Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Links question

I have a flowing text layout that I will publish as a .mobi file. There are a few chapters and at the end of each are footnotes that link to the area in the chapter where the footnote is mentioned. That works fine except I need to know if there is a way to do the following.

When viewing the published book when you are looking at the footnotes you will see they are clearly linked. After you click on a footnote and you are now looking at the area of the page where the footnote is linked to is there a way to click that area and be able to link back to the footnote area as this to me would mean I would have to create another set of links and anchors and have to restyle each sentence or paragraph the footnote points to, correct?

HT
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
I have a flowing text layout that I will publish as a .mobi file. There are a few chapters and at the end of each are footnotes that link to the area in the chapter where the footnote is mentioned. That works fine except I need to know if there is a way to do the following.

When viewing the published book when you are looking at the footnotes you will see they are clearly linked. After you click on a footnote and you are now looking at the area of the page where the footnote is linked to is there a way to click that area and be able to link back to the footnote area as this to me would mean I would have to create another set of links and anchors and have to restyle each sentence or paragraph the footnote points to, correct?

You can do it with a single anchor at both ends:

Code:
<p>It's a siberian badger <a name="footnote_1_ref" href="#footnote_1">1</a>!</p>

<h2>Footnotes</h1>

<p><a name="footnote_1" href="#footnote_1_ref">1 Meles leucurus sibiricus</a></p>
Or you could put just the number in the return link if you'd prefer. Or you could split the return link out separately:

Code:
<p><a name="footnote_1">1</a> Meles leucurus sibiricus.  <a href="#footnote_1_ref">(back)</a></p>
It's entirely up to you.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert