Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Annotations is one reason why I was hesitant to switch to calibre. However, I decided the other benefits out-weighed it. Here is what I plan to do. I am going to manage my library with calibre. The Sony software has a feature that allows you to transfer books from the T1 to Reader for Mac/PC. You select the book and then click on the button called "Copy to My Library". I just tried it, and my notes were copied along with the book. So at least I can still export notes through the Sony software as needed.

You may not be aware that the Sony software has a limitation on the number of characters per highlight that can be exported to the RTF file. It is best to highlight in small consecutive segments. The maximum is 100 characters per each highlight in a DRM'ed book. It is ~200 characters for a non-DRM'ed book. The limit on the non-DRM'ed book is really small. In the old Sony software it was 2000 characters!
Hmmm, I´m using both Calibre and the Sony software, but something really funny happened. My ADE is not working anymore, and now it´s managing my DRM protected books. STILL I was able to put covers in DRM protected books in this last version of Calibre... Odd
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
TryxeyHobbitses
TryxeyHobbitses began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505 , Sony prs-305, Sony prs-T1
Loved this!!! Worked Amazingly, Thanks!!! But if the book you are looking for is on your SD card instead of reader - sony_reader - database - books.db you are going to have to select the drive for the SD card first then the sony_reader - database - books.db. Again YAY!!!
TryxeyHobbitses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksBooks View Post
SQLLiteSpy works great:
connect the ereader
open SQLLiteSpy
file - open
choose reader - sony_reader - database - books.db
doubleclick on the annotations table
select the records you want.
And copy/paste them to excel...

(Far more reliable than the sony software: I never got anything out of that.)

Just downloaded SQLiteSpy, and it worked great.
Instead of copying the record to my Spreadsheet, if I click on the cell in SQLiteSpy with the text of my note, it brings up a "edit" window, I copy from it into my WP and I have all I need.

Thanks again.

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Just downloaded SQLiteSpy, and it worked great.
Instead of copying the record to my Spreadsheet, if I click on the cell in SQLiteSpy with the text of my note, it brings up a "edit" window, I copy from it into my WP and I have all I need.
Thanks again.
I am curious. Are the notes truncated or the complete text?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am curious. Are the notes truncated or the complete text?

As far as I can tell they are the complete text, however, my notes are short phrases so I do not know if there is a limit to the characters.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
martz
martz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wow. I joined the community just to say a thousand thanks to BooksBooks. Thank you, you just made my day!
martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksBooks View Post
SQLLiteSpy works great:
connect the ereader
open SQLLiteSpy
file - open
choose reader - sony_reader - database - books.db
doubleclick on the annotations table
select the records you want.
And copy/paste them to excel...

(Far more reliable than the sony software: I never got anything out of that.)

MODS: This works. Maybe this message should be put in a sticky or in the Wiki for T1. (Please don't suggest I do it, I'm not fluent enough)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
martz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
As far as I can tell they are the complete text, however, my notes are short phrases so I do not know if there is a limit to the characters.
There yet appears to be a 200-character limit. Any workarounds?

Last edited by martz; 01-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martz View Post

This needs to be addressed to BooksBooks as I am just a novice user.

AJ
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #25
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Quote:
Can't you just skip one word/characters and highlight that way?
That way you could highlight 200 characters, skip one and then go again?
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
BooksBooks
BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.BooksBooks for a long time would go to bed early.

I noticed the 200 char limit as well!!

A bit disappointing!!! (understatement)
I considered changing the datatype of the databasefield but up till now i did not dare to...

And: the limit might even be programmed in the app that writes the annotations to the database. If that is the case, a datatype change to the database would not help us.
BooksBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
martz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
Can't you just skip one word/characters and highlight that way?
That way you could highlight 200 characters, skip one and then go again?
In other words, PRS-T1 allows me to "split" a selected paragraph? Like this:

1) I highlight, say, 300 chars
2) thereafter I unhighlight one word within that 300 chars?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Have fun counting The T1 doesn't split it for you, as far as I know
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
In other words, PRS-T1 allows me to "split" a selected paragraph? Like this:

1) I highlight, say, 300 chars
2) thereafter I unhighlight one word within that 300 chars?
No, not really. The best method is to highlight in small chunks. In other words, if you want to highlight a whole paragraph, then do it in small consecutive blocks. The old software allowed you to highlight up to 2000 characters on non-DRM'ed books, but the new software has a 200 character limit. It is a meager 100 characters for books with DRM!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #30
martz

Mmh, that's what I thought. Just out of curiosity -- has there been any discussion on the reason of this 100/200-char limit?

Last edited by martz; 02-01-2012 at 04:23 AM.