onda Vi40 32GB Dual core version
- $238.45

http://www.amazon.com/Inches-Screen-...nda+tablet+9.7

Onda Vi40 Ultimate 16gb single core $215

http://www.amazon.com/Onda-Ultimate-...ds=onda+tablet

9.7 inch 1024x768 pixels IPS Capacitive Screen 5 Point Touch
Amlogic Cortex A9 dual core 1.5GHz CPU,Mali400 GPU
1GB DDR3,16 GB ROM
2.0 MP front camera
Android 4.0 OS,compatible millions of Android gaming/procedure application
Built-in Wifi 802.11b/g/n
Support 3G/G-sensor
Built-in 3D Accelerator. Support 3D gaming
The longest standby time up to 360 hours
Support Micro SD external memory up to 32GB

Screen:9.7 inch IPS Capacitive Screen 5 Point Touch
Resolution:1024x768 pixels
Operation System:Android 4.0
CPUA:mlogic Cortex A9 dual core 1.5GHz
GPU:Mali400
RAM:1GB DDR3
ROM:32GB
Webcam:Front 2.0MP
Wireless:Wifi 802.11b/g/n
3G:Supporting External 3G Modem
G-sensor:Support
Bluetooth:No
HDMI:1080P
Software Support:Office:Support MS Office Word, PPT, Excel
Gaming:Built-in 3D Accelerator. Support 3D gaming
Email:Gmail, POP3/SMTP/IMAP4
Video:AVI, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MKV, WMV etc.
Audio:MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC, WAV FLAC etc.
Picture:JPG/BMP/PNG/GIF
E-Book:PDF, TXT etc.
Ports:1 x Mini USB,1 x TF Card Slot,1 x HDMI Slot,1 x DC Jack,1 x Earphone Jack
Working Time:Up to 6 Working Hours
Power Device:AC Adapter Input 100/240V
Battery:6500mAh Li-ion Battery
Customers Who Viewed

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
They don't have GPS and a few other gadgets like the nexus 7 but there a good price and this company is known in china to make good tablets.Also there screen resolution is a bit low for a 9.7 inch screen so it similar to a IPAD 2,And there is no bluetooth.
It terms of numbers sold there ,they put most big brands to shame.
Lower resolution is fine by me; going above 96 DPI makes me squint. Bluetooth is a killer, though. I need to be able to connect a keyboard. This is going to be a writing tablet, not just a media player.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I bought an Archos 80 G9 Turbo tablet a few weeks ago and am very satisfied with it. It has a 8 inch 3:4 screen and is Google Play certified. Runs on Android 4 ICS and can play many kinds of videos. The special feature of this tablet is that it has a sliding door in the back which can be replaced by an optional 3G sim card holder. This compartment has a standard full sized USB port into which USB memory cards can be inserted (they have to be pretty small) and used as extra memory.
By the way, it also has a micro USB slot too and bluetooth. I have just tested the Sony bluetooth keyboard for their tablet on it and it works. If you want a bigger screen they also have the same thing with a 10 inch screen.
As Archos has just announced the imminent arrival of their G10 product line, the G9 machines are slowly being reduced in price so they are good deals at the moment.
Here is a review of the machine and other comments.
http://androidandme.com/2012/04/revi...-turbo-review/
Update:
Actually someone on Mobile already bought one and wrote about his impressions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175665

Last edited by Polyglot27; 09-14-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote