Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #46
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I looked at it in low light. No banding or unevenness. Here are 2 quick pix. I tried to get out of the way of the ambient light to avoid shadows.
These were taken with full light on. There seems to be light coming more from the top than the flashlight effect from the bottom which plagued v.1. Not a problem, though.
OMG, the pictures looks awesome!! No color blobs! None!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #47
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Ok, home from work Here are a couple pictures of the new Paperwhite in a totally dark room, with the light turned to maximum eye-searing level.

To my eyes, it looks perfect. Just what we had all hoped version one would be. Also, I got a chance to check out the feature that lets you jump around in the book without losing your place. It works wonderfully.

To those who think that this is a merely incremental upgrade, I would suggest that the pictures speak for themselves. And, the speed difference is really apparent. This is a home run, and I was "meh" with the first one, after getting a decent, but not excellent, specimen after a return.

Not sure if the new software features will carry over to old paperwhites, but I say that this is well worth an upgrade to anyone who cares about a great user experience. This is a fantastic upgrade, and I'm sure you guys will agree.
Everything was good until I saw Rick Santorum's name and had a bad flashback of the primaries of 2012!! I need water!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Ok, home from work Here are a couple pictures of the new Paperwhite in a totally dark room, with the light turned to maximum eye-searing level.

To my eyes, it looks perfect. Just what we had all hoped version one would be. Also, I got a chance to check out the feature that lets you jump around in the book without losing your place. It works wonderfully.

To those who think that this is a merely incremental upgrade, I would suggest that the pictures speak for themselves. And, the speed difference is really apparent. This is a home run, and I was "meh" with the first one, after getting a decent, but not excellent, specimen after a return.

Not sure if the new software features will carry over to old paperwhites, but I say that this is well worth an upgrade to anyone who cares about a great user experience. This is a fantastic upgrade, and I'm sure you guys will agree.
Try some photos with the light set to your normal reading intensity level when in a dark room. Any Kindle with bright light looks good, but we need to see a realistic reading light level, not one that could light up the whole room.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-30-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #49
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I went and read the reviews on Amazon, but I am really mainly interested in what those who saw color blobs on last years model have to say about the new PW. Last year so many reviewers on Amazon did not see them and acted like those of us who did were crazy and just seeing things. Therefore, I take a lot of the reviews with a grain of salt.
Same here. A lot of professional reviewers were showing colcor blotches on their screens but talking about how awesome the screen was.
I am very hopeful for this year's PW!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My PW 2012 seemed great to me. When I posted a picture here, many said they saw blotches which I never saw at all.

PW 2013 is supposed to have crisper fonts. That will be a great improvement if true. The picture shown here doesn't seem to show that.
JFYI. the KPW2 is great.. the KPW1 no matter what issue you have is not as good.. what are you smoking?
Your new to the forum, so let me say hello. But please don't take personal shots at forum members. That is frowned on here. I think we get that you are a fan of the PW2, albeit perhaps not an objective one.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #51
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I like the warmer colour temperature of the lighting on the PW2, but that's not enough of an upgrade for me to switch. The one I have works just fine. It's a shame that the PW1 didn't ship with the warm white LEDs, but maybe they just weren't available at an acceptable cost at the time.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #52
xendula
eBookworm

Rob and Wildgift, thank you for the pics. I feel all giddy now!
Any chance you could post pics taken in a dark room at a low light setting? That's when my color blobs are the very worst.

Though, judging by your pictures, the screens are really like Wildgift says: as we all thought they would be on the PW1 last year.
Tomorrow's a BIG day!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #53
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Have you noticed any increase in the accuracy of the touch screen?

Seeing these reviews and pics are weakening my resisitance.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #54
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Try some photos with the light set to your normal reading intensity level when in a dark room. Any Kindle with bright light looks good, but we need to see a realistic reading light level, not one that could light up the whole room.
Jack, here you go. This is at setting 11, out of a possible 24. To my eyes, it's fantastic.

"
I'll resist the urge to insert my liberal democratic views, other than to say that this book, "Collision 2012" by Dan Balz of the Washington Post, is a great read, and I'm really gratified that the new paperwhite is as good as it is.

The new footnote feature is likely going to mean a re-read of Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It has hundreds of footnotes, essential and hilarious, and it will be a lot easier to read than navigating and often getting lost in the old kindle!

Last edited by Wildgift; 09-30-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #55
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Same here. A lot of professional reviewers were showing colcor blotches on their screens but talking about how awesome the screen was.
I am very hopeful for this year's PW!
Meeee tooo! I'm so excited for tomorrow!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #56
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Wow.. the KPW2 is superior to the KPW1.. some people try to rationalize why the one they own is the best.. Jeff Bezos does not make the same mistake twice.. LOL.. if you own the KPW1 then I can understand your concerns.. but I would say the KPW2 is the Cats Pajamas.. they (Amazon) figured it out..
Quote:
Jeff Bezos at Amazon knows what is happening.. I have a friend that works at the headquarters in Seattle.. he said.."the Kindle Paperwhite 1 was a PAIN IN THE ASS" so now they have it right..
Quote:
JFYI. the KPW2 is great.. the KPW1 no matter what issue you have is not as good.. what are you smoking?
Wow. I'm deeply impressed by every single of your many arguments. I think I will immediately shred my Paperwhite and buy a PW2. Thank you for the recommendation!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Jack, here you go. This is at setting 11, out of a possible 24. To my eyes, it's fantastic.
Thanks! It looks pretty good.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My PW1 is very good and I've been debating over the financial sense to upgrade, especially as I have two more years of a three year warranty for it, but I am tempted.

I read two types of books, one I like to keep on an ereader permanently as its not stored in the cloud, and for that, as I only read that genre at home, I use a KK for (my PW is my main reader), do you think it's indulgent to replace th KK with my old PW and buy the new one as my main reader? That's what my heart wants to do but my head is having a few issues with the extravagance.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #59
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Your new to the forum, so let me say hello. But please don't take personal shots at forum members. That is frowned on here. I think we get that you are a fan of the PW2, albeit perhaps not an objective one.
Ok.. sorry. just stating the facts.. sorry again.. I will be nice.. and crawl in my hole and shut up..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #60
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My PW1 is very good and I've been debating over the financial sense to upgrade, especially as I have two more years of a three year warranty for it, but I am tempted.

I read two types of books, one I like to keep on an ereader permanently as its not stored in the cloud, and for that, as I only read that genre at home, I use a KK for (my PW is my main reader), do you think it's indulgent to replace th KK with my old PW and buy the new one as my main reader? That's what my heart wants to do but my head is having a few issues with the extravagance.
Just think if you upgrade to a much better KPW2.. it will only cost you 32.6 cents per day based on 1 yr of amortization.. pretty cheap I think.. you can make that much money per day picking up pop bottles..(oh, or tin cans) I would say blow the dust out of your wallet and buy it.. enjoy..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 09-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote