Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Bought fake iPod Nano on Ebay

I am now the proud owner of a fake iPod Nano.
I knew it was fake -- the seller made it quite clear in the listing that it was a nano-clone and not made by apple.
It cost £25.
And joy of joys -- it don't use iTunes. I HATE iTunes.
It's a 2GB one (genuine - I checked it).
Plays mp3 and wma files.
and the following:
FM radio
Record,
Ebook (text only)
Picture,
Phone Book,
Games,
Movie (MTV AND AMV only)

I shall only use it for mp3 audio books -- so easy to just drag and drop a folder -- none of that iTunes hassle whereby the books play out of order unless you work hard at it.

I haven't got any movies to try but I understand they don't look very nice.

The eBook reader seems to have a line length of 16 characters - any more than that and it splits words up and places the rest on the next line.

But the mp3 player is great.

The worst thing is the manual. It's incomprehensible -- written in quaint English by some Chinese person with a primary school knowledge of English.
Luckily I did a search on Google and found a really good 42 page manual written in English by Garry Whittaker which was a godsend.

It arrived with an American charger (I live in the UK) so I will have to charge it up using the USB cord connected to my PC. It was fully charged when it arrived.

So far, I don't regret my purchase at all. Time will tell, but for 25 quid I felt it was worth the risk.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've never heard of a fake iPod. Have a link?
Advert
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the one I got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...6061&rd=1&rd=1

There are others, shipping from UK, Australia or Hong Kong:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MP3-MP4-FM...QQcmdZViewItem

If you do a search on Google for Fake iPod you will find loads of information.
Some people love them and some don't.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Lol, I totally understand about the friggin audiobook issue with iPods. I had to create special playlists in iTunes to get it to work properly (not too sure what their issue is unless they're trying to read some tag I'm unaware of). I tried to find a nice bulk-retagger to change the tags to what the file names were, but I think I just settle with arranging the playlist. Wouldn't mind having a nano or color screen iPod, but I guess I'll just cont. to use my PDA for short clips.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: Just checked the eBay link, too funny! These even say iPod, though the wheel looks a bit different. How does the wheel work, same as a regular one? What about the screen, does it look nice when displaying images?

Last edited by Azayzel; 02-27-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Moonraker
Addict

The wheel is not the same as the iPod one - it's a clicky one -- although if you hold it down it scrolls through the tracks. Seems a bit slow to me. The thing I do like is it remembers where you left off. So when you switch it on again you are at the right place to continue listening to your audio book.

The picture viewer is pretty good for a small screen. I should think the quality would depend on the original to a certain extent.
Advert
Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Not much of an iTunes fan either, so instead I use the Winamp iPod plug-in. Works great.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
I was in thailand recently and the sheer number of fake ipods etc was overwhelming. Not just apple ipods were faked thou, I found fake sony, samsung, LG as well as other brands that don't actually make mp3 players. Many of them are very similar players with different logo's on them, but the apple fakes are pretty well done.

And the price, generally pretty decent... not quite sure about warranty status thou......
Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I've only listened to one audiobook on my iPod. It played fine with no changes and remembered it's place even if you went and listened to other music and came back. I bought it through the iTunes store so not sure if that made a difference or not but it seemed pretty seamless to me.

It is an interesting fake. The packaging looks great, but the product itself is like they didn't even try much, the screen isn't even the same size or ratio. A good deal on a 2gb player though.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
micro
Connoisseur

The audiobooks on the ipod are tagged as such. This means they have a bookmark feature as well as speed settings etc.

If you import your own audiobook CD's they will not be recognised as itunes audio books, just as a normal CD. However you can convert them to being audiobooks with all the advantages of them.

Click here for instructions

I think there is a simpler way with applescripts but it escapes my monday morning brain for now.

Of course, this is an iTunes thing, and will not apply to fake ipods etc etc etc.

micro
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
... not quite sure about warranty status thou......
They probably come with a fake Apple warranty.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
If you import your own audiobook CD's they will not be recognised as itunes audio books, just as a normal CD. However you can convert them to being audiobooks with all the advantages of them.

A very interesting read -- thank you.

It does entail a lot of work though and conversion to a non mp3 format. Why does Apple have to make things so unneccessarily complicated?

The article just confirmed another reason why I hate iTunes.

I have listened to some Audible audio books and to me they sound too thin as if the sound is coming out of a tin can.

A simple drag and drop player does not need special tags and will play hundreds of files according to filename order.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
The audiobooks on the ipod are tagged as such. This means they have a bookmark feature as well as speed settings etc.

I think there is a simpler way with applescripts but it escapes my monday morning brain for now.

Of course, this is an iTunes thing, and will not apply to fake ipods etc etc etc.

micro
Definitely, thank you for the info! You don't know how many times I had to physically write down the track & position of my place in an audiobook before switching to something else on my iPod. It sucks that the iPod isn't smart enough to read the MP3 tag and see the MP3 should be treated as an audiobook. Stupid iPod, can't you read?! Lol, thanks again; also one quick question... how long does it take to re-encode, say a 9-hour audiobook to the AAC-format?

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

That's like asking how long it takes to drive from NYC to LA - it depends on how fast you go!

It shouldn't be too long, you can convert an hour of MP3s to AAC in... say, 5 minutes depending on your machine, so 9 hours should be around 45 minutes or so, depending on your machine.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you just need to convert MP3s to AAC, you might try Audacity. I haven't tried such a conversion with it, but I know it will do them. It has been extremely usable for what I've used it for: converting tapes to CDs.

It may or may not get you any speedier results, but I thought I'd toss it out for the interested. Its price is certainly right.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
micro
Connoisseur

I think the problem is that audio books under itunes come from audiable, and not from apple. I'm not sure but I think the bookmark is contained within the file itself, hence the need for the .m4b instead of m4a.

If you are a mac user there are some applescripts to do the magic for you.

But, it appears that in at least newer versions of iTunes (I'm using 7.1 on a mac) there is a checkbox to "Remember Playback Position". Get info on the AAC file (must be AAC, not MP3) and then go into "options".

Another useful option is the ability to skip the file while on shuffle. This means you don't get audiobooks mixed up with music, and ensures that you don't accidentally have shuffle active when listening to audiobooks.

Of course I havent tested this under windows, so sorry to those folk. If you try it and it works please post and let everyone know.

micro