Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Setting Time on the Kindle

I have a Kindle 3 with both wi-fi and 3G, but I don't have a wi-fi connection at my home, so I normally use 3G only. I have it set so that my Kindle sets the Device Time automatically via 3G.

I was surprised that the time was automatically updated on my Kindle this morning, after the change to Daylight Saving Time, as my 3G connection was not on overnight or this morning.

Pressing the Menu button from any Kindle screen will display the device time at the top of the screen. For those who need to set their time manually, here's how to do it (instructions taken from the "Amazon Kindle User's Guide"):
  • Begin at the Home screen.
  • Press the Menu button.
  • Move the 5-way to underline "Settings" and press to select.
  • Press Next Page to go to Page 2 of Settings.
  • Move the 5-way to underline "set" (Kindle Wi-Fi models) or "set manually" (Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi models) next to the "Device Time" setting and press to select.
  • Use the 5-way controller to adjust the hour, minutes, and am/pm setting.
  • Navigate to "save" and press to select.
On Kindle models that include 3G, you can have Kindle automatically set the device time to the correct local time by choosing "set automatically" on the second page of the Settings section. Also, on Kindle models that include 3G, after you set the time manually, you can select "edit" to change the device time.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not surprising at all. Linux and Windows both have a set of rules for setting to/from Daylight Savings time, based on the time zone, and the date and time. Kindle is Linux-based.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
For those who need to set their time manually, here's how to do it (instructions taken from the "Amazon Kindle User's Guide"):
  • Begin at the Home screen.
  • Press the Menu button.
  • Move the 5-way to underline "Settings" and press to select.
  • Press Next Page to go to Page 2 of Settings.
  • Move the 5-way to underline "set" (Kindle Wi-Fi models) or "set manually" (Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi models) next to the "Device Time" setting and press to select.
  • Use the 5-way controller to adjust the hour, minutes, and am/pm setting.
  • Navigate to "save" and press to select.
Thanks - I was wondering how to do that!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I have a wifi-only K3 and the time changes randomly, I wonder what's going on.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
That is odd. I haven't noticed that on mine. I use 3G only, though. And I don't check the time very often either, so for all I know it might be happening all the time on my Kindle.

I hope that someone here will be able to help you with that. If not, you might want to try calling Amazon.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
It does seem to change at random upon occasion. The time on the WiFi-only Kindle must be set manually. It doesn’t get the time automatically from a server as the 3G version does.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daylight saving, kindle, time