Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
ematte
ematte began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub issues with Epubcheck

I've been using a combination of InDesign and Dreamweaver to output Epubs and get the following error from Epubcheck.

ERROR: test book: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 22

Is anyone familiar with what is the filename in question and where I might change it? I've loaded the file on my Ipad and everything looks fine. I also convert it to Mobi in Calibre and it also loads fine on my Kindle.

I also always get an error message with Epubcheck regarding the "date". If I delete the date from the content file, it goes away. Exactly where do I input the date to eliminate this problem.

Thanks
ematte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Which "date" line are you talking about? I have two lines in my epub files, only because that's the way I was taught to do it. Here's the two I have.

<meta content="2010-05-15T13:41:36" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
<dc:date>2010-05-15 00:00:00-04:00</dc:date>

As for the first "filename", that's always going to be the "content.opf" file, as that's the file which tells the program reading it where to find everything and how it's labeled. As for the "must be 8, but was 22", I have no bleeding idea what that is. Is it 8kb vs 22kb, or 8 lines or what? I'm sorta wondering if this "epubcheck" needs some work on it. If nothing else the coder didn't do his work right in coding his error messages.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I got that error when I let zip include the directory information. Now I use the following two lines in a terminal shell:

zip book-file.epub -DX0 mimetype
zip book-file.epub -rDX9 *

That assumes that I'm creating the epub in the directory containing all the files.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
@ ematte - Try it that way:

Install Sigil, open your ePub file with it and save it right away without doing anything else. Then run ePubcheck again.

Saved a lot of "date trouble" for me, might also help with your 22 character length problem.

Last edited by K-Thom; 10-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematte View Post
I've been using a combination of InDesign and Dreamweaver to output Epubs and get the following error from Epubcheck.

ERROR: test book: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 22

Thanks
The first file in the epub zipfile must be called "mimetype", with no file type (txt, doc etc) which is 8 characters. This file must also be uncompressed. It informs the system that the rest of the file is an epub.

The content of this file is one line:

application/epub+zip

Absolutely nothing else.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 10-20-2010 at 03:05 AM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I also always get an error message with Epubcheck regarding the "date". If I delete the date from the content file, it goes away. Exactly where do I input the date to eliminate this problem.
That could be a case of this bug. It has been fixed in version 1.1, which is a release candidate now.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
CraigAtk
CraigAtk began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
The first file in the epub zipfile must be called "mimetype", with no file type (txt, doc etc) which is 8 characters. This file must also be uncompressed. It informs the system that the rest of the file is an epub.

The content of this file is one line:

application/epub+zip

Absolutely nothing else.
James_Wilde is absolutely correct about the manifest file. For more details on the required structure of the epub file, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#OE...ner_Format_1.0
CraigAtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
ematte & CraigAtk

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I ran a file I had through epubcheck and was shocked to realize that silly old me forgot the stupid mimetype file. Thankfully I only did that in one file. ^_^;;
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
ematte

Thanks everyone. I believe that covered all my issues.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
ematte

I forgot one thing. Even though epubcheck did not validate my file, I was still able to load it on my Ipad and Kindle with no apparent issues. What's up with that? Is Epubcheck too critical in it's validation?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

epubcheck is designed for 100% adherence to standard. Most device makers however know that not everyone is going to be able to be 100% adherent. So they develop their devices by the percentage rule. Some allow epubs that are only 70% compliant while others require 95%. Some even go so far as demanding 100% adherence on the core elements while overlooking files and things that don't affect navigation and display.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
I forgot one thing. Even though epubcheck did not validate my file, I was still able to load it on my Ipad and Kindle with no apparent issues. What's up with that? Is Epubcheck too critical in it's validation?
Try looking at it in Adobe Digital editions (free download) I think this program is the strictest one... If there is something wrong with your epub you will see it here
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

(goes to look at Adobe Digital editions) Argh. I hate Adobe. They have no love for Linux. They told me to go flog myself and get a "real" OS. So I guess it's back to loading this with Wine instead. *sigh* When is Adobe going to learn that there's more than just Apple and Microsoft in this world? But at least I'll give it a try and see how it does.