Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Gnungnu
Gnungnu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Removing navigation bars from converted CHM

First of all I looked at the sticky on using the search/replace in Calibre. If that's the only way to do what I want to do, that's fine. I'll have to brush up on my regular expressions.

The approach I've been trying so far is a bit different though. I converted the CHM file to HTMLZ, unpacked it and ran a Python script I wrote to remove the navigation controls from the HTML, then packed it back up again, loaded the HTMLZ into Calibre, and tried to convert it to MOBI. I get an error that ends with:

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\reader.py", line 300, in _spine_from_opf
calibre.ebooks.oeb.base.OEBError: Spine is empty

I've tried doing this two ways so far. First I removed the table that was holding the navigation controls. That's everything between and including <table>...</table>. When that didn't work I tried removing the row from the enclosing table that held the table with the navigation controls. I got the same error both times. As far as I know the deletions were clean, leaving valid HTML behind. So at this point I can only presume that some elements of the HTML structure are fixed and necessary for the document to scan properly.

Am I removing too much? Too little? There seems to be some non-obvious meta structure to the HTML that is required for it to scan properly. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks.
Gnungnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnungnu View Post
calibre.ebooks.oeb.base.OEBError: Spine is empty

Am I removing too much? Too little?
One common problem with some "HTML" files is that they are missing the enclosing <HTML> and </HTML> tags. That causes a "spine is empty" error during conversion, but the file is readable with a browser (which inserts the missing html tags). It's worth checking.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Gnungnu
Gnungnu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The <html> and </html> tags are there. The file will convert correctly before I strip out the navigation controls, so something I'm removing is causing the problem. I've done some spot checking to ensure that I'm not removing anything I don't intend to with my script, and what I'm seeing is that it's doing exactly what I intend. What does a "spine is empty" error mean? That might help me narrow my search.

In the meantime I'm running the file through some HTML validators to see if they can point out the problem, but so far the file is throwing so many errors that's not being helpful. Lots of closing </br> tags and such things that don't validate properly.
Gnungnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
In the meantime I'm running the file through some HTML validators to see if they can point out the problem, but so far the file is throwing so many errors that's not being helpful. Lots of closing </br> tags and such things that don't validate properly.
Calibre requires valid (X)HTML to do a successful conversion, so if an HTML validator thinks there is problems with the file I would not expect Calibre to successfully convert it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
What does a "spine is empty" error mean? That might help me narrow my search.
Many errors that would cause a validation failure of the HTML will produce the spine is empty error. You can search for that phrase here, but I doubt it will help much. I think of it as a generic error message that conversion has failed at a late stage due to errors early in the conversion that prevented the production of valid (X)HTML.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
spine is empty means that no HTML documents were found. Note that calibre does not require valid (X)HTML, it is fairly forgiving in its parsing, but not infinitely so, various errors can cause the parsing to fail.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote