Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
How Does Epub and Adobe affect Sony

What do you think will happen if Sony updates its firmware to support Epub and Adobe? Do you think the content offering at the Connect Store will increase or just broaden the places you can buy from. Especially with the recent Books on Board announcement. I think if Sony moves in this direction it definitely will show their commitment to the market.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 06-29-2008 at 06:55 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think the Sony will eventually become compatible with Kindle format and we Sony reader owners can buy books off Amazon. Sony will abandon its book selling
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I think the Sony will eventually become compatible with Kindle format and we Sony reader owners can buy books off Amazon. Sony will abandon its book selling
If Amazon wanted to sell "kindle" books to people with other devices they would have just made the Kindle a standard Mobipocket device rather than creating a closed system. So, I would bet 100 to 1 against what you said above.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-28-2008 at 02:36 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If Amazon wanted to sell "kindle" books to people with other devices they would have just made the Kindle a standard Mobipocket device rather than creating a closed system. So, I would bet 100 to 1 against what you said above.

BOb
I think it may happen eventually, but definitely not at this generation. What's crucial for Amazon's strategy is customer experience. Open the market to third parties at this stage will bring a lot supporting headaches. It is sort of like Mac vs. Windows analogy.

But in order to be successful in the long term, Amazon have to work with experience hardware makers like Sony. I wouldn't surprise if they quit making the dumb terminals and become a entity like the media distribution company.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
What do you think will have if Sony updates its firmware to support Epub and Adobe? Do you think the content offering at the Connect Store will increase or just broaden the places you can buy from. Especially with the recent Books on Board announcement. I think if Sony moves in this direction it definitely will show their commitment to the market.

JJ
Since we know that BooksOnBoard have started selling eBooks in ePub format, it means that we would be able to purchase DRM laden eBooks from BooksOnBoard instead of just Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I'm hoping Sony is getting out of the direct content sales business and will let others (e.g. Amazon) handle that for them. The longer everybody clings to their proprietary formats, the less likely ebooks are to survive.

I can't believe that Amazon really wants to be in the hardware business, either.

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
I'm hoping Sony is getting out of the direct content sales business and will let others (e.g. Amazon) handle that for them. The longer everybody clings to their proprietary formats, the less likely ebooks are to survive.

I can't believe that Amazon really wants to be in the hardware business, either.

Bob
I think I said it on the kindle forum but I am surprised that Amazon did not approach Sony or another established Device Manufacturer to provide the Hardware and let Amazon do what it does best and sell books. I can not wait for the market to move to one standard and then it is just down to which device I would like to read on.

JJ
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
What is the likelihood that Sony will move to Epub and/or the Adobe platform, and if they do, any kind of a timeframe in view? I'm really loving my Reader, but I'd really like to be able to buy more books than just what Sony has to offer. I like that Fictonwise offers multiformat books, but their selection is pretty limited and doesn't contain a lot of the more popular authors and books of the last few years.
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Found this on the net yes it is an old article but it still applies with this recent announcement.

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/12...-past-30-days/

JJ
Old 07-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I think I said it on the kindle forum but I am surprised that Amazon did not approach Sony or another established Device Manufacturer to provide the Hardware and let Amazon do what it does best and sell books. I can not wait for the market to move to one standard and then it is just down to which device I would like to read on.

JJ
Maybe, Amazon did approach an established device manufacturer and found it easier to go their own way, we don't know. Sony already has some kind of deal with Borders so why would Amazon go to them?

Edit: Do we know if Sony ever approached Amazon when they began to develop their Reader?

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe, Amazon did approach an established device manufacturer and found it easier to go their own way, we don't know. Sony already has some kind of deal with Borders so why would Amazon go to them?

Edit: Do we know if Sony ever approached Amazon when they began to develop their Reader?
You may be right, Not everything that makes sense to Joe Consumer, Ever registers in Big Business.

JJ
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just to put my 2 cents worth in, it sounds like it's pretty likely that there will eventually be convergence towards a particular ebook format standard. I also think that eventually DRM will go by the wayside. That is the direction that music is going and as hidebound (if you will forgive the pun) as the book industry is, I just don't see the book industry being able to avoid it. I just am not sure of the time line. As a guess, anywhere from 2-5 years.

I would expect that Amazon views the Kindle as a way to sale content, which Sony views connect as a way to sale hardware. That's just how each company seems to be focused, IMPO. From a consumer point of view, it seems like it would have made sense for Amazon and Sony to partner, but I guess this is a case of both companies getting a bit greedy and not wanting to share the pie.

I suspect that at the moment, the biggest question mark for many of the people who have purchased books is how to avoid having to repurchase books when formats change or more precisely, what to do with DRM'ed books since that is the only format that isn't easily re-formatted. My hope is that once DRM goes by the wayside, the various companies will provide a method for re-downloading the books at a fair price, but I guess that will depend on the contracts that the content providers have with the copyright owners. As we saw with the high def, dvd format wars, once it became clear which format was going to win, sales for that format picked up dramatically, so if that question gets cleared up, then I think we will see a jump in sales.

I've purchased quite a few books from Sony (around 100 last count), so this last question concerns me. However, I think that if the content provider (Sony in this case) either doesn't provide a solution or is too greedy about it, then a different solution will be available for most of these books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
I'm not sure I'm thrilled by the idea of Amazon being the sole source of licensed electronic content. But in general, I'm not pleased by anybody being the sole source of anything.

Quote:
Why shouldn't they be, if they can make money on it?

And they probably can. Amazon has an enormous amount of electronic content, and better pricing on titles available elsewhere--if you have a Kindle. They are using their position as the biggest content provider to leverage sales of their device, and I suspect it's working. Amazon is the 800lb gorilla in the ebook market, and more than happy to use its size and weight to achieve its goals.

Amazon isn't a manufacturer. They contract out actual production of the Kindle to some Chinese manufacturer, and simply handle sales, distribution, and support, which is something they already do anyway as part of their web operations.

The only questions, which we haven't enough information to answer, are how well the Kindle is selling, whether it's meeting their projections, and whether it makes enough money to justify continuing to offer it. Since they are still actively pushing it, it appears the answers to the last two questions are "yes".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Found this on the net yes it is an old article but it still applies with this recent announcement.

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/12...-past-30-days/

JJ
Interesting article. So, if books are already available in the .epub format (which I think they are,) can they be read on the Sony or does there need to be some way to convert them?

I think I'm just finding this whole proliferation of eBook formats to be a bit mind numbing and I'm so frustrated with the way Sony's Connect handles their billing, that I really want to find some other source for current books, and I'm not finding much of what I want in places like FictionWise's Multiformat section, so I'm hoping something will come along. In some ways I wish I'd taken more time and maybe gotten a different reader - maybe one that deals in Mobipocket, since that seems to be the most popular. I got the files and such for the de-DRMing script to convert some DRM'd books to a readable format, but I'm apparently nowhere geeky enough to figure out how to get it tor work, the only instructions I've found don't make sense, and and the forums here - appropriately and understandably - don't allow discussing how to find it or get it to work, so I'm just kind of adrift at the moment. Oh well. I've got a bunch of stuff now saved up to read - maybe by the time I'm done with all that something may change
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
Interesting article. So, if books are already available in the .epub format (which I think they are,) can they be read on the Sony or does there need to be some way to convert them?
I emailed Sony about the whole Epub/Adobe issue and got the standard "not at this time" Email.

Quote:
I think I'm just finding this whole proliferation of eBook formats to be a bit mind numbing and I'm so frustrated with the way Sony's Connect handles their billing
What is the issue with the Billing? If is the fact that you get billed separately for each book? I havent bought from alot of vendors but from what I gather Kindle works the same way, I dont know about the rest though I have see the shopping cart option on a few other sites.

JJ