Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
phaeren12
phaeren12 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Change Default Format Opened When clicking a cover in cover browser?

Ok, Let me give you some background on my setup first. So, I have two different computers that both have copies of the same Calibre library. On my desktop, I tend to read EPUB or MOBI formats and on my laptop I prefer to read PDF. So for each book in my library I have at least two formats: 1) either EPUB or MOBI, 2) PDF. The reason I use pdf on my laptop is because my laptop is a Dell Latitude XT2, so I can rotate the screen and use it as a touchscreen tablet which i like to do when reading books. I have found, as far as my preferences, that the touch controls work more smoothly in my PDF reader than calibre's e book viewer. I have already told calibre not to use the ebook viewer for PDF so I have that covered. Now to my question.

I browse my books by using the cover browser. When I click on the cover of the book I want to read it does one of two things: opens my pdf in my pdf reader if pdf is the only format i have of that book, or it opens an epub/mobi in the Calibre E-Book viewer if I have that file type. My question is, if I have both an EPUB format and a PDF format for a book, is there a way to set it so that when I click on the cover it opens the PDF format in my PDF Reader instead of defaulting and opening the EPUB format in the Calibre E-Book Viewer?

I know this is kinda wordy, so feel free to ask for clarification and I'll try my best to help you muddle through it.
phaeren12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@phaeren12 - try bumping PDF to the top of Preferences>Behaviour->Preferred input order on the laptop

Would be nice if there was a Preferred Viewer format.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Alt-V
or right-click for View Format
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks - no keyboard on a touchscreen, and context menu can be bleh - long wait and then you have to finger press the View and then finger press the format.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks - no keyboard on a touchscreen, and context menu can be bleh - long wait and then you have to finger press the View and then finger press the format.

BR
Did I mention I hate Touch
I do have fat fingers (making the 'Fat finger' problem even more... problematic )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did I mention I hate Touch
I do have fat fingers (making the 'Fat finger' problem even more... problematic )
Mine aren't fat, but they're seriously bent & twisted - hence my preference for the keyboard over the mouse - I don't mind touch, but driving context menus is a bit of a PITA.

BR
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
phaeren12
phaeren12 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
@phaeren12 - try bumping PDF to the top of Preferences>Behaviour->Preferred input order on the laptop
That worked, thanks BR.
phaeren12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Use Alt-V in Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Alt-V or right-click for View Format
Wow. Yet another neat feature I hadn't discovered! Thanks.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
Wow. Yet another neat feature I hadn't discovered! Thanks.
@pjmpjm see ==>> Keyboard Shortcuts

And you can setup your own for many other calibre features in Preferences->Keyboard

BR
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
@pjmpjm see ==>> Keyboard Shortcuts

And you can setup your own for many other calibre features in Preferences->Keyboard

BR
Thanks, BetterRed. Very useful. Am learning something new every day.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
Thanks, BetterRed. Very useful. Am learning something new every day.
Free software, free education - next you'll be wanting a free lunch

BR
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
pjmpjm
Zealot

Quote:
Free software, free education - next you'll be wanting a free lunch BR
Yet more good news, BetterRed. I never knew mobileread offered free books as well. (I have other sources for that.) I was mainly valuing the extremely helpful tips I've found about using Calibre.

As regards the 'free lunch' angle . . . I usually donate (in a modest way) to internet forums such as this one, when I find especially useful content, but continued searching around mobileread hasn't shown me any way of making an offering. I've twice donated to the Calibre project.

Please correct me if I've missed something obvious.

Having spent several weeks combing through the Calibre-related forum topics, I've now more or less finished my research and am back to my getting-more-stupid-every-day status . . .