Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #61
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthiasR. View Post
Of course, neither of us knows why other users aren't active anymore. So can we please agree on arguing about eminent user experience posted in this forum?
<trolling> I'm not an Apple fan so I would always praise the product I use. </trolling> I just post when I have problems with something or have something to say. Anyway, I had a iRex DR800 and M92 is a step forward.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #62
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Are u saying that we the other more frequent posters might post when we we honestly believe we have nothing to say? : - ))
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #63
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Nope, I'm just saying that some people post rarely because they don't have something to say so often and that, also considering they don't praise the device all time time, does not mean that they are unhappy with it. People who post more often they have more to say or they are more unhappy than others
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #64
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
This is a _very_ questionable statement.

The Nook Touch has a different SOC inside, a TI OMAP3621. That one contains a PowerVR SGX530 gpu. This is an old 3d video accelerator, but it does have OpenGL ES 2.0 capability. While the Freescale iMX508 used on most modern ereaders doesn't have anything like that, no need for 3d acceleration in a ereader. So it won't run anything that makes OpenGL calls (and those doesn't have to be 3d related, 2d is accelerated too). That means that Beryll's list doesn't mean a lot in the context of other devices than Nooks.

Which is probably why ereader manufacturers aren't storming to install Android on their devices, because what would be the point of that? Android market? If this is such a great idea, why doesn't Nook come with it? Why do you have to root it first?

One word: control.

Can you guarantee your device will run every possible app out there? Apparently you can't with the given hardware. Which is why widespread Android in ereaders is a Pipedream, at least during the current generation. Maybe next...
My Sony PRS-T1 sports the same processor as the M92, and it is powered by android.
Not all android software works, but at least my favorite dictionary app, Goldendict, which works in perfect combination with FBreader, has offered me a great reading experience for a long time.
One software can make a big difference. For every user it can be a different piece of software that proves very important. Most people today use desktop computers, portable computers, pads, phones, that offer millions of software to please everyone, because everyone has slightly or entirely different needs from the guy next door. Most companies selling readers (and their marketing people on forums such as mobileread, the number one forum about readers on this planet) want us to believe that we should be happy with closed systems. Of course this point of view is only an expression of a commercial strategy : preventing readers from becoming commodities and maintaining the margins that go with a closed device. This strategy has no future : as technology progresses (fast refresh rate, color), readers will become closer to pads, and customers will not put up with anything less than android/iOS/Windows/Ubuntu.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote