Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
liss
liss doesn't litterliss doesn't litter

Device: cybook
Newbie from Oz

Hi
I've just joined as I have already found so much valuable information on this site about where to purchase ebooks (cheaply) and which ebook to buy. I've just ordered the cybook and I can't wait for it to arrive.
Liss
liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Liss and welcome to the Forum. You might want to send that Cybook back without opening it. Because once you do, you'll get addicted like the rest of us eBook junkies.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Liss and welcome to the Forum. You might want to send that Cybook back without opening it. Because once you do, you'll get addicted like the rest of us eBook junkies.
(he's totally right by the way)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
delmont
delmont
delmont began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Liss, I have just discovered e books and am studying hard to work out which e book would be the best to buy not only in function but also in buying e books in Oz, what made you decide on yours I have been tossing over the sony prs 505 and the iliad from Dymocks, feel free anyone else to give me some tips too please.
delmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
liss

Hi
I wasn't really sure which one to get either. From my reading I gather the cybook is the best (and value for money) if you just want to read. The iliad lets you take notes etc. which I wouldn't use anyway.

I've started a wishlist at books on board (an American site) and I'll mainly order from there - seems to be good prices and a huge variety. Some of the books I found on books on board aren't available at Dymocks yet and there was a fair price difference. (It also shows the price in AU$ which is handy for us.

Hope I've made the right decision I'm still waiting for it.

Take care
Liss
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by liss View Post

Liss
Congrats... and welcome to the forum. I am sure the CyBook will be right for you and you will love it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...Some of the books I found on books on board aren't available at Dymocks yet and there was a fair price difference.
HA! TAKE THAT DYMOCKS! (I'm not a fan of them, Liss, can you tell? )

Quote:

Take care
Liss
You'll love it. You've made the right decision because you did your research and picked the one you thought best for you. To be honest, if I had my time again I'd probably have the Cybook over the Iliad (the Iliad's great, but I just don't use it to its full extent as I thought I would).

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Hi
I've just joined as I have already found so much valuable information on this site about where to purchase ebooks (cheaply) and which ebook to buy. I've just ordered the cybook and I can't wait for it to arrive.
Liss
It's nice to have another Aussie on board, and you will have loads of fun with
with your reader, and with MR.
Welcome.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
liss

Thanks everyone. Being a newbie in Oz I was just wondering where you all buy your ebooks from. Is Books on Board the best place for me to shop or have you got any other suggestions.

Montsnmags seeing as you don't shop at Dymocks Where do you get your books? I have seen copyright info. on some sites suggesting that we aren't able to purchase from Australia - I'm assuming that we can anyway????
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Montsnmags seeing as you don't shop at Dymocks Where do you get your books? I have seen copyright info. on some sites suggesting that we aren't able to purchase from Australia - I'm assuming that we can anyway????
As you say, Books On Board, and also Fictionwise, though as I've been on a "public domain" binge, I've mostly been getting my free books from Mobileread. If you're at all into Science Fiction and Fantasy, I know Baen Books gets a lot of raps here.

As for country-of-residence limitations, this has been discussed here, when Books On Board started asking the question. It appears that simply changing your country of residence (not literally...unless you consider it sufficient cause ) may get around the limitation on any books so restricted (or, from one post I saw, there may just be a warning at checkout?). Anyway, you can see the relevant threads here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33842
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31648
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31722

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
liss

Thanks montsnmags - much appreciated.