Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
No downside at all!

I see content as king, I state that in my personal contributions in the “Did an ereader help kick start a reading habit” post, here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=3
and here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=17

So having “content”, or if you wand Books in any format one wants/ can lay hand on is a no problem is a no problem for me, not being able to have that “content” that is a problem!

Hell, I myself have full wall’s(literally) of shelves that make the marvel of my friends when they visit.
So once more, and even because I think one can not find a digital edition, besides the audiobook one, of “The Moon is A Harsh Mistress” anywhere... go for it!

Best regards,
PS: don't you think that some books are "hard drive worthy" too?
Goodness, that is my first choice........Kindle worthy.............however, this particular book is not available for download. So if my choice is to borrow from the library or buy.......I will buy! I also find that while the Kindle didn't 'kick start' my reading, being a 'reader' to begin with......I am reading more. Mostly old friends I haven't read in years and years.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 07-29-2008 at 09:08 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #32
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I have re-read Lord of the Rings 11 times in 8 years...I consider it my "cleansing" novel. If I am worn out and don't know what else I want to read - I'll plow through that one again. I get something new out of it with each re-read and grow to love it more and more each time.

I have a number of books that I have read more than once and that I will always keep around in case the mood strikes me. The beauty of my reader is that I can now have them in my pocket at all times in case I need them
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, especially when I had the "do you re-read books" poll going. Anyway, yes, I re-read, and so do about half the members of MobileRead, based on the poll. I re-read for all the reasons mentioned above-- because of the comfort of familiarity, to get more out of each reading, to admire the author's use of language, to re-experience a certain feeling, etc.

Also, as I'm getting older, I've found that if I wait a while before re-reading, I've often forgotten many of the twists and turns. I may remember the overall outcome, but not how we get there, which (in a good book) is much of the fun.

And as time goes by, the amount of time I have to wait seems to be getting shorter!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #34
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've always reread books, at first because we had a limited supply, and there was no easy way to get new ones more regularly.

Later on, It become a way to absorb the book more thoroughly as I would often rush through a book, and then go back to find what I missed.

It then became a way to revisit old friend, to read just a beautiful scene, or to refresh myself before reading a new book by the same author.

Nowadays, when tired physically or mentally, its nice to curl up with a old favourite and relax then try to get into a new book, even one by a favourite author.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I reread because I enjoy it. Some books I reread more often than others. I reread LoTR every six months for about 20 years and haven't read it at all in almost a decade. I've read Moon is a Harsh Mistress at least a dozen times.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #36
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I do not re-read books. The story is what I am really after, so "reading" is more a means to an end. I also have a voracious appetite for new things.

Though I am tempted to re-read certain stories, such as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or some short stories I have read.

However, movies and TV shows I will rewatch a lot (because the experience is a big part of it), and don't get me started on PC games.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #37
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i love to re-read books or series that i like.

one thing you might consider is that often with a complex book or series, reading it again will give the entire series a different slant since you know more about the characters and situation - in fact, it can make the beginning seem almost like a new book.

but the truth is that's not why i re-read books. books are like friends - and yes, i have human and animal friends, too. there are some oz books i've been re-reading since i was 6. and there's one novel i've been re-reading since before i was 18. i tend to read a new book or series followed by a previously read book or series. in fact, i love revisiting nice long series like the entire spenser series or the sun sword series (it's not that many books but most of them are satisfyingly long).

when i'm having a rough day or week, a book that i already know is a safe haven. if i don't feel up to horendous death or something, i can choose a book i know won't have what i don't want.

and then there's revisiting the characters. how many people here like to revisit their favorite characters? even though the story itself doesn't hold up for me as well as i'd like, i have to drop in on aunt pol, garion, belgarath and silk every few years
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:27 AM   #38
brathos
brathos began at the beginning.

Device: QTEK S100 with Isilo Reader:)
I'm a true re-reader:)

I love re-reading books that are important for me for any reason.
There are some books that I read over and over periodically in every 2-3 years. I do this because I love see how my personality changes by discovering that the same book that I've read a couple of years ago means something totally different today.

The books I've re-read at least three times:
- Dune series
- Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz (great!!)
- William Gibson, Joseph Heller & Kurt Vonnegut books
brathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 AM   #39
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I kinda have two modes of reading - my "recreational" mode where I read faster and forget faster, so I can re-read the book a year later with little less enjoyment than the first time; and my slightly slower but more permanent "study" mode where I can often give a coherent summary a couple of years later and remember significant passages (which is helpful for pedantic geeks like me). Unfortunately after 10 years I've generally forgotten most of it, whichever way I read it, so I've taken to re-reading a few things every 10 years. eBooks are great for storing and carrying around in that sense
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I do not re-read books. The story is what I am really after, so "reading" is more a means to an end. I also have a voracious appetite for new things.

Though I am tempted to re-read certain stories, such as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or some short stories I have read.

However, movies and TV shows I will rewatch a lot (because the experience is a big part of it), and don't get me started on PC games.
For me TV shows usually only give a story so I do not re-watch. But reading books always give an experience that is worth to have again. I have friends that seems to read mostly for the story and they do not re-read books so much.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #41
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I also have favourites I reread to cheer me up. (Don't know if I should confess some of them are historical romances.)

I read a lot of books quickly and can forget them just as quickly. My husband reads far fewer books but seems to rmember every detail.

I just reread Duainfey (Steve Miller, Sharon Lee) so I that I can better enjoy reading the sequel Longeye.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #42
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
For me TV shows usually only give a story so I do not re-watch. But reading books always give an experience that is worth to have again. I have friends that seems to read mostly for the story and they do not re-read books so much.
Same here. (Though I hardly watch TV or movies anyway... I like reading better. The only thing I like about TV and movies is the fact that you can watch them with someone else. I have watched very few shows or movies by myself.)

For me, the best of both worlds is to read a book at about the same time a close friend is reading it, so we can discuss it afterwards.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #43
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
other reasons

My favorite "re-read" books are extremely challenging. I.e., those that can't be fully understood on the first reading (or sometimes, the second or third).
  • The Fifth Head of Cerberus, by Gene Wolfe
  • The New Sun series, by Gene Wolfe
  • Riddley Walker, by Russell Hoban
  • Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft (probably more due to the arcane language)

Others are just so darn entertaining that I read them every few years, just like I re-watch my fave movies on DVD.
  • Startide Rising, by David Brin
  • Neuromancer, by William Gibson
  • Jorge Luis Borges
  • Philip K. Dick
  • Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns graphic novels
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am rereading my Star Trek books. I know I've not read them all. So this time, besides reading the new ones, I am rereading in timeline order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #45
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I re-read books for many of the reasons others have given - if I've raced through a book on the first read and I enjoyed it, I like to give myself time to savour it. Likewise if I've really struggled to get into a book, then found I enjoyed it I'll re-read it as I know I'll have missed bits in the initial struggle. And then there are some books that I just enjoy enough to re-read for the pleasure of revisiting old friends; or because I know they'll trigger certain parts of my imagination - I crave books to stimulate areas of my imagination that are depleted in the same way I crave some foods because my body has a need for something or other.

I certainly don't re-read every book I read or own - fast paced action thrillers don't seem to withstand much in the way of re-reading for me; although "cosies" do for some reason. And having managed to finish LoTR once is more than enough as far as I'm concerned!

But the fact that there are plenty of books that I do re-read is what led me to ultimately getting the 505. It has other advantages - I can flip between the novel I'm reading and a textbook for work, my hubby and I can read the same book at the same time - getting a new book that we both want to read is always causes a good-natured fight; but mostly it lets me carry around a lot of books that I can reread without needing to take up weightlifting and taking up two seats on my commute to and from work.

As far as re-watching TV shows goes, I do have a couple on DVD that I like enough to rewatch occasionally. One of those is Black Books...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote