Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
willythepotatoe
willythepotatoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Accidentally deleted folder

Hello guys
I accidentally got ads on my kindle once and tried to get rid of them by deleting the ".assets" folder (K:/system/.assets).I contacted with customer service later and got my special offers removed.But the problem is,I forgot to take a backup .So It causes hell of a bug when I try to restart or search something.(If I restart,It doesn't get restarted but I get a white screen like a blink then it brings me back to main menu,and screen freezes,i can't open a book if i don't reset the kindle.
I contacted with customer services again ut they don't seem likely to send me the files and I don' wanna do the delivery and waiting.So I need help about this.If you have a kindle touch,you must just open your systems folder (you must make your computer show hidden files first,if you don't know how:http://maketecheasier.com/display-hi...09/09/05),copy the .assets folder,convert it to .rar or .zip or .iso,any archive i mean and then send it via e-mail.
Please contact me by PM or send the archive to mutkusahin@hotmail.com if you wanna help.

Note:Yes I tried factory reset,6 times but it didn't bring my removed,erased,lost-in-depths-of-hdd files.
willythepotatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
There is nothing important in the system/.assets folder, so this is definitely *not* your problem.

You may be better off by resetting the internal partition (/dev/mmcblk0p3). This will perform a reset "beyond" the normal factory reset. Note that it will remove your settings, but not your documents. Use the attached file (at your own risk!)

If you are still having problems after that, then it is very likely that one of your books is causing problems with the indexer.

PS: forgot to say: your device must be jailbroken in order to install this, otherwise you will just get error 007.
Attached Files
File Type: zip update_k5_reset_internal.zip (1.3 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 09-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
willythepotatoe

It doesn't solve my problem.I guess official kindle screensavers,including the blank restart saver, was in that folder and i won't have a problem loading it again because i got my offers
disabled.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... I can absolutely assure you that this folder (even the entire system/ folder) is meaningless (=not required), especially after you have reset your device. A factory-fresh device comes without anything except for the tts folder on the "externally" accessible disk.

The official screen savers are on the main partition, to which you don't have access, so you can't have deleted them.

Well, the only thing I can suggest now is: try the "simply debricking" method from the sticky thread in the dev corner. This works 100%, but requires some work. Or ask Amazon for a replacement.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
willythepotatoe

Well,I am so far from US for a replacement.And this stuff began after i deleted the assets.Then i reset the device for once and bang!
Or the full history is like that:
-I got my kindle,registered it and there wasn't any ads.
-while solving an index problem,an employee put these files without my permission.
-I deleted them.
-Then contacted again and reminded relation between "terms and conditions"-"putting content without permission"
-Got my special offers disabled.
-Screensavers started to not to appear.And there was a restart bug that forced me to reset the kindle for 7 times today.
-contacted again.after 40 minutes of chat,employee finally accepted to help me by providing the files tomorrow(I dont believe it will help actually)
-I'm so frustrated that can eat my kindle.
-My dog just shat and pissed on my kindle.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

1. Delete everything on the Kindle drive, except for the tts folder
2. Restart, and perform a factory reset, just in case.
3. Follow the "noobs guide for K5" from this thread. Trust me, it works. It has worked for hundreds of people.