Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #91
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I went to that first link (the unicode character search). It was cool. I entered ellipsis and em dash in the query box and it gave me all these U+2012 or whatever. What are all those U numbers for?
The U+#### are the unique UTF-16 codes for the symbol. You can safely ignore all of those (although it makes it easier to find the character if you wanted to use the built in Character Map in Windows (See Image 3)).

If you look at the first image I attached, make sure that you have the HTML Entities box activated. This makes FileFormat show you the actual copy/pastable character on the right side (marked in Image 2).

First Column: Long description of letter (this is why there are multiple duplicates on the page)
Second Column: Unique UTF-16 number
Third Column: (Same as first column for the most part)
Fourth Column: The HTML character.
  • I personally make my font size HUGE on that page so I can see the characters much easier than the character map.

Quote:
And thanks for the Greek alphabet.
No problem. There are also very nice lists of characters with accents. I constantly keep tabs open in Firefox for the Wikipedia pages for Macron, Grave accent, Acute accent, Diaresis, Circumflex, Caron, Dagger.

Quote:
Lastly. How do I do the multiple quote thing (in a way that keeps things straight)? And are people going to know I wrote them if I do three or four quotes in one post? (I'm all for keeping the thread cleaner--and I get tired of seeing my picture so much!)Thanks man.
Every time I click quote, I just copy/paste the code generated from MobileRead into a text editor (I use Notepad++). I then split the posts manually, the code is quite easy.

You can see that MobileRead sticks the post between a QUOTE, and a /QUOTE tag:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.

Second  Second  Second  Second.

Third  Third  Third  Third  Third.[/QUOTE]
The first quote tag has the user who said the quote (marked in red), and the post # (marked in blue). The Red/Blue sections are optional, but I prefer to keep them in tact when quoting a user multiple times.

I copy/paste the opening tag when splitting up a user's post for much more easy readability, and remember to always put the closing QUOTE tag (light blue) at the end (THIS IS A VERY EASY STEP TO FORGET).

If I just wanted to comment on the user's first and third paragraphs:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the first paragraph belong here.

[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]Third Third Third Third Third.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the third paragraph belong here.
From Notepad++, I type out my posts, and then copy/paste back in to the box on MobileRead. I then make sure to PREVIEW POST (very important).

You will most likely mess up many times before getting it down pat, but I have been doing it that way on forums for years (I have lost too many great posts to the abyss).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FileFormat1.png
Views:	176
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	103577   Click image for larger version

Name:	FileFormat2.png
Views:	192
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	103578   Click image for larger version

Name:	CharacterMap.png
Views:	161
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	103579  

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-27-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #92
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do take the time.
There are 2 basic types I commonly use:

1) The basic Paste it in.
I created Groups; (for those not on the 'Clips bar', which nee to be un-grouped and first on the list)

2) Wrap the selected text. (useful in CV for predefined styling classes)

Look at (and use/edit) the samples.

I have a few of my common CSS entries in my CSS Group

I attached MY current CLIPS version as a sample
Remove the TXT from the end (MR does not allow ini files ),
Run Sigil
Edit: Preferences: (use the button to open the location). Quit Sigil
Rename (or save somplace) the original clips.ini file, then paste my version. Have fun. if you don't like mine (my feelings won't be hurt), Bin it and restore the original
Thanks so much. I looked at your list of stuff. I just wonder (as just a fiction writer) if using clips is going to be a real advantage to somebody like me. I'm going to experiment with them though and your info. is going to let me do that. Thanks much.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #93
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
The U+#### are the unique UTF-16 codes for the symbol. You can safely ignore all of those (although it makes it easier to find the character if you wanted to use the built in Character Map in Windows (See Image 3)).

If you look at the first image I attached, make sure that you have the HTML Entities box activated. This makes FileFormat show you the actual copy/pastable character on the right side (marked in Image 2).

First Column: Long description of letter (this is why there are multiple duplicates on the page)
Second Column: Unique UTF-16 number
Third Column: (Same as first column for the most part)
Fourth Column: The HTML character.
  • I personally make my font size HUGE on that page so I can see the characters much easier than the character map.

No problem. There are also very nice lists of characters with accents. I constantly keep tabs open in Firefox for the Wikipedia pages for Macron, Grave accent, Acute accent, Diaresis, Circumflex, Caron, Dagger.

Every time I click quote, I just copy/paste the code generated from MobileRead into a text editor (I use Notepad++). I then split the posts manually, the code is quite easy.

You can see that MobileRead sticks the post between a QUOTE, and a /QUOTE tag:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.

Second  Second  Second  Second.

Third  Third  Third  Third  Third.
The first quote tag has the user who said the quote (marked in red), and the post # (marked in blue). The Red/Blue sections are optional, but I prefer to keep them in tact when quoting a user multiple times.

I copy/paste the opening tag when splitting up a user's post for much more easy readability, and remember to always put the closing QUOTE tag (light blue) at the end (THIS IS A VERY EASY STEP TO FORGET).

If I just wanted to comment on the user's first and third paragraphs:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the first paragraph belong here.

[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]Third Third Third Third Third.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the third paragraph belong here.
From Notepad++, I type out my posts, and then copy/paste back in to the box on MobileRead. I then make sure to PREVIEW POST (very important).

You will most likely mess up many times before getting it down pat, but I have been doing it that way on forums for years (I have lost too many great posts to the abyss). [/QUOTE]
Wow. Thanks Tex. From now on I'm going to be an expert at finding any UTF character imaginable. That is a really good system you shared.

