Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
CNet - Top 5 ways Android beats iPad

Top 5 ways:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/ways-android-...6.html?tag=api

BMW Future connectivity:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/bmw-vision-co...5.html?tag=api

Last edited by kennyc; 03-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Ars (10 page long) Xoom review:

Quote:
If you are looking for the best tablet available today, then look no further than Cupertino.
Quote:
Although this review has largely been negative, I want to make it clear that I'm not completely dismissing Android as a tablet platform. The basic elements we are seeing in Honeycomb are compelling, and there is a lot of potential under the hood. Android has a long way to go before it's competitive with iOS on tablets, but it could have a lot to offer when it finally catches up.
Quote:
The Bad:

The software is not particularly stable or robust
Requires a proprietary power adapter and can't charge through microUSB
Users have to rely on the MTP protocol to manage media on the device
The built-in e-mail client has extremely poor protocol support
There are very few third-party Android applications designed for the form factor
The Google Books e-book application doesn't support side-loading content
Very few websites handle the Honeycomb browser's User-Agent string correctly
The browser's support for advanced CSS3 features lags behind Safari's

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...la-xoom.ars/10
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

So an Apple Fanboy wrote a blog and gave it a so so review, his "bad" are moronic, it's email system has been hailed as one of if not the best, not robust, just laughing at that. Go look at the speed tests done on Cnet and other sites. the Xoom put the org. iPad to shame, so if the Xoom is faster than the org. iPad then was the iPad not robust, but sluggish.

Catch the Chicken Rock!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/m...blet-arrives/6

another example of his "Bad" is "You can't sideload Google Books" is this dude a moron? Google books is intergrated into the UI/OS. It's a GOOGLE machine OS Is he not aware Android is owned by Google, for crying out load, there is no need to sideload them, they are part of your Google books account .

Seriously Rock, I'd be ashamed at posting this as a valid review.

webbrowing lags behind Safari, that's another one I had to laugh at, Having tab browsing alone puts Safari to shame.

I have no problems with fanboys writing blogs and reviewing competitors but man at least try a little not to LOOK like a fanboy when trying to come across as beign subjective.

This review = Toss

Last edited by boswd; 03-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
So an Apple Fanboy wrote a blog and gave it a so so review
Android fans do themselves no favors by calling every negative review biased. Go hunt around at his previous writings and you'll see that he's quite the OSS fan. He wants Android to win...but he's a realist too.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The link you proved takes you to the BMW video here is the 5 Top ways Android Beats the iPad.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What? Sorry about that! I'll edit the OP

I swear I checked that...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Man, am I glad I bought an Advent Vega. I didn't expect this Xoom tablet to be so disappointing. No SD card support from the start? Seriously?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
kennyc

Yeah it totally sucks! ... NOT!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
RockdaMan
Banned

Another from an Android fan:

Quote:
The dual-core Tegra processor is a very fast CPU, but the XOOM regularly bogs down with several things running. This will need to be addressed, either in updates to Honeycomb or by Motorola.
Quote:
Unfortunately, while some third party apps are prone to crash under Honeycomb, even Google’s core apps exhibit problems regularly. I have used the XOOM heavily for over a week, and every session longer than 15 minutes is likely to have at least one app crash, the system hanging up or the entire system rebooting. This can happen while running a Google app as easily as a third party app. The overall impression is that Honeycomb is not quite ready for heavy use yet.
Quote:
The Motorola XOOM hardware is very well executed, and when LTE is enabled it will be the fastest mobile device around. Both the XOOM and Honeycomb show great potential to turn the tablet into a great mobile device. While a tad heavy for prolonged use in the hand, the XOOM is otherwise comfortable and fun to use. The display is beautiful and the Honeycomb interface looks gorgeous.

The problems I encountered using the XOOM can be attributed to the newness of Honeycomb. These will no doubt be remedied with updates by Google and Motorola, and I suspect the system will be a solid product in the not-to-distant future. Unfortunately, at $799 the XOOM is awfully expensive to be in essence a beta test device, and I can’t recommend buying the XOOM until the issues get addressed.
Quote:
I have no doubt the Motorola XOOM will live up to the great potential I can see in the device, but it needs a little more time. I would wait before pulling out my credit card.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...e_skin;content
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
kennyc

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can start posting negative comments on iPads and positive things on Xoom. But I'm not going to stoop to fanboi levels.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'd like to see positive takes on what Xoom can do now, really. So far I've not seen many. While doubtlessly the reality deflection field of Apple's marketing has affected many usually balanced people, Xoom's current shortcomings seem patent.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'd like to see positive takes on what Xoom can do now, really. So far I've not seen many. While doubtlessly the reality deflection field of Apple's marketing has affected many usually balanced people, Xoom's current shortcomings seem patent.
Go to Verizon and play with each. Using the Xooms interface compared to the iPads is like comparing the Superman Ride at Six Flags to the tea cup ride Disney World

the Xoom you get 3D graphics for 5 customizable screens that feels like a combonation of Tron meet minority report in how you interact and navigate through the applications and such.

the iPad - tiles and tiles and tile and tiles and tiles oooops what is this I swiped too far to the right, Ohhh just a keyboard, ok back to tiles and more tiles. (Egads man someone put me out of my misery)
Apple's UI is about exciting as watching a slow cooker heat up your dinner.. not very.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
You're not looking very hard then. Including the article linked in the OP.

I'm loving my Xoom. It's got it all over iPad, in memory, speed, screen resolution, expandability and openness.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Well you can read several posters on this site and their comments.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122969

Personally I feel tech reviews have gone the way of movie critics where their reviews/opions no longer mirror the public. (You either have fandboy doing reviews or paid sell outs).

The only reviews I do tend to listen to are those that give good details and really get into the guts of the products. One page reviews and CNet type shows need not apply.

Here is a good review.

The problem is most reviews focus on the negative and not on the good. Example if you look at fanboy's post #2 you'll see all the negative also apply to the iPad/iPad2, except maybe one or two.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Go to Verizon and play with each. Using the Xooms interface compared to the iPads is like comparing the Superman Ride at Six Flags to the tea cup ride Disney World
I love you for this line. I may disagree, but I love it.