Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
@Kumabjorn

I remember discovering Sjowall and Wahloo some years ago (in French translation) and really enjoying them - partly because they offered a vision of a society somewhat unlike my own.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Probably because the stories take place back in the 70's.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Kumabjorn, I too enjoyed the millennium series in part because of the locale and the internal politics. We get such crap for news in the USA, that it takes novelists and comedians and foreign press to get a perspective on the world outside.

Because of Mr. Larsson's work, I found another author from Sweden that I like a lot - Henning Mankell.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

TimMason, any recommendations for French authors in a similar genre as Steig Larsson? I would enjoy insights about French society and politics while I get entertained by the plot.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
Kumabjorn, I too enjoyed the millennium series in part because of the locale and the internal politics. We get such crap for news in the USA, that it takes novelists and comedians and foreign press to get a perspective on the world outside.

Because of Mr. Larsson's work, I found another author from Sweden that I like a lot - Henning Mankell.
Kurt Wallander seems to come alive on those pages, doesn't he?
Ystad is a very small city on the southern coast of Sweden. Every summer it is run over by German tourists who come to participate in "Wallander Tours".
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
TimMason, any recommendations for French authors in a similar genre as Steig Larsson? I would enjoy insights about French society and politics while I get entertained by the plot.
I admire (enormously?) the books by Fred vargas.

They are written better then the Millenium books, IMHO

Not much about political insight, about the same level than in Millennium.
I hope that this comment is useful.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
@Kumabjorn

I remember discovering Sjowall and Wahloo some years ago (in French translation) and really enjoying them - partly because they offered a vision of a society somewhat unlike my own.
It is great stuff. Martin Beck has been the model of many imitators. The side characters very well developed and lovable. The somewhat algid nature of our friends the Swedes, quite well depicted. I reread them many times.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
asjogren
Addict

Thank you for the recommendation, Beppe.

My Seattle public library has several of Fred Vargas' in paper, none in eBooks. I will check one out this weekend.

Again, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation, Beppe.

My Seattle public library has several of Fred Vargas' in paper, none in eBooks. I will check one out this weekend.

Again, thanks for the recommendation.
You are very welcome. Get the right sequence, the characters grow like in Millenium, although the stories stand by themselves.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Sorry - I didn't see your question. I'm afraid I don't read thrillers in French. I don't know why, it just doesn't happen. So I'll leave Beppe or perhaps FlorenceArt (if she pops in) to give you some pointers.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote