Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of Kindle ebook pricing?
They are fairly cheap. 6 6.19%
They are priced just right. 14 14.43%
They are too expensive. 77 79.38%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle ebook pricing poll

What do you think of current Kindle ebook pricing? Personally, I am buying more used pbooks lately...ever since the Kindle prices were raised.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I've had mine for a month now (or close to it) and haven't bought a single book from Amazon.

Bought two from Fictionwise and one from Baen for a grand total of $11.

Mostly though I've been reading old books. Right now I've gotten hooked on the Ruth Fielding books from Feedbooks. I read one because it was written in 1922 and wanted to get a feel of how people talked back then (I'm writing a novel set then). But they're like peanuts...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I bought a kindle book a couple weeks ago. It was only about 2 dollars less than the (Amazon) pbook version (still $20+) but it was 1/2 the cost of the local bookstore price. I needed it for school so the instant download helps! But still a bit steep.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
It depends...

I go a lot for the free books offered, but I've also paid good money for an ebook... I don't care what the hardback book sells for... I want the book in ebook format, and if I can't live without it, I'll buy it in that format.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Rate the pages per dollar price

I use an Excel spreadsheet to rank all the ebooks on my wish list by pbook pages per dollar price.

Then I buy the ebook with the best value of volume of reading material.

Thus, publishers keeping prices lower than others tend to get my business.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Mitsuya Cider
Mitsuya Cider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, IPad Mini
Depends on the book. For the most-part, they are too expensive, and should cost less than a paperback, that much is very clear to me.
Mitsuya Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
So far so good in the UK - Agency Pricing not here yet so most e-books are cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
They are generally cheaper than pbooks, but not enough. Also, nowhere near as cheap as used pbooks. The bestseller list is a good deal, especially for hardcover, but not many of my reads come from that.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It is kind of a hard question for me to answer
While there are many books that I feel are priced too high, I also find many that I feel are fairly priced and/or great bargains.

For instance - 2 of the free books this week by Alan Jacobson look really good and I see on the Books on The Knob blog this morning that the one Lisa Kleypas book that I don't own will probably be $2.99 soon since Sony has dropped their price.

So ... I have 3 books to read this weekend and I will have spent $3.

I will say one thing, it is extremely unlikely that any author will win me over as a new reader with a $12.99 or higher offering. I will occasionally buy an author I'm already attached to at those prices, but if I'm making a choice between unknowns that look interesting (and there are 100s of them out there) - the $5 or under book will win every time.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
If they are over $10, I often wait a few months. I still think they are too expensive, but I want them, they are easier to read, they don't clutter up the house, so it is worth it to me. I guess I afford the more expensive ones by reading lots of free classics as well, so the average "per book" price is not so bad.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 09-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
The problem is that paperback books still provide a superior reading experience compared to the Kindle. Publishers don't seem to realize this. The only advantages of the Kindle are portability and dictionary support. But these advantages do not outweigh the number of tradeoffs Kindle users must face. One of the reasons I returned my Kindle DX was because I found myself ordering paperbacks for the same or cheaper price than the Kindle version. In fact, there were a couple occasions where the hardcover was the same price!
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The problem is that paperback books still provide a superior reading experience compared to the Kindle.
You forgot the "in my opinion" part. I for one, can (and do) switch between Kindle, paperback or hardback with absolutely no discernible loss or gain in the "reading" experience.

Quote:
Publishers don't seem to realize this.
Maybe because it's not a universally accepted truth.

Am I the only one that didn't buy a Kindle simply because I thought it would allow me to read really cheaply?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
[QUOTE=
Am I the only one that didn't buy a Kindle simply because I thought it would allow me to read really cheaply?[/QUOTE]

No, I purchased my kindle because I thought it would be a superior reading experience and for me, it is.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Soprano91396
Soprano91396 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Am I the only one that didn't buy a Kindle simply because I thought it would allow me to read really cheaply?
No -- I bought mine because whenever I travel, easily 50-75% of the weight of my luggage is books!
Soprano91396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
i try to purchase books from amazon when they are <$7 (what i feel is a reasonable price for an ebook) and i pirate any books that are more than that. hopefully if amazon sees that books below a certain price are selling better, they will adjust their prices.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote