Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Nook 1.5 and page sync

I can't seem to get page numbers to sync between my nook 1.5 and other devices. The nook seems to be "writing" page numbers to the mother ship but not "reading" them.

For example, I read a book on my iPhone and close it on page 100. I go to the PC app and open the book and it's at 100. I advance to 105 and close. I open the book on the nook and it's at page 1. I close the book on the nook and open on the iPhone or PC and I'm back to page 1. Rinse and repeat.

The nook is connecting to the mother ship via 3G. I punch the "check for new content" button before opening a book on the nook, hoping to force a page number sync, but the nook only opens to the last page read on the nook.

Can anyone else confirm or deny similar behavior? Or am I missing a step on the nook, something I should turn on?

Thanks,

Kay
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
do you have auto save turned on?
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
I punch the "check for new content" button before opening a book on the nook, hoping to force a page number sync
You should open the book, then select Go to>Last Page Saved on BN.com.

See pages 127-128 of the 1.5 manual.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
KDawg
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
You should open the book, then select Go to>Last Page Saved on BN.com.

See pages 127-128 of the 1.5 manual.
Whoops, forgot to note that I have "Last Page Saved" on. No joy.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
bdillahu
bdillahu began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6s with Marvin
Non-B&N content

Does this function work with non-B&N (Gutenburg or whatever) content? I'm in the throws of trying to decide between a Nook and a Kindle, and syncing across devices would be a large deciding factor for me, but only if it works on personal content as well as that purchased through the respective stores (as on the Kindle).

Thanks!
Bruce
bdillahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdillahu View Post
Does this function work with non-B&N (Gutenburg or whatever) content? I'm in the throws of trying to decide between a Nook and a Kindle, and syncing across devices would be a large deciding factor for me, but only if it works on personal content as well as that purchased through the respective stores (as on the Kindle).

Thanks!
Bruce
Syncing only works with B&N content.

Like I thought the same is true for the Kindle, syncing only works with Kindle store books (googled a bit to confirm this).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
bdillahu
bdillahu began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6s with Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Syncing only works with B&N content.

Like I thought the same is true for the Kindle, syncing only works with Kindle store books (googled a bit to confirm this).
That's how I understand the Kindle to work... I was just hoping B&N decided to support a more open platform.

Darn. Well, the Kindle is cheaper.

Now to decide on a backlit screen vs. non-back.

Thanks!

Bruce
bdillahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
KDawg
Junior Senior

RTFM: while the other apps automatically open to the sync'd page the nook requires Go To > Last Page Saved on BN.com.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
RTFM: while the other apps automatically open to the sync'd page the nook requires Go To > Last Page Saved on BN.com.
As someone who has, in fact, read the f*cking manual, I can inform you that it won't help those who can't get their nooks to sync correctly with apps on other platforms. Currently my nook has no problem grabbing the last page read from the server, but my iPhone is not getting that information automatically. Without any button to manually tell it to find the right page, I find myself paging forward or guessing about where I left off on the nook. Yes, I have my nook's internet turned on (both wifi and cellular) and clearly it's capable of syncing with bn because I can grab the last iPhone page read on the nook, just not the other way 'round.

Has anyone else found a solution to the problem of a non-syncing iPhone app?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I do this and the sync works.

I make sure my nook is asleep and has wifi on in a wifi location.

I make sure my iPhone app refreshes the ebooks while still in that wifi location. Experiment with this first. I have found the download to be sometimes a problem when pulling from 3G on my iPhone.

Other than that I don't know what to do besides make sure your iPhone app is up to date.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote