Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #571
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I've given away a lot of e-books -- sent mobi and epub files to strangers, just to be nice. A little voice in the back of my head always nags me about setting myself up for piracy, but I ignore it. Piracy is going to happen no matter what I do or don't do. I've decided that having more people read my books is a good thing, even if they don't pay for them. But it is unethical, especially when you can buy my books, and many terrific novels, for $2.99
L.J.
The Sex Club, now only $.99!
Is The Sex Club the first book in the Jackson series?

I think the important thing is to get your name and books out into the wild, where they can develop word-of-mouth. You may lose some sales in the short run but you will also pique interest in people who are willing to pay a reasonable price (which yours certainly are) for an ebook.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #572
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
People keep saying this, but it's not true. E-book publishers may have made their own mistakes but they have *not* made the mistakes that music publishers made.

The mistake music publishers made was that they *did not provide a convenient, legal way to buy digital music*. Not that they charged too much money, or set monopoly prices.
Music publisher did provide a legal and convenient way to buy digital music. They sold it on CD's, which happen to carry unencrypted digitalized audio signal. Everybody could rip it into mp3, all it took was a computer and 20 minutes of one's time. Unavailability of mp3 format was not an issue.

They did charge too much money, and they tried to set monopoly prices.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #573
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
People keep saying this, but it's not true. E-book publishers may have made their own mistakes but they have *not* made the mistakes that music publishers made.

The mistake music publishers made was that they *did not provide a convenient, legal way to buy digital music*. Not that they charged too much money, or set monopoly prices. They simply did not make the music available at all. Music publishing's problems were *never* about how much they charged for digital downloads, no matter how much people who don't like the cost of e-books would like for it to be.
I agree with your specific example (that pricing is not what the ebook industry is doing wrong - for the most part at least). I disagree with your opening sentence that "they have *not* made the mistakes that music publishers made".

The DRM fiasco is the single greatest mistake the music industry made. Wonder of wonders, they actually fixed it. Yes, they had to be dragged to it kicking and screaming and they only did it because it was pretty much provide unDRM'd mp3s and make money or let Napster do it for them. Still, they fixed it, which is no mean feat for an industry with all the grace and inertia of a minor star cluster. THIS is the mistake that the ebook industry has adopted. Customers flock to Baen primarily because they don't infect their books with DRM and make several formats available and you can download all the formats if you so wish (at no extra cost). The low book prices is an added bonus and a show of faith on the part of Baen that they are actually taking advantage of all that this medium has to offer and passing on some of the savings to the customer.

I like Amazon's pricing (and B&N, since they both seem to have observers matching each others' prices ) just fine, but to me, it was once the epitome of retailing. Prior to the release of Kindle, Amazon was the source of everything you'd ever want to buy. They still are, but with the notable exception of ebooks. As far as ebooks are concerned, most of the big names are device shills. Baen isn't - it's as simple as that.

The ebook industry has fallen for the marketing hacks' insistence on calling ebooks "content" to be "managed" and "licensed". That's their major mistake. Georestriction (this time, an MPAA blunder) is yet another mistake adopted from the RIAA/MPAA cabal.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #574
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I understand their *pricing scheme* fine (and not having to pay Amazon 30% for distributing their books means that they probably make about the same on a $6 book as they would on a $9. What I don't understand is that they *also* make these books available for free. So you don't have to pay even the $6.
Every single time when we start talking about e-book pricing, DRM, about how publishers don't get it, somebody mentions Baen.
If they just quietly sold their books they would be known to a small handful of hardcore fans of hard military SF.
They give books away and many, many people here said that they had no idea that there is somebody like Baen, until somebody here mentioned their free library. They then downloades some books, discovered great authors and eventually became customers.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #575
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I am sorry for misunderstanding. From your sentence:

I understood that you are claiming that "bits of the file" are shared only when you achieve seeder status, which is not the case.

My apologies, I misread your words.
Nah, no worries.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #576
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
They give books away and many, many people here said that they had no idea that there is somebody like Baen, until somebody here mentioned their free library. They then downloades some books, discovered great authors and eventually became customers.
You misread Andrew's post, kacir. The free library, where you can download a full ebook (or few) from a series still falls into the known marketing strategy, as one can make money by selling the rest of the series.

What Andrew is questioning, and I agree with him, is the content offered on http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com, where the complete Honorverse and Vorkosigan Saga series are available for download. Weber and now Bujold are star authors.

Why would anyone pay for the stuff offered for free? And why has David Weber chosen Tor as a publisher for his Safehold series?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #577
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
I bought some books from a well known store a few months ago . I downloaded them . I changed my book reader and my laptop so had no copy of these three books. Went in to my account at the bookstore and found that the link to the URL FOR These books are no longer valid . So Basically I would have lost these books even through I paid for them and had not read two of them. I think I would morally have the right to download them if I came across them in the ether otherwise I feel I have been cheated of my rights.
I agree with this.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #578
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
My impression of the majority of people who provide ebooks to the various P2P site is not that they are counting coup for the number of books they provide. That type of mentality seems to be more confined to the movie and games genre, where the age range and gender is more specific . A good portion of the music down-loaders have the "stick it to the RIAA" mentality as a result of the court cases that have been ongoing since the original Napster went down. Right or wrong, that mentality is entrenched.

But the ebook and audiobook sharers, with them it seems to be more of a sense of participating in a giant, worldwide free public library, from what I've seen. (And remember, the majority of us are used to reading books for free, and we tend to create our own lending libraries among friends and family.) They tend to thank each other for posts. They recommend similar authors. They act as reference librarians for one another and do searches for requested books. It's just a different mentality, and it hasn't been one of "let's rip off the writers and the publishing houses because we can". It's more of "oh, an author I never heard of before - that book looks good - thanks!" and "I'm glad I finally found an ebook version because my paper copy is falling apart from all the times I've re-read it".

What I mean is that the ebook/audiobook down-loaders are not the hard-core pirates that everyone seems so afraid of. Most of them are buying just as many paper books as they have in the past. They are people who just love books and who finally can share what they love with others. And a lot of them are fine-tuning the ebooks they put up with more care than the publishing houses do. I know the people who only see this issue in terms of black-and-white are going to dismiss this observation, but I'm telling you, there's a sense of community in those places, the same as there is here.

What I can see happening though, is as ereaders become more commonplace, more people are going to look for content for them. With the publishing houses trying to create a monopoly on pricing, they are traveling down the same path of the RIAA in that they are concerned with short-term profit instead of a long-range selling strategy. They are out-of-tune with their changing consumer base and if they don't wake up and realize that they are on the cusp of change, all of those easy-going people on the ebook sharing sites are going to develop that same "stick it to The Man" mentality that the music sharers have and refuse to pay high prices for ebooks.
This is very well said.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #579
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Customers flock to Baen primarily because they don't infect their books with DRM and make several formats available and you can download all the formats if you so wish (at no extra cost).
Unlikely. If that were the case people would be flocking to Smashwords too, but most of the ebook sales are still on Amazon. DRM is transparent to most people, and they neither know nor care about it. The only reason it was (reluctantly) removed from mp3 files was because people were upgrading their players and finding out they could no longer play their music. With so few manufacturers in the ebook reader market, and all the main ones aiming to tie users to their own hardware forever, that won't be a problem for most people.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #580
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
When people mention high cost of ebooks I assume we are talking their price in relation to paperbacks and hardcovers. According to my previous thread about books and inflation paperbacks are a very good value. Their costs since 1980 have mostly kept pace with the official US CPI but when you figure in sales and discounts (Border's 40% off coupons, etc) book prices are very low. Too low possibly deflationary.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #581
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Unlikely. If that were the case people would be flocking to Smashwords too, but most of the ebook sales are still on Amazon. DRM is transparent to most people, and they neither know nor care about it. The only reason it was (reluctantly) removed from mp3 files was because people were upgrading their players and finding out they could no longer play their music. With so few manufacturers in the ebook reader market, and all the main ones aiming to tie users to their own hardware forever, that won't be a problem for most people.
I wouldnt know a thing about Smashwords or Baen if I hadnt come to this site. I knew there were other sites to get ebooks but I had no idea what they were. Main place I got my books was Amazon and I didnt bother with Borders since they always seemed overpriced. They were overpriced on hardcovers, never touched their ebooks. Are the ebooks there overpriced too?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #582
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, they are.

Borders is a synonym for overpriced.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #583
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
When people mention high cost of ebooks I assume we are talking their price in relation to paperbacks and hardcovers. According to my previous thread about books and inflation paperbacks are a very good value. Their costs since 1980 have mostly kept pace with the official US CPI but when you figure in sales and discounts (Border's 40% off coupons, etc) book prices are very low. Too low possibly deflationary.
The price of paperbacks really shot up in the '70s, so by 1980 the publishers had probably found the maximum price that the market would bear. There hasn't been a lot of "bearable" room for them to exploit for price hikes since then.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #584
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Not so long ago they raised them from 6.99 to 7.99, though?

A pretty hefty 14% increase or so.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #585
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Does anyone happen to think that since the publishers don't really like the e-book they are driving the prices up on purpose to piss everyone off making the eReader obsolete and go back to paper books?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote