Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cool.

By the way, if you want to cut out the "middle man", and just have ImageMagick do the resizing, you can use:

convert input.pdf -resize 600x800! output.pdf

The units for -resize are pixels, 1/72th of an inch. It'll do every page. The exclamation mark is needed if you want to lose the aspect ratio.

Very handy if put in a batch file to do an entire directory (or more) at once. Let me know if you'd need help with that. (I'd need to know your operating system.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. The document looks quite dirty because it was scanned from a very old book. The text is also in Thai which current local OCR software is still not good enough to produce accurate text out of it.
Have you tried AnyBizSoft PDF to Word converter. It says it supports Thai and presumably once it's in Word you could tidy it up (assuming Word supports Thai) - and it's free! You can check it out here

EDIT: Just tried it with a vectored PDF and what it gives you is an image of each page in Word, so whilst you cannot edit the text you can resize the image - which might give you what you want.

Last edited by TGS; 03-31-2010 at 10:53 AM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Cool.

By the way, if you want to cut out the "middle man", and just have ImageMagick do the resizing, you can use:

convert input.pdf -resize 600x800! output.pdf

The units for -resize are pixels, 1/72th of an inch. It'll do every page. The exclamation mark is needed if you want to lose the aspect ratio.

Very handy if put in a batch file to do an entire directory (or more) at once. Let me know if you'd need help with that. (I'd need to know your operating system.)
Wow! very handy command.

I've tried the command with my pdf file, it failed on the way. I believe it was because my original file has a number of different page sizes.

It worked if my pdf input file has consistent page size; or same page size for all pages.

Thanks again.

Last edited by bthoven; 04-01-2010 at 01:00 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Have you tried AnyBizSoft PDF to Word converter. It says it supports Thai and presumably once it's in Word you could tidy it up (assuming Word supports Thai) - and it's free! You can check it out here

EDIT: Just tried it with a vectored PDF and what it gives you is an image of each page in Word, so whilst you cannot edit the text you can resize the image - which might give you what you want.
Thanks for your suggestion, OCR for Thai language has progressed no where near acceptable; so I would totally ignore this technology.

Even converting a vectored pdf into Word for Thai text, the result is still not acceptable, too many errors to correct.

If I have a vectored PDF which page size is too big with too much text, I use sopdf to trim the margins, and if necessary, to split each page into two, and view it in landscape mode. I can live with this approach.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote