Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Timmy_B
Timmy_B doesn't litterTimmy_B doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 1st gen, iPad 2 (on order)
Thanks for this thread, daffy4u!

I'm a new Kindle 3 (wifi) user but have had a DockStar for a good long while as my 'Personal Cloud'. I'm continually discovering new things for it!

I JUST installed Calibre and started to explore it's functionality, so configuring in my DS is just one additional option.

Thanks!
Tim
Timmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Pogoplug and FreeAgent Dockstar acts the same right? They act as your personal cloud? All you have to do is plug in your External HD to it and you're good to go? Or do you need to have both? Is the FreeAgent Dockstar just plug and play or does it need tweaking in order for you to download your files to your other device, like the Kindle. I want to be able to download my ebook wirelessly. Is it secured? Will other people be able to access them even if we didn't gave them a link? Would our files be easy to steal bec it's online all the time?

What's the difference of Pogoplug and the FreeAgent Dockstar? Is there a limit on how much storage capacity they can handle, will it be too much for them to handle say like 4-5TB?

PS: I don't have that big a storage but I just want to know the capacity they're still ok with. I wanna know so I could buy one....Hope someone could answer my questions. Thanks!
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Pogoplug and FreeAgent Dockstar acts the same right? They act as your personal cloud? All you have to do is plug in your External HD to it and you're good to go? Or do you need to have both? Is the FreeAgent Dockstar just plug and play or does it need tweaking in order for you to download your files to your other device, like the Kindle. I want to be able to download my ebook wirelessly. Is it secured? Will other people be able to access them even if we didn't gave them a link? Would our files be easy to steal bec it's online all the time?
I've never used a Dockstar but some Googling shows that it uses the PogoPlug software. If you go to the PogoPlug site you can watch some videos on how it works. As with, Dropbox, it is a password protected cloud. You specify which files you want to share. You can choose to share them with everyone or specific individuals.

Quote:
What's the difference of Pogoplug and the FreeAgent Dockstar? Is there a limit on how much storage capacity they can handle, will it be too much for them to handle say like 4-5TB?

PS: I don't have that big a storage but I just want to know the capacity they're still ok with. I wanna know so I could buy one....Hope someone could answer my questions. Thanks
!
As far as I can tell both both work the same way (since they use the same software). The PogoPlug has 4 USB ports so, add that many drives in whatever capacity size you like. I have a combination of an external drive, an old laptop hard drive I put in an external HD case I reuse all my old hard drives as external storage) case and a thumb drive.

Be sure to check out the features page on the PogoPlug site.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #19
Timmy_B
Timmy_B doesn't litterTimmy_B doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 1st gen, iPad 2 (on order)
Smile Dockstar vs PogoPlug

Diokdin,

Functionally, they're the same. The dockstar hardware design has a 'slot' for a FreeAgent Go drive so it's a drop-in and GO connection. That was a choice by Seagate to show differentiation for their drives.

The firmware code works the same and you simply connect your USB hard drives (even more than 4 via powered USB hubs), register your PogoPlug/Dockstar on-line and you're set to go.

Tim
Timmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
diokdin
Groupie

@daffy4u, I've been searching and watching videos and it seems like FreeAgent Dockstar is much cheaper for $30 than Pogoplug which sells the cheapest I found is $80, but since Dockstar still uses the pogoplug software. I guess I'll be buying the FreeAgent Dockstar for now since they do the same thing. I didn't see any Pogoplug for $45. Anyone can provide a link where to get pogoplug for $45?

About the pogoplug internet web base software, is it really a $30/year use on the FreeAgent Dockstar? How about the 2ND Gen Pogoplug, is it $30/year too or totally free? For $80-$100 it's not bad if it's totally free. No hidden charges whatsoever...

Last edited by diokdin; 10-12-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added more comment...
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #21
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_B View Post
Diokdin,

Functionally, they're the same. The dockstar hardware design has a 'slot' for a FreeAgent Go drive so it's a drop-in and GO connection. That was a choice by Seagate to show differentiation for their drives.

The firmware code works the same and you simply connect your USB hard drives (even more than 4 via powered USB hubs), register your PogoPlug/Dockstar on-line and you're set to go.

Tim
Thanks...Is the Pogoplug web access a 30/year thing? From what I can see on YT videos they mention that. It's only free on the first month then you have to pay? Is it true? or is it really free? I wanna know this before I buy one.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
The pogoplug interface with the dockstar is free for the first year, but the last I read, Seagate had made it free for life. I cannot swear on that, but the dockstar can be loaded with different OS and used for MANY other things as well if that agreement changes.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@daffy4u, I've been searching and watching videos and it seems like FreeAgent Dockstar is much cheaper for $30 than Pogoplug which sells the cheapest I found is $80, but since Dockstar still uses the pogoplug software. I guess I'll be buying the FreeAgent Dockstar for now since they do the same thing. I didn't see any Pogoplug for $45. Anyone can provide a link where to get pogoplug for $45?

About the pogoplug internet web base software, is it really a $30/year use on the FreeAgent Dockstar? How about the 2ND Gen Pogoplug, is it $30/year too or totally free? For $80-$100 it's not bad if it's totally free. No hidden charges whatsoever...
There is no additional charge for using the Pogoplug software with the PogoPlug. From the features page I linked you to:

Quote:
No fees ever

Access, share, download, upload and store as much as you want. Buy Pogoplug - the service is free. No additional fees, ever.
There was a sale on PogoPlugs earlier in the month for $45 (I bought a 2nd one to give as a gift) at buy.com but it's over now.

So I guess your choice is to pay more now and only pay more to add or upgrade the drives... or pay less and pay a yearly fee along with the addition or upgrade of drives.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
diokdin
Groupie

Hmmm... I don't wanna buy the Seagate and then find out I can't use it bec I have to pay to access pogoplug. I'm not techie, I never hack or jailbreak anything at all so I don't know about that even if Seagate can be use by a different OS all the terms just go over my head. Well, Holiday season are near so I expect there will be lots of deals pretty soon. Hopefully I'll be able to get a pogoplug below $50. I can still wait....In the meantime, Dropbox works for now.

daffy4u, Timmy_B and karthwyne for answering my q's.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Hmmm... I don't wanna buy the Seagate and then find out I can't use it bec I have to pay to access pogoplug. I'm not techie, I never hack or jailbreak anything at all so I don't know about that even if Seagate can be use by a different OS all the terms just go over my head. Well, Holiday season are near so I expect there will be lots of deals pretty soon. Hopefully I'll be able to get a pogoplug below $50. I can still wait....In the meantime, Dropbox works for now.

daffy4u, Timmy_B and karthwyne for answering my q's.
I think you've made the best decision for your wallet and comfort level.

Should you change you mind, I would suggest your subscribe to the RSS feed of The Cheaspskate by Rick Broida from CNet. I find a lot of tech deal through this feed, including the PogoPlug $45 offer (which was the 2nd one in as many months).
Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think you've made the best decision for your wallet and comfort level.

Should you change you mind, I would suggest your subscribe to the RSS feed of The Cheaspskate by Rick Broida from CNet. I find a lot of tech deal through this feed, including the PogoPlug $45 offer (which was the 2nd one in as many months).
Thanks for the link daffy. I'll check that out!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Looking at the pogoplug site, it seems that POGO dropped the business model of charging for service. So any device (pogo or seagate) should give free access, but of course, pogo could change that at any time.

I do think that it would be disastrous for them at this point to attempt to do it, esp since they dropped the cost model (in my opinion) because no one would pay for it regardless of the device they had.

I'll post here if I notice another sale on the dockstar, but you can get it for $40 straight from seagate. http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...gent_dockstar/
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
Looking at the pogoplug site, it seems that POGO dropped the business model of charging for service. So any device (pogo or seagate) should give free access, but of course, pogo could change that at any time.

I do think that it would be disastrous for them at this point to attempt to do it, esp since they dropped the cost model (in my opinion) because no one would pay for it regardless of the device they had.

I'll post here if I notice another sale on the dockstar, but you can get it for $40 straight from seagate. http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...gent_dockstar/
Ohhh so it's free? Do you have a Seagate Dockstar you are using via the pogoplug software? Did you pay for it at first? And now it's free?

If this is the case...Hmmm... decision, decision...

karthwyne
Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
karthwyne
Connoisseur

I got a dockstar 2-3 months ago. I cannot swear, but I think the installation "wizard" stated that it was free for the first year. I cannot locate anything that seems to indicate that it is not free for life now (and the documentation just was not updated). I have not provided them any personal information or payment information so there is no way that they could charge me.

Looking through my account there, I do not see anything that mentions a fee or subscription or expiration. (this access is at http://dockstar.pogoplug.com)

It also works relatively well with streaming to my PS3 and is easily read by my WDTV Live.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
I got a dockstar 2-3 months ago. I cannot swear, but I think the installation "wizard" stated that it was free for the first year. I cannot locate anything that seems to indicate that it is not free for life now (and the documentation just was not updated). I have not provided them any personal information or payment information so there is no way that they could charge me.

Looking through my account there, I do not see anything that mentions a fee or subscription or expiration. (this access is at http://dockstar.pogoplug.com)

It also works relatively well with streaming to my PS3 and is easily read by my WDTV Live.
The link you provided had this under one of the pictures:

Quote:
* Includes Pogoplug Internet file sharing service - no subscription or additional fees required. Pogoplug Service is subject to Pogoplug terms and conditions. Files on your home network may be accessed by devices on the same network without activating Pogoplug service. Pogoplug service is required for remote file access and Internet file sharing.