Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
LambdaFox
LambdaFox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Spreadsheet for Kindle Touch

I have a Kindle Touch. I would like a basic spreadsheet app for it. None are currently available through the Kindle store.

I read online that the app development platform is java. So, I am wondering if it is somehow possible to run Bean Sheet on the Touch?
LambdaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Beansheet? Maybe not. I'd try gnumeric. But most ss apps are a bit heavy..
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
LambdaFox

that looks less promising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Beansheet? Maybe not. I'd try gnumeric. But most ss apps are a bit heavy..
gnumeric appears to be a huge all-inclusive spreadsheet that I doubt would live well on the kindle.

one of the reasons i thought bean sheet might be a good candidate is that features are modular.

not being a developer myself, i wasnt sure if the fact that it uses Bean Shell would be a help or a hindrance.

i didn't find a specific reference to what language gnumeric is developed in, but arenet most linux apps written in C?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
debian - gnumeric

with some love... and a debian.. gnumeric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_178.png
Views:	401
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	103072  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
LambdaFox

Are you going to share with the class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
with some love... and a debian.. gnumeric
Could you share with the class, how you did that?

I assume you had to jailbreak the Kindle (which I have done) and then?

Last edited by LambdaFox; 03-21-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah right... okay I was having a look at that last night again.

I think I MAY be able to get it run natively using my scripty wangle

I have a look in a moment.

Basically you would just apt-get it from debian.
I went one step further and exported the whole thing natively.

but was struggling to get the libs to play nicely. The scripty wangle might fix it.
I'll let you know.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
twobob

I'm source code diving. seeing about the title attribute.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
LambdaFox

I dont speak Linux...

Quote:
I'm source code diving. seeing about the title attribute.
Hey, TwoBob. I don't speak Linux, but I am assuming that means you are "working on it"?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ah right... okay I was having a look at that last night again.

I think I MAY be able to get it run natively using my scripty wangle

I have a look in a moment.

Basically you would just apt-get it from debian.
I went one step further and exported the whole thing natively.

but was struggling to get the libs to play nicely. The scripty wangle might fix it.
I'll let you know.
If we could get java embeded headful, and change some titles, we could get that beansheet to run on this thing. A more elegant solution would be to port it to a kindlet
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambdaFox View Post
Hey, TwoBob. I don't speak Linux, but I am assuming that means you are "working on it"?
I "worked on it" most of yesterday morning.

The real problem is DOES NOT launch the sheets with the title you give it.

Ill stick some more details on here to show what I mean later.

Dithyr/Xephyr would be the solution... only people report they cant get my xephyr going for some reason I can fathom... and since really good linux users have struggled and failed. I am reticent to point you in that direction.

The only other bullet-proof solution is I build you a complete debian solution and then you run that.

Like I said, worked on making you NOT have to do that most of yesterday but... I'm struggling to get it to "play nice"

I'll post more when I have it
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
If we could get java embeded headful, and change some titles, we could get that beansheet to run on this thing. A more elegant solution would be to port it to a kindlet
That could work I suppose.

Would definitely NOT be something I personally fancy doing though.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
That could work I suppose.

Would definitely NOT be something I personally fancy doing though.
Thanks for taking that up.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
twobob

I did LOOK at bean sheet. A few times.

My lack of java skills is the only things that make me unsure about if it would work easily.

From what I understand of the crippled infrastructure prior to using JSwing on the touch I would have said "In a million years", on the Touch/Pw "I suppose"

The big PITA with getting gnumeric going is twofold 1) it insists on connecting to dbus. I have got that working but...

Quote:
GLib-ERROR **: The thread system is not yet initialized.
Trace/breakpoint trap

GLib-ERROR **: The thread system is not yet initialized.
Trace/breakpoint trap
^-- It really upsets the lipc on the kindle - This is related to the more modern implementations no longer actually requiring/supporting such a thread model (I could dig up the relevant page but you can take my word on that)

And secondarily the Title attribute so badly needed to bring gnumeric "to the front" natively under awesome just doesn't "work" in the right way. even passing the --name --class or whatever is totally pointless because each subwindow (READ: THE WINDOWS WE NEED) starts up as "Book1.gnumeric - Gnumeric" , "Book2.gnumeric - Gnumeric" etc...

Making the Xephyr option a better solution since at least we can actually START the relevant "contactable" dbus under debian (despite the errors) and get it to the front...

I spent - I dunno - 8 hours? or something? poking around with various approaches.

There are two REAL solutions... build and patch it from source for arm. (ouchy) feel free someone to jump on that.

or b) invoke debian / Xephyr with the relevant dbus installed (I have this atm), a window manager, and use an OSK for the data entry. I just gave that a quick test and it worked.

If the OP wants that. I can just give it to them AS-IS. I wont be taking this to building it from code, as I just don't care enough about it. TBH. but it was fun to play with.

There is a WHOLE BUNCH of other rubbish in that debian image right now though.

I would probably recommend just following the DEBIAN ON PAPERWHITE instructions (or my "Step by step" instuctions on the same thread and doing it all via debian.

Added pictures. Hope that helps. I would choose HIDE DOCK

I can probably dig up the various installers I had to massage into there to get it all going too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_234.png
Views:	313
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	103356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_235.png
Views:	322
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	103357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_237.png
Views:	306
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	103358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_238.png
Views:	307
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	103359  

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
twobob

doing it on a k3 believe it or not would probably be a decent option as the keyboard is at at least not eating a large %age of the screen

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: s/wold/would s/lage/large
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
LambdaFox

further thoughs...

Quote:
doing it on a k3 believe it or not would probably be a decent option as the keyboard is at at least not eating a large %age of the screen
I also note that Oleo has been ported to many platforms, maybe that would be a place to start?

The first functionality I am looking for is really basic spreadsheet functions like summing a range of numbers, adding subtracting one cell from another, etc. Either gnumeric or oleo look fine for this purpose.

The second functionality I am looking for is list management. The Great Satan's spreadsheet allows me to easily sort & filter boolean, string, date and numeric values. I could not determine whether either gnumeric or oleo offered this ability on a quick google search. Do you know if either / both gnumeric and / or oleo support the light database ability to sort / filter data?

Given the KT's limited keyboard, I was thinking it would be best to create / do heavy entry on my desktop, and use the KT for reading and less intensive updating. Looking at your fourth picture, is the keyboard "always on" or is there a gesture of some kind to call it up?