I gotta tell you though (although I'm sure it works great--I've seen people do it and it does make things leaner) I don't know (lol) if I have the discipline to do the text editor etc etc stuff to incorporate multiple quotes in a single post. (I admire that you do.) Maybe some day. (I'm kind of tired right now--maybe I'll feel differently in the morning.lol) At least now I know how to do it. I really appreciate you sharing all this great information with me. Thanks so much.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #94
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At least now I know how to do it. I really appreciate you sharing all this great information with me. Thanks so much.
You could always just use the MobileRead box/buttons as well... but none of the cool people use that.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #95
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I don't know (lol) if I have the discipline to do the text editor etc etc stuff to incorporate multiple quotes in a single post.
Quote:
You could always just use the MobileRead box/buttons as well... but none of the cool people use that.
Just to expand on that last comment. In the bottom right corner of each post there are three buttons. The one in the middle is the multi-quote toggle. Click that to turn it on for each post to which you want to reply. When you then click quote, all the messages highlighted will be quoted in the MobileRead post editor, ready for you to edit and reply.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #96
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The beauty of docx is that (like epub) it's really a zip archive. Change the file extension, you'll find a load of files and folders including one with any pictures in the document.
Make sure your operating system has been told to show file extensions. The default 'hide extensions for known file types' in Windows is stupid, if only for security. Consider an executable called fluffy_kittens.jpg.exe. It will display as fluffy_kittens.jpg. That's OK to click on, right?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #97
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I so want to be cool, Tex. lol But I think the buttons are going to be easier! I'm going to test them out.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #98
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Oh, this is so efficient.

Quote:
Ahhh, Tex. The buttons are SO EASY. I'm hooked (and, alas, uncool. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Just to expand on that last comment. In the bottom right corner of each post there are three buttons. The one in the middle is the multi-quote toggle. Click that to turn it on for each post to which you want to reply. When you then click quote, all the messages highlighted will be quoted in the MobileRead post editor, ready for you to edit and reply.

Graham
Graham, I'm really starting to think you're a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
The beauty of docx is that (like epub) it's really a zip archive. Change the file extension, you'll find a load of files and folders including one with any pictures in the document.
Make sure your operating system has been told to show file extensions. The default 'hide extensions for known file types' in Windows is stupid, if only for security. Consider an executable called fluffy_kittens.jpg.exe. It will display as fluffy_kittens.jpg. That's OK to click on, right?
Wombat, Thanks man. I think the docx might be a little more than I need, though. I'm not doing any tables or photos. Just plain text. Good to know this stuff though (in case I do need it). Thanks.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #99
alg2468
alg2468 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Velocity Cruz T301, EZReader, Iview 435TPC, Wikireader
A great alternative is Corel Wordperfect Office;; has many of the same (and then some more) features like Office - fully compataible - and a lot cheaper. You can get it on Ebay and Amazon for less than half the price of MS Office. their latest version is X6.
alg2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #100
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Just to expand on that last comment. In the bottom right corner of each post there are three buttons. The one in the middle is the multi-quote toggle. Click that to turn it on for each post to which you want to reply.
I never noticed those other two buttons in the bottom right corner. This multi-quote button will save me seconds every day! That means more seconds can be used to convert more EPUBs!

Quote:
Ahhh, Tex. The buttons are SO EASY. I'm hooked (and, alas, uncool. lol)
Yeah, easy is the way the uncool people take!

Even using MobileRead's reply forms, you can still do a lot of my splitting paragraph/quote tips. A lot of the time when you quote someone, you don't want their entire post in the QUOTE boxes, but you DO want to cover each of their paragraphs separately.

Now I do not have to see hundreds of your face in every Sigil topic.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #101
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Nothing is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg2468 View Post
A great alternative is Corel Wordperfect Office;; has many of the same (and then some more) features like Office - fully compataible - and a lot cheaper. You can get it on Ebay and Amazon for less than half the price of MS Office. their latest version is X6.
alg, Thanks for the info. Cheaper is definitely better. Appreciate it.

Quote:
I never noticed those other two buttons in the bottom right corner. This multi-quote button will save me seconds every day! That means more seconds can be used to convert more EPUBs!

Yeah, easy is the way the uncool people take!

Even using MobileRead's reply forms, you can still do a lot of my splitting paragraph/quote tips. A lot of the time when you quote someone, you don't want their entire post in the QUOTE boxes, but you DO want to cover each of their paragraphs separately.

Now I do not have to see hundreds of your face in every Sigil topic.
Tex, Say what? Cover each of their paragraphs separately. Okay.
#1)Good things you noticed those buttons.
#2)If that's the case, I'm proud to be uncool!
#3)Everyone should be practicing your splitting paragraph/quote tips. (In fact, it should be a requirement for U.S. citizenship.)
#4)What's wrong with my face? (LOL #4 is entirely rhetorical.)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #102
alg2468
alg2468 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Velocity Cruz T301, EZReader, Iview 435TPC, Wikireader
Hi everyone:

In a previous post in this thread I mentioned about the latest version of Corel Wordperfect and how it's a much better value than MS Office. Wordperfect Office X6,in its Standard Version, has the ability to convert documents into ebooks for the Kindle and EPUB (as well as PDF and many other) formats, as well as the ability to edit all formatting codes. You cannot do this in MS Word.
alg2468 is offline   Reply With Quote