Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #16
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
People have long had a fascination with death and apparently Samuel Clemens was no exception.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
Artfully2u
Artfully2u began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi there! I am new and found your question about cannons. I am guessing here, but I would think that the theory would be that the vibrations would dislodge the body from whatever it could be caught on and allow it to float to the top....or, parts of it as the body decompose.
Artfully2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Here's one:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...to-the-surface
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #19
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Excellent article.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Great link. Thanks.

This thread has generated more info than I expected. If I ever need to figure out what to do with a body, I'll post a thread, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
This thread has generated more info than I expected. If I ever need to figure out what to do with a body, I'll post a thread, lol.
We'll do our best!

Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I've been rereading some Twain before I dig into his autobiography and am wondering:

What is the concept behind the people searching for Tom and Huck shooting off cannons in hopes of bringing up their bodies from underwater? How was that supposed to work?
Shock waves are the answer and it probably worked often enough when the body had been in water that was not too cold and was ready to float but mired in mud. (It's fairly common to find them on the bottom in a hands and knees position so they would nt be stuck hard)

I think they mentioned mercury in loaves of bread also and that probably worked in a current. It got saturated and sank at about the same rate a body would. I've recovered a few bodies by just exhaling at the point the people thought they went under and letting myself sink. Even in fairly rapid current a body tends to stay in one place for quite a while because of the laminar flow of the water.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Somewhat off topic, I know, but this is about Mark Twain and books ...
Did you know that Mark Twain opened Kensal Rise library in north London?
Libraries seen as easy touch when it comes to balancing the books

The reference to Mark Twain is in the 5th paragraph.