Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Anyway to bypass regional restrictions?

I live in the UK so obviously I have a UK credit/debit card and this prevents me from purchasing several titles that I would like. I would like to know is there any way to bypass regional restrictions on any of these sites?

Barnes & Nobles
Amazon
Sony
Kobo

Ender's Game really appeals to me, if I purchase a gift card on amazon and then redeemed it on another account could I purchase it? I understand that you can't purchase Kindle titles without either a Kindle or Kindle for PC/Mac registered to your account. Would transferring my Kindle to the other account and back work?

Last edited by seagull; 05-05-2010 at 12:03 PM.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can use Sony, I use it and I am from the Netherlands. However, according to Sony I live at the Yankee Stadium....

Set the Sony Reader Library location to US and when you have to enter your address, pick one in the US. Worked for me...

Kobo I have used only once, I managed to enter the site via the VPN connection of my work. Apparently the internet connection of my work has an US ip-address.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I mananged to purchase the latest Lost Fleet book (released on the 27th April) from Mobipocket. I simply checked which countries were able to purchase the ebook (USA, Australia and UK were on the excluded list) and changed my country of origin accordingly. Puchase went through with no issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
If your money isn't good enough for them, steal it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Is that "walk in and take the paperback off the store shelf, then walk out with it under your shirt" stealing or DL'ing a darknet copy of the ebook?

Legally they are worlds apart.

Geo restrictions rank number one on my hate list currently. DRM issues and even pricing do not come close.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I haven't had any problems buying books from Kobo - though I have noticed that when I download my purchases, they show up in the Sony Reader Library software rather than in ADE, so perhaps it is relying on the location settings for my Reader (set to US). (They do show me prices in US $)

I've bought books from the Sony store using gift cards only. First time they asked for a credit card - and had some problems regarding the billing address for the card (which is not in the US, though it's a US credit card). Next time, they didn't bother with the credit card and just asked me for a "home" address - I gave the address of the friend who buys me the gift cards.

I have yet to try buying from the UK stores (Waterstones or WH Smiths) - though as they don't seem to be locked down to Sony, I suspect they'll sell to anyone.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have not been able to buy from Sony yet - although everything is set to US on my computer. Far less trouble with booksonboard US & UK shop, Waterstones and WH Smiths.

Not really that troubled that I can't buy from Sony - so far all books I wanted turned up at the bookstores that will sell to me. Might be at a later date - but they are often cheaper then too.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I WILL not lie.. If I'm going to be dishonest, I might as well go to the darknet...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Is that "walk in and take the paperback off the store shelf, then walk out with it under your shirt" stealing or DL'ing a darknet copy of the ebook?

Legally they are worlds apart.

Geo restrictions rank number one on my hate list currently. DRM issues and even pricing do not come close.

Nice of all these media companies to not sell to us and save us money, encouraging people to get stuff for free instead.

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I understand that you can't purchase Kindle titles without either a Kindle or Kindle for PC/Mac registered to your account. Would transferring my Kindle to the other account and back work?
I live in Australia, and can buy books quite legally from Amazon via Kindle for PC. Of course I have to remove the DRM to read them on my own ereader, but that's another question.

The main problem I have is when they sell me a Topaz book. It's not hard to remove the DRM, but the end result is an HTML file so I would have to put it through Calibre, or hand build it into an ePub.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Q: Anyway to bypass regional restrictions?
A: Darknet
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Maybe buying ebooks for each other could be a service offered in the flea market section of this site? I have a virtual friend in America that will buy anything I want, but it is often easier to just check the download sites instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I propose a new law of internet use - which may actually only apply to Mobileread. The law states that whatever the original topic of discussion it will eventually resolve into a ding-dong about the ethico-legal similarities and differences between bypassing geographical restrictions - DRM stripping - getting stuff from the darknet.

My proposal is that this law be known as Chaffin's Law
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I live in the UK so obviously I have a UK credit/debit card and this prevents me from purchasing several titles that I would like. I would like to know is there any way to bypass regional restrictions on any of these sites?

Barnes & Nobles
Amazon
Sony
Kobo

Ender's Game really appeals to me, if I purchase a gift card on amazon and then redeemed it on another account could I purchase it? I understand that you can't purchase Kindle titles without either a Kindle or Kindle for PC/Mac registered to your account. Would transferring my Kindle to the other account and back work?
I think that those of us who live in a geo-restricted area may have to cultivate a friend (or three) who live in the US, and can make the said purchase on our behalf. After all the book is a file that can be e-mailed.

Financial arrangements, of course, by mutual agreement ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can use Sony, I use it and I am from the Netherlands. However, according to Sony I live at the Yankee Stadium....

Set the Sony Reader Library location to US and when you have to enter your address, pick one in the US. Worked for me...

Kobo I have used only once, I managed to enter the site via the VPN connection of my work. Apparently the internet connection of my work has an US ip-address.
Can you use your Dutch creditcard? Or how does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
DRM issues and pricing do not prohibit you from buying it. They are mere annoyances. GR is prohibiting the legally buying of books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Nice of all these media companies to not sell to us and save us money, encouraging people to get stuff for free instead.

When do you think they'll finally wise up? That they were the ones that encouraged people to look beyond the webshops?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote