Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Text weight variation in Nook Glowlight?

So we bought my daughter a Glowlight last weekend and she's quite happy with it. I was playing around with it last night and noticed there was quite a bit of darkness / weight variation in the text across the page. It looked similar to this effect jswinden saw on the Paperwhite only it's even more pronounced:

Is this typical of Glowlights, or do we have a defective unit that's worth trying to get a replacement for?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
In the past using various e-readers, I have occassionaly run into this problem. I always felt it was more of a book formating issue than a problem with the e-reader. Does this problem show up consistantly or only on a particular book or more likely seen with side-loaded books ?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Hmmm... I'll have to pry it out of my daughter's hand and look into it some more. Almost all of the books are sideloaded, but we recently bought one from B&N so I'll see if that makes any difference. Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see this issue: books rendering better when bought from the device mnfg. store, i.e. B & N, Kobo. If I buy a book from B&N and read it on a Kobo reader (or vice versa) I don't always have the same functionality. I may not be able to change the font style, margins, line spacing etc. In some cases I may be able to change a font style but not the margins etc.

Although this hasn't discouraged me from side-loading books, for the most part its been a minor inconvinence as opposed to a major distraction.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Mine had some variation like that. I think it was mainly associated with the light and/or ghosting.

The Nook only refreshes every so many pages -- the page before the refresh often looked quite rough to me. It was especially pronounced reading in a dark bedroom with the Glowlight on.

I would check to see if you notice it on the page right after a refresh.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
fbrII
F. BluDevil

There is a way around most side-loaded format issues, provided you are useing Calibre, that will allow you to change fonts, change margins, etc.

1) From the Preferences menu in Calibre
2) Select "common options" from the "Conversion" menu
3) Click on the "Filter Style Information" tab at the bottom of the next page.
4) Select "Fonts and Margins" where it says "Select style infomation you want completely removed.

If you change "Miniumum line height" to 0.0% and "Line height" to 0.0 pt - you should be able to change line spacing as well.

If you try this, I would suggest you convert one of two books, load and test them in your device. If you don't get the results you want, you can always go back and change the fields to their previous values or select the "restore to default" button.

Last edited by fbrII; 10-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Mine had some variation like that. I think it was mainly associated with the light and/or ghosting.

The Nook only refreshes every so many pages -- the page before the refresh often looked quite rough to me. It was especially pronounced reading in a dark bedroom with the Glowlight on.

I would check to see if you notice it on the page right after a refresh.
I agree with the possibility of ghosting. I see this very slightly on my non-glow NST as well...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote