Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Amazon Prime membership for $72 on Saturday

Amazon is discounting Amazon Prime memberships this Saturday, 2015/1/24 only, in honor of their winning two awards at the 72nd Golden Globes. Prime will be $72 instead of $99 that day. Looks like it's only for new members, sadly, but if you've been thinking about getting a sub, this is a good time since it's $27 off. The signup link isn't showing info on the deal yet, so don't try to buy it ahead of Saturday!

Additionally you can watch all ten episodes of their award-winning show Transparent on Saturday even without an Amazon Prime membership.

Quote:
Amazon today announced that in celebration of two recent Golden Globe wins, it will make all ten episodes of Amazon Original Series Transparent available for free for everyone this Saturday. Transparent, which is typically available exclusively to Amazon Prime members, recently took home the Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Series, while its star, Jeffrey Tambor, earned the coveted award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy Series. Anyone can watch Transparent at no cost on Saturday using the Amazon Instant Video app for TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/Transparent. Also on Saturday and in celebration of the 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards, Amazon Prime will be available for just $72—a more than 25 percent savings. New members can sign up for this limited-time Prime offer at Amazon.com/TransparentPrime.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Thanks for the heads up! $6 a month is a good deal for their streaming service (+ all the other stuff of course).
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I wonder if they'll define "new" customers as loosely as they do on the Audible side, where it usually means "not actively subscribed."
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I wonder if they'll define "new" customers as loosely as they do on the Audible side, where it usually means "not actively subscribed."
I saw a comment thread over on Kinja Deals where at least one person managed to get a partial refund because their renewal is coming up soon. Others had different luck, but it might be worth trying.

Also, last year people managed to buy Amazon Prime subs at the $79 price before it went up to $99 and gift them to themselves, set to be delivered on the day their current sub ended. You have to turn off auto-renewal to do that, but it may be possible tomorrow too.

I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow, others will try things and report back.

Edit: I'll also post anything I see about renewing at the $72 price.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
It's up and running. Worked for me and my previous subscription expired about 2 months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/pipe...ansparentprime
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
My Prime expires in a couple of weeks on 2/9/2015. I couldn't renew at the $72 promotional price via the website. I sent a gift card to a secondary Amazon account, and then used that to gift a Prime membership to my "real" account. I set it to deliver the day after my Prime membership expires.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
maozzi
maozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you are a student you get it for much less than that. Keep in mind and check it on their website.Also it's 6 months free and after 6 months it's 50%off. You will need .edu email address. That's all you need. Even if you don't have the .edu email and you can prove your studentship, you can still call and get it.
I do have it but to be honest I don't really utilize from it. Most of the movies are outdated, and I don't listen to English music because my native language is different. For 2-day-free shipping, I don't really use it either. Because the same thing is usually cheaper on Ebay after Ebay changing some rules it became better for buyers and it's usually cheaper than Amazon.
Here is the link to the student sign up page for Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Last edited by maozzi; 01-24-2015 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Addink link.
maozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I just sent a gift membership to myself.

I found this post on slickdeals very helpful

Quote:
Existing members can buy a gift membership for $72 to use on their own account

Gift memberships are also $72 and can be purchased by existing members. Enter your own email address when asked for the recipients email. You will receive a Prime membership redemption code emailed to you. Save this code in a safe place and use it when your Prime membership expires to extend your membership. If you redeem the code while you still have Prime, you will receive a $72 Amazon credit added to your account. (source [aftvnews.com])

-----------------------
In order to avoid the auto renewal of Prime (which is the default option) at the end of your year of prime and so you can use the gift membership you bought for $72 you need to do the following:

Go to "Your account” and then select the sixth option down – “Your Prime Membership”. On the left sidebar, you’ll see an option to end your membership. The first time you click, it does not end immediately, it gives you more options. The options were something like, “Continue membership”, “get a reminder 3 days before membership ends” and “end membership”. Again – if you click on “end membership” it does not actually end your membership right away, as you might expect, instead, it gives you the option to either cancel immediately, or have it cancel on the annual renewal date. Chose 2nd option so your Prime will be cancelled at the end of your year of service. The next day after that happens use your gift Prime membership. Hope it helps! mannyaguilar
-----------------------
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Gifted myself with the date my current year expires.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by maozzi View Post
If you are a student you get it for much less than that. Keep in mind and check it on their website.Also it's 6 months free and after 6 months it's 50%off. You will need .edu email address. That's all you need. Even if you don't have the .edu email and you can prove your studentship, you can still call and get it.
I do have it but to be honest I don't really utilize from it. Most of the movies are outdated, and I don't listen to English music because my native language is different. For 2-day-free shipping, I don't really use it either. Because the same thing is usually cheaper on Ebay after Ebay changing some rules it became better for buyers and it's usually cheaper than Amazon.
Here is the link to the student sign up page for Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info
Looks like I already used up my ability for this deal but I could get Prime for $50. Those glorious .edu email addresses!

I'm not sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost, but it's very tempting.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
Looks like I already used up my ability for this deal but I could get Prime for $50. Those glorious .edu email addresses!

I'm not sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost, but it's very tempting.
Does a student Prime account confer all the same streaming video privileges as a regular Prime account? (That wasn't the case in the past.)
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
maozzi
maozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Does a student Prime account confer all the same streaming video privileges as a regular Prime account? (That wasn't the case in the past.)
I'm thinking the answer would be yes. I can watch any movie tagged prime, can listen free music, can use 2 day shipping for free on the items tagged prime. I don't know what other privileges you get through a prime membership though.
maozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
As I recall, you don't get those while you're in the free period, but after you start paying the $49 a year under it, you do. I'm pretty sure you can't share shipping with anyone even with the $49 student account though.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
As I recall, you don't get those while you're in the free period, but after you start paying the $49 a year under it, you do. I'm pretty sure you can't share shipping with anyone even with the $49 student account though.
Yeah, you won't be able to share your benefits. That's the main thing.

I was surprised to see I still had access to my edu e-mail the other day. I am not renewing this year though. The only perk I use is Kindle First, and I usually order add-on items that don't qualify for the free shipping.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Thanks for your input, everyone.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote