Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Guttenberg Project Book with Page Numbers

I don't know if it something I did or not but I am reading a guttenberg project book on my kindle-3 with page numbers.

I downloaded the epub version of The Red Badge Of Courage from guttenberg
Then, I went into sigil and added a book cover, don't remember doing anything else.
Then, from calibre I sent it to my kindle. It converted it to mobi for me.
I hit the menu button and now I see page numbers and locations....

I thought I had read some where it only worked with actual kindle books.

After 5 months of not having page numbers, do I really need them now?
I guess I can get used to them again....
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
That's calibre messing with your head

Seriously, calibre now uses amazon's "real page numbers" feature to add pseudo page numbers for your books. The pseudo page numbers don't correspond to any actual print editions. They're just estimations of pages in real books.

I like the pseudo page numbers because they're a little more human readable than locations, which are basically just the file size divided by 128. No doubt other prefer locations b/c they're more precise. But precision doesn't help if you can't freaking remember it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
When you sent the file to your kindle Calibre also sent the page numbers file *.apnx It is a new "feature" of the latest kindle firmware (to display page numbers) as of the last Release of Calibre that was added aswell. You can disable it within Calibre if you want (under preferances/plugins )
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
When you sent the file to your kindle Calibre also sent the page numbers file *.apnx It is a new "feature" of the latest kindle firmware (to display page numbers) as of the last Release of Calibre that was added aswell. You can disable it within Calibre if you want (under preferances/plugins )
In fact I had just upgraded calibre in the past few days also....
When all you want to do is read, it's hard sometime to remember what you did to get there.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
But precision doesn't help if you can't freaking remember it.
Spot on Barty!
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
I don't know if it something I did or not but I am reading a guttenberg project book on my kindle-3 with page numbers.

a little OT:

Gutenberg --> introduced modern book printing

Guttenberg --> introduced modern book copying

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote