Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #61
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Calibre's pretty snappy on my laptop, with 22934 titles in it. To be sure, my machine is a fairly beefy one with an i7 CPU and 8GB of RAM behind it, but I do believe that there's a definite speed increase since the v1.0.x releases became available.

Personally re: this new library manager--I'm willing to try a new thing, but I'll happily wait till there's a beta or actual release version to try. Meanwhile I'm sticking with Calibre, since I'm fairly well invested in its ecosystem by now. Definitely need to clean up my library though: it's rather haphazard in the extreme in spite of the valiant effort of Calibre's database to make sure things are right, books and metadata-wise. Tags in particular have gone from messy to mutated alien jungle full of carnivorous plants. Might just nuke it and start over properly before I get to 100k books and lose the will to clean things up permanently.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #62
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I started that project a few weeks ago. I dumped all Public Domain works into a "Dump" folder, and started off with *properly* importing and tagging my bought e-books. After that, I started with the PD authors I had read something from already, knew about, or heard about.

It's going fine; I just do 10 books a day or so, just like I ripped 10 CD's a day until I was done rebuilding my music library.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #63
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I started that project a few weeks ago. I dumped all Public Domain works into a "Dump" folder, and started off with *properly* importing and tagging my bought e-books. After that, I started with the PD authors I had read something from already, knew about, or heard about.

It's going fine; I just do 10 books a day or so, just like I ripped 10 CD's a day until I was done rebuilding my music library.
Oh I'm not worried about the published ebooks in my library; those are fairly okay tags wise. It's the saved fanfics I have in Calibre that are nightmare inducing, and they make up most of my electronic reading material since most of my serious reading stuff are still in pbooks.

Really, the Archive of Our Own is awesome for downloading fics for offline reading when paired with calibre and the FFDL plugin: but their tagging system, or lack of one makes me want to shoot something when I see the jumble of tags in calibre courtesy of the downloaded metadata. I like the canonical tags on AO3 sourced fics, and there are freeform tags that are particularly useful. However downloading that data also entails downloading useless drivel in the tags too and it drives me crazy as well as slows tag browsing. How many times must I delete tags that go along the lines of "I was drunk gaiz!" and "OHMAHGERD I HAVE SO MANY FEEEELS"from my library?
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefiriot View Post
However downloading that data also entails downloading useless drivel in the tags too and it drives me crazy as well as slows tag browsing.
Exactly why I only use my own tags. Quite frankly I think published ebooks are fairly often very strangely tagged too.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #65
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
File names I understand, although since I have full control of how the files are named once they're exported I have trouble seeing how it can matter particularly much. But then that's just from my own perspective.
Probably this is not the best place to ask this. But if I have say a custom field (or fields) set up as folder names, can I use that (those) to have calibre create a folder structure for me while exporting books?

Quote:
Thanks, I can see how that might be a feature one would want. I share that desire very strongly in regards to readers, where I absolutely need a prospective new reader to support folders.
I use nook simple touch and it supports folders. So currently I just copy the book folder as such to nook/sd-card. If I can have calibre support the folder structure while exporting, I will probably use calibre.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #66
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Probably this is not the best place to ask this. But if I have say a custom field (or fields) set up as folder names, can I use that (those) to have calibre create a folder structure for me while exporting books?
Yes. Use {#custom-name} in your template.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #67
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Katsunami is undoubtedly the better person to ask where these things are concerned.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #68
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks for posting this. I have actually been thinking Kovid should either do an IPO or start selling it. I have donated a couple times, because the use I get our of Calibre is at least as good as Quicken. And I get updates every week!

Getting all my books into Calibre and in the cloud took a lot of evenings, fixing up metadata, downloading cover, etc. For that reason, any competing program would have to promise to read the book to me, for me to switch (not really, I don't like being read to). Now that the virtual libraries are available, I don't see a reason to even look elsewhere. I promise to love and cherish, until my ereader gives out!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #69
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Katsunami is undoubtedly the better person to ask where these things are concerned.
There are people that are way beyond me when it comes to using Calibre; like the plugin writers for example I can do medium to slightly advanced stuff, but there's a lot I don't know (yet) because I've not needed it (yet).
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #70
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious

I'm sure there are, but compared to me you're bound to be the Einstein of Regexes and most other things Calibre-related.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the compliment, but I still think you're overestimating my Calibre capabilities

(Googling... I'm googling my li-hife awaaay... -The Everly Brothers)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #72
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post

I use nook simple touch and it supports folders. So currently I just copy the book folder as such to nook/sd-card. If I can have calibre support the folder structure while exporting, I will probably use calibre.
What kind of folder structure are you talking about I have been using calibre and coolreader software for many years now. So use coolreader on a rooted nook touch as well.
I export books from calibre to nook touch as
Genre\SubGenre\A\Author\Series\SubSeries\01.00 Title with Subgenre, Series, Subseries and Series numbers generated only when they are in the metadata. This system is not ideal for series with multiple authors but as I have only one such series havent had any problems. Truth is chaley who helped me with my export regex could probably do that as well but I never asked.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #73
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
What kind of folder structure are you talking about I have been using calibre and coolreader software for many years now. So use coolreader on a rooted nook touch as well.
I export books from calibre to nook touch as
Genre\SubGenre\A\Author\Series\SubSeries\01.00 Title with Subgenre, Series, Subseries and Series numbers generated only when they are in the metadata. This system is not ideal for series with multiple authors but as I have only one such series havent had any problems. Truth is chaley who helped me with my export regex could probably do that as well but I never asked.
I guess we have similar tastes and similar setup (rooted nook and coolreader etc.). My folder structure is more or less same; genre/subgenre/author/book. Sometimes there are more than a single level in subgenre/subcategory (2,3 or even 4 levels of folders). I use author only when really necessary, mostly for fiction.

How do you set the genre subgenre etc.? Is it possible to edit/update them manually? I have a BIG collection of books that I want to import into calibre. Is it possible to import my folders into custom fields/columns or as genre/subgenre etc.?

Also, I thought calibre automatically synced your books when nook was connected to PC. Or is it that we have to manually export books to NOOK?
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #74
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
As for me and my books, I will always use Calibre. I remember downloading it with version 0.4.something or 0.3.something All I know is that I could never manage all the books I have. To be able to change the cover to something I like or just have a plain cover with title and author name. I love Calibre and will never use any other program.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #75
poglad
poglad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
"If you want to replace Calibre, then replace it, not use it to drive your own product. At this point in time, this software only seems to be a new front-end / user-interface for Calibre."

So you're saying that making an alternative front-end to Calibre's GUI should be dismissed as a valid project? He should either rewrite the back-end too, or give up?

Personally I think the back-end is where the real power lies, and when it comes to designing new approaches that get that power into the hands of more users, I'm all for it. Calibre's front-end is gross (IMO) and something less 1995-looking would be a pleasure to use.
poglad is offline   Reply With Quote