Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
Some help please!

I just finished reading a quite nice book on a very interesting subject.

The author has released the eBook version of his book to download for free under a Creative Commons licence.

I'm wondering now if:

a) Is it OK to upload the book on the forum or are we supposed to upload only PD books here?

If the answer is yes:

b) The book is in PDF format without any pictures. I read it on my PRS-350 which has a relatively small screen and the text was perfectly readable. Should I nonetheless convert it into another format before uploading it? If yes, then in your oponion which format is the best/most widely used?

Thanks in advance for any info.
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlioness View Post

The author has released the eBook version of his book to download for free under a Creative Commons licence.

I'm wondering now if:

a) Is it OK to upload the book on the forum or are we supposed to upload only PD books here?

If the answer is yes:

b) The book is in PDF format without any pictures. I read it on my PRS-350 which has a relatively small screen and the text was perfectly readable. Should I nonetheless convert it into another format before uploading it? If yes, then in your oponion which format is the best/most widely used?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I would probably post the link for the book in the Deals, Freebies forum area here on MR, stating that the author has offered his book for free downloads, and here it is with a good description & what you liked about it!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends on the exact CC terms it has been released under. In general, you can upload it here, and you can convert it to any other format you wish, but read the license to be sure.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlioness View Post

I'm wondering now if:

Read the licence. That should make it perfectly clear whether format conversion and redistribution is permitted. There are different types of CC licence, so you'll need to read it and find out what this particular licence permits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
Hey guys, thanks so much for the help!

I found out that this is the exact licence:

Quote:
This work is released under a Creative Commons License:
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License
You are free:
to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the
work).
Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the
resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
So, I'll do a spell check and quick proofreading and I'll upload it here in epub and mobi (once I figure out how to do that as I've only started to use Calibre).

Hope that will be enough but if you guys have any other suggestions, do let me know

Cheers!
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert