Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
PW for my bad eyes?

I have older Kindles (K3 and K4) that I read everyday, but I'm thinking of buying the newest version of the Paperwhite.

While my Kindles work very well I'm finding it harder to read unless the lighting is very bright. That's not surprising because I've developed some vision problems over the past three years.

My question is will the Paperwhite be easier to read with less strain on my eyes? I'm thinking it will be but I thought I'd check with this forum before I take the plunge.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Paperwhite 2013 is the best for bad eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
I have older Kindles (K3 and K4) that I read everyday, but I'm thinking of buying the newest version of the Paperwhite.

While my Kindles work very well I'm finding it harder to read unless the lighting is very bright. That's not surprising because I've developed some vision problems over the past three years.

My question is will the Paperwhite be easier to read with less strain on my eyes? I'm thinking it will be but I thought I'd check with this forum before I take the plunge.
I use the Paperwhite 2013 for reading eBooks and have both cataracts and macro degeneration with 100 year old eyes. I can't read paper books at all but with the PW 2013 its clear as day. Surgically removing cataracts could cause severe worsening for macro degeneration so I'm going this way to the very end.

I don't use any glasses anywhere.

I can also read good on a 24" Monitor and with my HDX 2013. Reading on TV's is mostly blurry for me. I can also read good on my Samsung Galaxy s5 (5.1 inch screen).

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-14-2014 at 06:39 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
with 100 year old eyes
Really?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm old and have had the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Basic, and now the Kindle Paperwhite I. For me, the Kindle Paperwhite is the same as reading the Keyboard or the Basic in excellent light.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The light is helpful for making the text visible... but I find the Paperwhite screen renders text a little hazy and washed out. I prefer the screen on the new Kindle (7th gen.) and the Kindle (5-button) that it replaces to that of the Paperwhite. Just my preference.

Now, Amazon has a generous return policy. You could just order one, try it out for a book or two and then decide whether you want to keep it or send it back.

I haven't seen (beheld!?) the Voyage screen yet.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm old and have had the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Basic, and now the Kindle Paperwhite I. For me, the Kindle Paperwhite is the same as reading the Keyboard or the Basic in excellent light.
That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
AndyfromVA
Zealot

I went to Best Buy to check out the new Kindles. I spent about 15 minutes with the new Kindle and Kindle PW and was super-impressed with both. They look almost identical, except for the PW's lighted screen, and are equally quick at page turning and other functions. Both feel great - very lightweight and easy as can be to operate. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the touchscreen - much better than my K3 and K4. If it wasn't for my need for a lighted screen I'd buy the regular Kindle in a heartbeat.

It sure would be great if I could find the PW on sale.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
It sure would be great if I could find the PW on sale.
If you don't mind getting a gently used Paperwhite, Best Buy marks down their open box items -- they're usually products that other folks have used briefly and then returned. I got my 16GB Kindle HDX 8.9 for $319 last year by buying open box; it was in perfect condition and saved me $40. Their usual return policy applies.

Here's a link to the Best Buy Outlet -- you can search availability by zip code to see if the product you're seeking is available as an open box "sale" at a store near you.

Last edited by geekaren; 10-21-2014 at 07:02 PM.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
AndyfromVA
Zealot

Thanks, geekaren!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
AndyfromVA
Zealot

Now that I've decided to buy the 4gb Paperwhite I'm feeling less and less satisfied with trying to read my Kindle's grey screen in less than perfect light. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a good deal on black-Friday or cyber-Monday and that's the only reason I'm waiting.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
AndyfromVA
Zealot

I see the 2gb Paperwhite is on sale at Staples for under $100. While it's an attractive price it's not the latest model. Would I lose anything if I purchase the 2gb model rather than the current 4gb model?

Edit - I decided to bite. It's possible that the description on the website is in error and the PW actually has 4gb. Someone else posting to Mobileread has mentioned this. But even if there's only 2gb I doubt if that will be problem for me.

Last edited by AndyfromVA; 10-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Quote:
I see the 2gb Paperwhite is on sale at Staples for under $100. While it's an attractive price it's not the latest model. Would I lose anything if I purchase the 2gb model rather than the current 4gb model?
Ebook files are so small that you can download hundreds of ebooks onto a 2GB kindle. Unless you have a huge kindle library and need to have them all downloaded locally, 2GB is plenty.

Sounds like a good deal to me... can't wait to hear what you think of your new paperwhite!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Knightreader33
Knightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-booksKnightreader33 has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle
I tried using my mightybright 4 led music light with my paperwhite, which i previously used with my non-lighted kindle. It makes the screen look absolutely amazing! The background is very white with the additional light, and that makes the text look darker and clearer.

I got the pw so i wouldn't have to have a light attached to the kindle, but the result is so good i think i will keep using it.
Knightreader33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
AndyfromVA
Zealot

My Paperwhite came today. The Staples' product description was wrong - the device is the most recent one with 4gb of storage.

So far I like it very much. I don't see the uneven lighting or the creamy color that others have mentioned. The font is noticeably lighter than that in my Kindle 3 and 4 but the increased sharpness and built-in lighting more than make up for it.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
geekaren
geek

Quote:
My Paperwhite came today. The Staples' product description was wrong - the device is the most recent one with 4gb of storage.

So far I like it very much. I don't see the uneven lighting or the creamy color that others have mentioned. The font is noticeably lighter than that in my Kindle 3 and 4 but the increased sharpness and built-in lighting more than make up for it.
Enjoy