Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
On my Kindle 2, you can edit the default left/right margins. You don't even need to install any packages or jailbreak! I don't know if this will work for Kindle 3 or not, as I don't have one. But for earlier versions, hook the Kindle up to your computer and open the following file with your favorite text editor (e.g. notepad):
Code:
\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref
You will see a line like the following:
Code:
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=20
The default is 20 pixels (on each side). Change it as you desire; 0 does work if that is what you want. Once you have changed it, save the file, eject your Kindle, and restart it using the menu (Menu > Settings, Menu > Restart). Your margins should now have changed.
I've added this to the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._Change_Margin
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
However, if you select the dialog to change font size etc., this resets the margin - so you'd have to edit the file again to change it back.
I found that my margin was only reset if I changed the "Words per Line" setting. I can change font size without resetting my custom margin.
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #48
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
delete
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Would you be able to add that all books must be closed before trying? this was the reason my early attempts failed.
I think step 1 covers that. Feel free to edit the wording if you think it unclear — that's what a wiki is all about.

[update: Aha! Caught your message before your update! But you might be right that the instruction to close any open book before connecting to the computer needs more prominance.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-02-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #50
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think step 1 covers that. Feel free to edit the wording if you think it unclear — that's what a wiki is all about.

[update: Aha! Caught your message before your update! But you might be right that the instruction to close any open book before connecting to the computer needs more prominance.]
Ahh sorry about that, I was a bit quick of the mark in speed reading your entry initially then looking more closely...
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #51
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I am unable to find "\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pr ef". Sure would like some help.

The system folder on my K3 only has, what appears to be, the current preference placeholder.

Befuddled - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I am unable to find "\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pr ef". Sure would like some help.

The system folder on my K3 only has, what appears to be, the current preference placeholder.

Befuddled - John
I have a Kindle 2i, so I can't help directly. I thought someone in this thread mentioned success with a Kindle 3. Hopefully someone with a Kindel 3 will be able to help.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #53
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post

Befuddled - John
Hi

I don't have the system folder either, what I had to do was a search for reader.pref and this brought it up for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #54
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Windows ?

Quote:
Hi

I don't have the system folder either, what I had to do was a search for reader.pref and this brought it up for me.
Hi grizedale
Are you using windows ?
Is it configured to show hidden/system folders/files ?
That could be it.
Just a quick shot.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgeek View Post
Yes I have, so that's pretty strange!

Basically I had a bunch of ePub books with a huge left margin, and I was advised to use Sigil to edit the CSS stylesheets, which I did, and I then subsequently used Calibre to convert them to Mobi and transferred them onto my K3. The margins were indeed no longer there!
Screen shot please. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #56
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Brilliant !
Thanks, all
Karma on the way.
It appears that the word spacing also increases.
So we might get more real estate, but ...
It could also depend on the book/formatting.
Will have to look it some more.
Would be nice though to tell Amazon to include an option about margins in the Aa box
Got to go, earn money, so I can afford to
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #57
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Hi grizedale
Are you using windows ?
Is it configured to show hidden/system folders/files ?
That could be it.
Just a quick shot.
Windows 7 with folders shown, it would seem that the folder is hidden by some other means, it will show once the file is found but I cannot get directly to it.

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #58
pchrist7
Addict

Hmm

Quote:
Windows 7 with folders shown, it would seem that the folder is hidden by some other means, it will show once the file is found but I cannot get directly to it.
Are you an administrator on this windows7 system ?
Or is your account included in the administrators "group"
Try to start explorer as administrator ?
I only have acces to 1 win7 system, but that's so work related I darent experiment.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #59
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here are two screenshots, the first showing the default margins with HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 and the second showing the margins modified to HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=16.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-24915.gif
Views:	416
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	57524   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-54028.gif
Views:	422
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	57525  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-02-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #60
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Are you an administrator on this windows7 system ?
Or is your account included in the administrators "group"
Try to start explorer as administrator ?
I only have acces to 1 win7 system, but that's so work related I darent experiment.
I'm an IT tech so have complete control over my system, I think its a kindle thing...

Just so glad this tweak works, K3 is now perfect

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.