Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #16
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Concerning LANDSCAPE MODE of the 350:

Future versions of PRS+ will have a fix for that and will bring 'real' landcape mode. It is already existent and working fine.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #17
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
A,

If you refer to fading the last line to indicate repetitions, it's helpful but not a true fix.

It's nice to know that people are trying.

Thanks!

LKK
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #18
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, there is a NEW FUNCTION, man can say a second way to go into landscape mode. It works as in other readers and turns the screen 90°, no repetitions and same font size. Not just splitting the screen in 2 parts as in the original sony firmware.

It's available just as custom build, but certainly will find its way to a/the next release I guess.

A.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've got a 350 (I bought another one for replacement) and I've purchased a T1 (that will go to my sister in law), so you see what my opinion is

1.- I have more than 100 books in my 350, and I don't feel the big delay.
2.- I much more prefer 5" than 6" (my 350 always goes with me).
3.- I'm not interested in audio (the audiobooks in my iPhone die a slow death).
4.- Wifi is not a must for me (no book goes unprocessed to my ereader and I don't have all my library in calibre or dropbox).
5.- I feel much nice the feeling of the 350 library and features with PRS+ than T1 without it (non fair but this is a real word)
6.- Android isn't a selling point for me. I can't care less about the OS my reader has (I'm always has been a high-level software girl )

But, in the end, go with you feel more comfortable, I think you'll enjoy it.

BTW, I think I prefer Kobo Touch (yes, I already have it ) than T1, and that for sure if Kobo implements collections at some moment.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #20
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Just to add... well... nothing really:

You know, you won't go wrong with either of these two!
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
forget the agonising - at those prices, get both...

350 for pockets, T1 for more "formal" ocassions!

You'll use 'em both, believe me...
Putting a reader in a pocket is just waiting for it to break.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Concerning LANDSCAPE MODE of the 350: Future versions of PRS+ will have a fix for that and will bring 'real' landcape mode. It is already existent and working fine.
That's fabulous news! Thanks Analogus!

BTW, I saw in a different thread (post #3120) that you mentioned "MOST AWAITED function for changing CSS-style!!! ... now makes it very easy to change the style of the books." Is this the feature that will change fontst/css without having to re-open books a second time? And if so, is this part of the current installer (2.0.17rc3) or is it only available as a custom build? (If it's in 2.0.17rc3, it's not working for me. Hmm.)
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Putting a reader in a pocket is just waiting for it to break.
I only carry mine in pockets, but of course I don't put it in my back hip pocket where I'll sit on it, and it's always in the stiff Sony cover. I hate to carry a purse, so my jackets, coats and vests usually have big deep pockets, even larger inner pockets with zippers to keep it from falling out, and the pocket with the reader has nothing else in it, and nothing in another pocket that would press against it or near it.

It's no more at risk to break then being pressed up against items in a purse or backpack (which I've read several posts from members having cracked their screen that way), or the risk of dropping it trying to carry it in your hand always. You do still need to use common sense no matter what method you prefer to carry your reader, the screens are fragile.

Short of being hit by a bus , I feel it's as safe as I can possibly keep it in my pocket.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
Analogus
Fanatic

pssquirrel:

In one word: YES!

There are a couple of new functions made by the PRS+ team waiting for comming into a new release (not in normal release yet, just in custom builds):

- switching CSS inbetween a book as easy as normal change of the font size without reopening the book

- tap-funktions and gestures e.g. you can go into zoom mode with one single tab on the left upper corner or send reader to sleep with a vertical down-swipe (that's what I do)

- alter standby- and shut-down-time

- auto-save notes as textfiles (sadly not automatically the marked text)

- author list in the same manner as collections or the normal book list. Asignable to the home page

- zooming on double-tab/single-tab

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 12-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have both the 350 and the T1. I don't have PRS+ installed, and I haven't rooted. I will vote for the T1 because it is the newest model. I like the Wi-fi access to be able download books from my library and also to look up information in Wikipedia while I am reading. Really, I agree with the others that you can't go wrong with either model. Good luck on making your decision!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #26
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
pssquirrel:
In one word: YES! There are a couple of new functions made by the PRS+ team waiting for comming into a new release (not in normal release yet, just in custom builds) ...
Excellent news! Thanks!

P.S. Looks like it'll "probably be some time" before these new features are added to the public release. See posts #3283, #3286 and #3288 in this thread

Last edited by pssquirrel; 01-13-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: updated info
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
E-Cafe
E-Cafe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
I have yet to experience e-reading but I think I like this community already! =)
Thank you for everyone who has kindly commented on these two E-readers.

I finally have picked up the 350 as my first e-reader because of its compact size. If I want the additional features on T1 in the future, I can always buy a T1 (or even newer model then) but I may not be able to find another 5" e-reader, as 6" seems to be the standard for all e-readers. Still, I have not opened the package yet.

Any suggestion for a good case/cover for this e-reader?

After reading all the replies here and other posts, looks like installing PRS+ and Calibre would be essential for the 350. But I still am not totally clear about these 2 programs:

1) Where can I download the latest version of PRS+ and Calibre?

2) With these two programs, do I still need to install the Sony software that comes with the e-reader, like to transfer files or update the firmware?

3) What format of e-book is the best for the 350's 5" screen? I read about different margin and fonts settings in Calibre and PRS+ and I am wondering if any 350 user has experience/preference on those settings?

4) Is there any concern installing the 2 aforementioned software? Can I restore the 350 to the factory state?

Thanks again for all the input and great help! =)
E-Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good choice! Like you say, you may not get another chance with such a good 5" device.
PRS+ link: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/

I think the Sony covers for the 350 are really, really good. Both the lighted and the non-lighted. I started out with the lighted, but later bought a non-lighted as well and I now prefer that unless I suspect I'll be needing the light. (I kept my eyes open at eBay for a good bargain and finally it showed up.)
Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Oops, there were lots more questions...
Restoring to original software is as easy as installing PRS+. I.e. very easy!

There really is no need to install any Sony software, but also no harm in doing it. It will work with the device even if it has PRS+ installed.

Because of the smaller screen I want to make good use of it and make sure to remove all margins if I convert files. There is also a "margin cut" setting on the reader itself that I often use on books that have margins I haven't removed for one reason or other.

As far as settings, it's a matter of what you prefer and value. Don't be afraid to experiment!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
E-Cafe
E-Cafe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Hello, Asawi

I can't find the Sony or any covers for the 350 locally so I will have to order it online. Perhaps it is because the 350 is a discontinued model.

Thanks for the PRS+ link! Do you know where I can download the Calibre?

Great to hear that I can restore the 350 if necessary. I will take your suggestion and play with those programs.

I do appreciate advice on file type though. I read about .mobi is not as good as other formats. Just wondering what is the best format for ebooks so I can better organize my e-book library. Thanks.
E-Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote